You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread is the co-winner of a Special Prize in the topic based TOW contest for Nov '22 on the topic 'Precision'.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Excessive precision and the outcome in our life

It is beneficial to be able to accomplish all tasks with high precision. However, this precision can often be damaging to personal relationships, family bonds, behavior at work, and day-to-day activities. Wanting 100% perfection in everything is unhealthy, and when it doesn't happen, it generates a lot of emotional distress. Excessive precision thinking can lead to poor relations, depression, and a variety of other medical issues. A tendency to hold back because perfect accuracy cannot be achieved can block a person's improvement. In life, everyone experiences both success and failure. When a person working in information technology works with the intention to be 100% accurate in his work but does not achieve the perfection he desires, it results in significant frustration and depression. And gradually loses interest in the job. A child who has always gotten first place in every subject from a young age reaches a moment where he is unable to earn the same level of marks as previously, causing significant disappointment and even leading to the choice to die. As it is said that too much is nectar and poison, too much precision is also fatal.

This is my entry for thread of the week contest Nov 22'.
    I think accuracy and perfection need not be 100%. But precision is important. Precision will allow us to know where we are. When there is no precision in our talks they are not reliable, I feel.
    I agree with the author that achieving 100% accuracy in our works may be really difficult. But there is nothing wrong with aiming that. When we aim at 100% we may land at 80% or 90%. Generally achieving what we aim for is very difficult. So we should always aim for a little more than what we can achieve and see that we will be somewhere near. But there should be consistency in the work that we do and that should be reliable.

drrao
    always confident

High precision may not be necessary and may be inconvenient at certain situations.
    Let me mention about one practical situation I have experienced. I had gone to an eye hospital for a routine precautionary check up, as I use specs. As usual the juniors and interns did all the preliminary testing and check ups with related aids or equipment. After checking with the computerized machine, anther doctor verified it with the lens added. At that time I told the doctor about the discomfort I feel when a particular combination was used. The doctor disputed that and said that what was used as per test values from the computerised testing. I was sent again for the same computerised test and the doctor said the values are same. Then they prescribed for a new specs.

That new specs did not give me comfortable vision even after using for some days. So for my own sake I discontinued and started using my old specs.

Our vision is adjusted as per distance and light by our eye muscles. That is a response and reaction mechanism. But the computerised perfect value is actually a theoretical value and it may not suit practically all times and situations. So sometimes precision is not necessary in many day to ay practical situations.

I feel the thread is more about striving for perfection in relationships, day to day tasks at home or work place and so on. On the other hand, precision is more related to measurements and trying to be close to a certain value. Precision in one way is good virtue, as you for example tend to start for your office, college or school always at the same time, so as to catch the bus, train in time. It is more to do with discipline, which is good anyway. Perfection on the hand is not always desired, as it may not be worth the effort spent. At times, it is good to be imperfect as long as it doesn't not affect our relationships with others or our work at the workplace. There have been many occasions when striving for perfection have led to souring of relationships and delays in work.
    Patience and perseverance pays

• Sign In to post your comments