You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is this what they call a declining rupee?

I am attaching a photo which is self-explanatory regarding the title of this thread.
    Readers may have varied responses and reactions on this matter- some purely academic, some explanatory and justifying or opposing, and some satirical. People may have optimistic, pessimistic and agnostic views on this. Whatever be they, I would like your response in this connection.
    The author has the genuine concern for the recent development where we can see the value of rupees is declining steadily and this might be attributable to several factors including the ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine. This is showing its effects almost in all the countries and continuation of this phase is really disappointing for all of us. Recovery of this effect might take longer time to retrieve the present situation if such a war is continuing. Let there be end of the war though the present after effects will take its own time to restore the economic health of most of the countries.

Wow, an interesting collection of coins and a one-rupee note. The title of the post is quite apt. The value of the rupee is indeed declining not only in just dollar terms but also in purchasing power. As for the declining size of the coins, it makes sense, since the cost of producing the coin itself might be more than the value of the coin. Wonder if a day may come when there won't be any denominations less than rupees ten or they may revalue the currency. Inflation is the bane here and as long it is there, it will continue to devalue the purchasing power of the rupee. The United States and some of the western countries, including Japan, were lucky in this respect for the last few decades, as the inflation was minimal and the value of their currencies remained the same. Not so now, as they are experiencing never before seen inflation rates almost equivalent to us developing countries.
    Patience and perseverance pays

The size is decreasing. The value is decreasing and the purchasing power of the rupee is also decreasing. When I was in my B.Sc, one rupee is more than sufficient for me to go to college, take lunch in a hotel and come back home. A student now is spending about Rs.50/- for the same exercise. That means the value of the rupee came down almost 50 times. The present one-rupee coin size is much less than the old coin size. Even the size of the rupee note also has come down. Anyhow, we know when India became independent Rs 1/- rupee is equal to one dollar. Now one dollar is equal to almost 80 rupees. This is an indication of how the value of the rupee is declined over a period of time.
    We are not seeing 25 paise coins or 50 paise coins. Now rs.1/- is not sufficient to purchase even a bar of chocolate. Even a beggar is not accepting one rupee coin as a donation. These days even Rs.100/- note is also not having any value.

drrao
    always confident

Yes, the size of the coins is declining and the value of the rupee is also declining. Maybe since the value is decreasing the authorities have found a way to reduce the cost of production by decreasing the size of the coins. I do not know the actual reason behind the decline in size but just gave my views. The size of the coins of some denominations is almost equal which creates confusion at times. In whatever way we think of this decline, this is not quite encouraging.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

@767265 "The size of the coins of some denominations is almost equal which creates confusion at times"
    Yes, in fact, I was a bit confused when I received the smallest two rupee coin as balance from a shopkeeper the other day. But before asking him I verified once more and found it to be a 2-rupee coin and not a one-rupee coin.

Earlier days each coin used to have some distinguishing shape and thickness so that those who are having vision problems can easily identify the right denomination coin. This was also the case of currency notes.
    The authorities may have their own problem of balancing the metal and making cost with that of the denomination value.

But as far as this is the state of affairs, it will be a practical problem to elders and those with vision problems and also in places not having bright lighting.

• Sign In to post your comments