You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Whether the sweets and savouries made in your house or bought for this deepavali

Normally in those days the sweets and savouries for the festivals especially for Deepavali are prepared in houses by house ladies.
    In villages two or three house ladies collectively prepare them with small planning and share themselves.
    In our house as the number of members are high my mother and aunt prepare everything even before three to four days before the festival.
    In South India, there is a practice of preparing a medicinal paste called Lehyam for Deepavali festival. After having oil bath and wearing new dress the eldest person of the house offer the lehyam first to all persons and then only everybody sat round and share the sweets and savouries.
    Nowadays since the number of persons are less and house ladies are engaged themselves with their office work, many of us bought everything from shop or some contract sweet preparing persons. As for as the lehyam also we get from the country medicine shops of our area in readymade as powder and by mixing the same with water and ghee we can prepare lehyam. In some places we get the lehyam itself in a prepared manner.
    This lehyam is made of dry ginger. pepper, ajwain, dried long pepper, dried long pepper root, Thai ginger, cumin seeds, jaggery powder. Initially we have to soak all the above in water for two hours and grind them, after draining the water, into a good paste level with some water. By heating gingely oil, ghee in a pan we can add the paste grinded above and make stirring to a good level of paste in low flame. When came into a good condition we can switch off the stove and by adding small unit of honey in the mix and can get transferred into a good dried jar or bottle which can be used for more days without touching wet hand/spoon.
    This is a high medicine for all type of stomach disorders.
    I remember that there was a time when there was no question of bringing sweets from the market. That was the last resort. We prepared so many things in the house - gujia, laddoo, burfi, sour snacks etc. Of course one of the reasons why we prepared everything in home was that it was very economical to do so. Other thing which is always there is that homemade items are very fresh and nourishing. During that time we exchanged homemade items with our friends, relatives, and neighbours. Children were always curious to find out what sweet came in exchange from other houses. It was really a great fun in all those activities. Today that trend has gone down and very few people are preparing the Diwali items in the house. Most of the people are buying it from the market.
    Knowledge is power.

This time in our house two varieties of sweets are made for Deepawali. One variety of dry fruit sweet is brought by purchasing outside. Haldirams sweet packets are also purchased. So two varieties are made in-house and two varieties are bought out.
    During my childhood days, my grandmother and my mother used to prepare sweets in our house only. But not many varieties. There was no practice of purchasing from outside. My wife also will make sweets in the house. They are generally traditional varieties. But my children want a mix of both traditional as well as new varieties. So they will bring some special items from outside.
    Overall, there is a reduction in the consumption of sweets in our house. I rarely eat them and the same is the case with my wife also. But my elder son and his wife are fond of sweets. My second son and his wife eat sweets very limited. So my wife will prepare some other snacks also so that we all can enjoy homemade food.

drrao
    always confident

Still, in our family, our family ladies prepare sweets and snacks on their own for all festivals. We do not buy sweets from shops. We buy sweets in shops only when a guest comes to our home or we go to our relative's house. For the Diwali festival, we usually make sweets like Somas, Adhirasam, Globe Jamun, Murukku, etc. I even don't know the names of most of the sweets I eat. We share all the homemade preparations with our relative's home if it is nearby us in reachable distance.

In my village life 10 years back, we always share the sweets preparations with all our neighbor houses. But now in the metro city, we don't do that. Mostly, we do not know or talk to each other in the nearby houses.

Thanks & regards
    Selvakumaran Krishnan

While looking our past days, we were enjoying the sweets made at home with the active involvements of ladies. They were experts in preparing the different varieties of sweets and of the varieties were superior both in terms of taste and quality. The trend has almost disappeared except the minor appearance in some homes. Though the restaurants are preparing different varieties of sweets but it lack the freshness and tangy tastes of our home products.
    The kids even like the sweets sent by their close relatives by way of exchange. Such exchanges remind us of our stronger ties with our friends and relatives believing the exchange of sweets and snacks in the festive times.

Recently during the Diwali festival I found that some of the ladies of our housing society collectively prepared a good amount of sweets and homemade snacks and then distributed to their friends and relatives. They told me that it was difficult to make large quantity alone in the house and by collective efforts they got a good amount made almost within the same time. I feel that is a good collaborative action on the part of these ladies.
    Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments