You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Learn twenty bombastic words, use these in your writing & speech and impress people (Part-I)

It's again time to learn some bombastic English words which we do not generally use. We may try to learn these words, use frequently and impress others.

Without wasting time, let's start to learn. Today I will write the meaning of first ten.

(a) The space between your two eyebrows is called 'glabella'.
    (b) The particular smell coming from the soil after a rain is called 'petrichor'.
    (c) There is a plastic/metallic coating at the end of shoelaces. This coating is called 'aglet'.
    (d) Tumbling of stomach is called 'wamble'.
    (e) The sweet cry of a new-born baby is called 'vagitus'.
    (f) The day after tomorrow is known as 'overmorrow'.
    (g) Little tow/finger is called 'minimus'.
    (h) Do you find it difficult to get out of the bed in the morning? This condition is called 'dysania'.
    (i) Wired cage which holds the bottle of champagne is known as 'agraffe'.
    (j) Prongs of a fork are called 'tines'.

Please learn these ten words and wait for the second part.
    English language is having a large number of words in its vocabulary. The beauty of English language is that it is very adaptive and takes words from every nook and corner of the world. That is the main reason why English dictionary is so voluminous.
    The words mentioned by the author in this post are looking strange to us because they are not in regular use. But there are some literary authors and writers who occasionly use such words in their compositions and the readers can sometimes get the meaning by the reference or looking up its meaning in a dictionary.

Knowledge is power.

It is another series of the author making us familiar with the different unusual words which are rare in usage but carries the importance of such words in some situations. I do appreciate the richness of this language in the sense that it adaptive in nature taking many words from the different languages even retaining its supreme position.
    The author has taken his pain to include some of the rare words in the present series for the benefit of the members. Hope he will continue such series even in the upcoming time enriching our knowledge with the interesting words of this rich language.

A very good collection from th author and thanks for the same. The words mentioned by the author are very new to me. I will try to use them in some sentences so that I can remember them.
    We will be keeping Kumkum on our Glabella
    I have to change my shoelaces as 'Aglet' on the present shoelace is got spoiled,
    I have to go to Jhansi on Overmorrow.
    All the members can try some sentences using these words so that we will remember them for long.
    I think the author will be coming out with some more words like this as he mentioned this thread as Part 1.

drrao
    always confident

I appreciate the author for the efforts put in by him to collect these bombastic words with their meaning. I personally feel the aim of communication either verbal or written is to make the other person understand what we want to convey in a simple understandable manner. Using these bombastic words may lose the very purpose of communication. The Collins Dictionary defines "Vagitus" as the newborn baby's first cry. Try using it in conversation and it looks ridiculous. The Collins Dictionary also shows the usage of this word over a period of time. The graph displayed clearly indicates the frequency of its usage from 0.45 in 1717 to 0.00 in 2008.

I do not mean to play down the efforts put in by the author but such words make understanding difficult.
    I do accept that the intention of the author is to introduce some words which may not be much in use but to educate the members.

" Be Good and Do Good "

#774709: When one Dr. Tharoor can impress people (especially people of opposite sex) using bombastic words in English sentences, why can't Partha K. or any other member of ISC even try to do the same?
    (a) Those who have forgotten Noakhali, how can they protest Sandeshkhali?
    (b) Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. ---------- Salvador Dali

I am reminded of ''Tharoorspeak' and 'Tharoorosaurus".'

There may be many tools, but the technician should know ho to use and where to use effectively. While it is good to have more and words added to our vocabulary reserve, it is only with more interaction with books and persons like Tharoor one can use these unique words. Just a the fine fusion of ragas in music, effective use of unique and different suitable words in one's speech or writings is also an art. Jus as art, the artist has to have the tools and materials and a creative talent too. More and more experience and exposure can contribute to some extent.

Except 'petrichor' all others are new to me.

I appreciate the author's effort in imparting knowledge about terminology which is so much related to our day to day lives. How often do we often miss to analyse and evaluate the events which are so minute but has major consequence on our daily activities. Moreover, difficulty in getting up early morning, who doesn't suffer from this condition called dysania, obviously everyone, but rarely do we sit and ponder about why does it happen. To be curious to know the happenings around us give us one more reason to learn something new and enhance our knowledge. I am eagerly waiting for the next part of this section.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

I am aware of petrichor, anglet, and tines.

It is not necessary that a word is bombastic in nature (talking "hi fi" as one would say!) merely because somebody does not understand what it means. People with an excellent grasp of vocabulary may use words very naturally in a conversation, and not necessarily to impress. There may also be some people who would purposely use a word just to see if anyone reacts and inquires as to its meaning and is keen that others learn a new word. Take, for example, the word tines. At the dining table, instead of simply saying to use the fork, a mother may tell her child that it is easier to hold the fried potato chips with the tines of the fork. The child would likely say, "What? Tines?! What is that?" and the mother would explain the meaning of tines. It thus becomes a learning experience.

Even a news report may sometimes come across as verbose content, but on re-reading the sentences it will be contextually right and not bombastic.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Something amusing- the word glabella is mentioned, referring to the gap between the eyebrows. Do you know the word for the gap between the mustache? It is called philtrum. The amusing part is that there are people who don't like this gap, so a whole lot of advisories you would find online on making it less obtrusive to improve one's looks!!

Something knowledgeable and not bombastic - the gap between the two front teeth is called Diastema. While those in the modelling and entertainment fields would be keen to close it at an orthodontist's, most people, including me, are not at all vexed by it.

Athirst Part-II!

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

It seems that some members are athirst for the second part. So, I am going to post it today.

Here is the link: Part-II

(a) Those who have forgotten Noakhali, how can they protest Sandeshkhali?
    (b) Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. ---------- Salvador Dali

• Sign In to post your comments