Happy Makar sankranti to all ISC-iatesWishing all the members in ISC and thier families a very Happy Makar Sankranti. Makar Sankranti is a major harvest festival celebrated in various parts of India. The myth is that, Sun God meet his son Saturn (Shani) on this day. It is one among the festivals which is celebrated other than India.
Makar Sankranti is known by various names in different parts of India and outside India. The names along with the respective places are listed below:
* Makar Sankranti or Sankranti - Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Goa, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Manipur, Orissa, Sikkim, Uttar Pradesh, Uttaranchal and West Bengal.
* Uttarayan- Gujarat and Rajasthan
* Maghi - Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab
* Pongal - Tamil Nadu
* Magh Bihu or Bhogali Bihu - Assam Valley
* Shishur Saenkraat - Kashmir Valley
* Makara Vilakku Festival - Sabarimala Temple (Kerala)
* Nepal : Tharu people - Maghi , Other people - Maghe Sankranti or Maghe Sakrati
* Thailand - Songkran
* Laos - Pi Ma Lao
* Myanmar - Thingyan
* Cambodia - Moha Sangkran