Active GD- Do we have the right to destroy public property? Yes or No?Do we, as citizens of this nation, governed by the Constitution, have the right to destroy the public property of a person or the nation? That is the question. But again, is a dissenting voice punishable? Can I react and to what extent? This Active GD is being raised with reference to the thread by Partha at I like these rules and lot many decisions by different Courts in India, especially the recent one by the Kerala High Court directing the government to recover the amount for the damages caused by the Popular Front.
We are expecting responses from the heart without any political inclinations. Let us be true to ourselves.
The thread by Partha is basically inclined and so we thought of discussing the matter in total.
The amendment to the rules of the JNU University regarding compensation to be paid in case of destruction to public property is commendable and needs to be adhered to by all. It is not just about JNU or campuses across the nation but should be related to all protests.
Do you think we have the right to destroy public property? is there anything wrong in holding a dissenting opinion? If yes, why, and if no why? Please discuss as common citizens why we resort to such incidents. Is that advisable? And what are the remedies?
General guidelines for adherence – (Please read and follow them strictly)
1. Please do not post responses that are not relevant to the GD in this thread.
2. Read and understand the topic properly before coming up with arguments.
3. Please stick to the topic. Do not deviate from the main subject. It is quite natural to draw connections or make references but one must make it a point to get back to the topic of discussion. Any deviation from the main topic that is likely to affect the flow of a discussion is not advisable. Take a stand and fight for it and avoid trying to maintain a balance.
4. Do try to add on or elaborate on points already submitted instead of harping on the same point in different words time and again. It would be better if you distribute your arguments between the responses you intend to post instead of covering up all of them in one go. Please give detailed responses with valid points to support your argument.
5. Do not get personal. Each participant in a debate is free to choose his stand and though one can and has to challenge and try to disprove another's point, it should be limited to the views only and not on a personal level. Let us not discard dignity and decency for the sake of cementing a view.
6. All the posting guidelines as per the policy of ISC are applicable in this GD too. Any violation thereof will not be acceptable.
Important- Let us not be politically excited.
Let us have a healthy, active, and fruitful discussion. The GD will close on the 5th of March 2023. (Extended till 06th as the thread was locked by mistake)
The best participants selected will be awarded a cash reward of Rs 150/- each. Other participants will also be considered for cash rewards if found eligible.