You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Those small but useful things!

Around our homes, offices, perhaps even outdoors somewhere, there are those little things (little in terms of size) that are not quite little in terms of utility and functionality. Let's take something as simple as the foot pedal on a closed dustbin. It is so convenient not to have to bend to lift the lid of the dustbin! Then there is the curved feature at the end of a stapler that is a great tool to remove a stapled pin from a set of attached papers.

Let's see what you can come up with-
    At home
    At work
    In the garden
    In a public space
    - or anywhere you can think of where such little things make our life easier.
    At home...A pen stand on the table with a pen and a pencil in it should be there because many times it is needed and I find family members searching for it to note down something important.

Small things look small but some of these small things are very useful in our day to day lives.
    Small magnets keep the doors of cupboard fixed in their places. A small safety pin can be utilised in various useful ways. A small pocket outside of the bag can be a great place for keeping coins on the go. In many medicine tablets there is an engraved line in the middle. It is useful when we want to make two equal pieces of that tablet.
    In many gadgets there are small dots at some places which might look useless to us but they are there to help the blind people to find out the operating panel or keypad.

Knowledge is power.

We purchase ear drops and eye drops from medical shops. In earlier days to puncture the rubber cap provided inside the bottle, we were using some pins. But now the caps are designed in such a way that by inverting the lid and fixing it on the top, the puncturing will takes place. We need not use a separate device to puncture it.
    Self-inking pads are very useful. In earlier days we were using pads on which we have to pour ink separately to have thumb impressions and stamping. But now we are getting self-inking stamps as well as self-inking pads.
    Self-adhesive tapes made our life easy. We need not apply adhesive separately. Small small devices like this made our life easy in almost all places.
    We all used to have alarm clocks. We have to use a battery or spring in those alarm clocks. But smartphones made our life easy. No more alarm clocks.

drrao
    always confident

The eraser behind a pencil, the filler inside fountain pens, gas lighters, remote controls of different electronic equipment etc are few of the items I am able to recollect now.
    'Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.' -Miles Kington

Glad to see quite a lot of things that are considered useful. The dots mentioned by Umesh for visually impaired people is also a point to note, and on currency, too, there is the Braille feature that may simply be considered as part of the design, but it is vital for them.

Have you also ever used a piece of paper in a useful way? When folded and made a bit thick, it can be wedged beneath the feet of cupboards or other furniture that is slightly off-balance. I have done so, as also to wedge shut a loose window net grille with it.

I would like to share some interesting information here about Lillian Evelyn Gilbreth, about whom I read in the book Women in Science by Rachel Ignotofsky and which inspired me to come up with this topic. In the section on Lillian, it is mentioned how she came up with useful things that would aid in work efficiency. Her pioneering inventions included the foot pedal on the garbage can and shelves in the fridge. It was her wonderful work on ergonomics and motion studies that led to new tools and even layouts for kitchens that would cut down on women's time in the kitchen to a few hours, such as what has come to be known as the 'work triangle' which is the what determines the distance from the sink to the cooking range. Kudos to her!

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

• Sign In to post your comments