You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Learn twenty bombastic words, use these in your writing & speech and impress people (Part-II)

(Continued from Part-I)

Here are the next ten bombastic words/phrases:

(a) The space between nostrils is known as 'columella nasi'.
    (b) The dot which we put over English letter 'i' or 'j' is known as 'tittle'.
    (c) The sick feeling which we get after eating or drinking a lot is called 'crapulence'.
    (d) Illegible handwriting is called 'griffonage'.
    (e) When you go to purchase shoes/sandals from a sophisticated sales outlet, the salesman measures your feet with a device. This device is called 'Brannock Device'.
    (f) Combine a question mark and an exclamation mark, you will get an 'interrobang' (?!).
    (g) The shape or outline of the armhole where the sleeves are sewn is known as 'armscye'.
    (h) The 'na-na-na' or 'la-la-la' sound (which is meaningless) in a song is called 'vocable'.
    (i) The tiny plastic placed in the middle of a pizza box is called 'box tent'.
    (j) The last one is really tough. Close your eyes and press your hands on them. The sheen of light you see/feel is called 'phosphenes'.

So, learn these words/phrases, use properly and earn tremendous respect from others.
    In these twenty words, I heard 'Tittle'. But this is not used by many of us. But knowing such terms is very important I feel. They will be helpful to sometimes to express our ideas adequately. The author has taken pains to collect the information and share the same for our benefit. I thank him a lot for the same.
    Some sentences use some of the words mentioned above by the author.
    Many doctors' handwritings are griffonage especially when they write prescriptions. Only medical shopkeepers can understand their writings.
    The song in this movie has many Vocables.

drrao
    always confident

Out of this list, just two words I do know, and I don't consider either as bombastic. I vaguely recall reading about phosphenes some years ago. On seeing the word interrobang I immediately recalled this highly interesting discussion initiated by Bhushan in which Sun, Gypsy, Juana, and Kailash Kumar also participated. Thanks to that thread, we learned something new. I really miss those types of forum interactions! The regular presence of those members in the forum is missed, too.

On using the search box, I also found an older thread on names of common punctuation marks

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

These words are also tough just like the words given in the part-1 of this series by the author. The problem with these tough and the little known words is that people do not use them and when people do not use them they remain in hiding.
    Anyway, some of these words are very very interesting and creative writers can use them occasionally.

Knowledge is power.

The author is trying his best to update our information relating to the difficult words which we might be termed as the bombastic words. The words mentioned by him are equally tough as witnessed in the first series. Whenever I glance over the prescriptions of most of the doctors, I frequently remember the term griffonage as indicated by the author. Most of the modern songs in Hindi contain some vocables.
    The attempts made by the author seem to be quite constructive and at least we will realise the importance of English having tremendous potentials to impact the readers of the other languages with their rich words including the bombastic ones. The attempt of the author is encouraging.

• Sign In to post your comments