You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Who is Usha Mehta ?

I request all the members of this site to discuss this thread "Who is Usha Mehta ?
    Everyone knows that we are free . We have achieved freedom . But none of them tries to know that the freedom of our nation is whose contribution. Usha Mehta is a prominent gandhian leader. She organised a secret radio station during Quit India movement in 1942.
    Thanks a lots
    Yes, Usha Mehta was a follower of Gandhiji and participated in India's freedom movement. It was she who organised the secret Congress Radio. It was an underground radio stationed which was in operation only for a few months during the Quit India Movement agitation started by Mahatma Gandhi in 1942. She was honoured by the Indian government although quite belated in 1998 when she was given the award of Padma Vibhushan, the second highest civilian award of India.

She was born in a small village in the Surat district of Gujarat on March 25, 1920. She was influenced by Gandhiji at a very young age and started wearing Khadi. She was only eight years old when she participated in the protest march against Simon Commission in 1928. She moved from New Delhi to Mumbai during the Quit India Movement and hoisted the tricolour on August 9, 1942 at Gawalia Tank Ground there which was later known as August Kranti Maidan. The police found here secret radio station on November 12, 1942 and she was arrested and sentenced to four years imprisonment from 1942 to 1946.

Usha Mehta did not favour the partition of the country. She did not join active politics after independence owing to her failing health. She completed her Ph.D from University of Mumbai and was associated with this university for quite a long time. She was the head of the department of civics and politics at this university till her retirement in 1980. She wrote several articles in English and Gujarati. She had a peaceful death on August 11, 2000 at the age of 80.

"Teaching is my passion and sharing knowledge is my motto"
    Regards,
    Sukhdev Singh
    Lead Editor Forums Section

Very nice to see such a valuable post here, I was not even knowing this.It is very motivating to see that she hold such an esteemed post and she was much into education as well.
    But what happened to her Radio?
    Did she continue with that, and I hope she must have been active on AIR too.

Regards
    Iti Tyagi
    "Soar to Success"

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

Delete Attachment

Usha Mehta was a great freedom fighter who participated in India's freedom struggle. This is a very good piece of information as many people don't even know about her.

This question was also asked in Civil Services Prelims Exam in June 2011, and I did answer it.But, I didn't know so much about her. Thanks to the valuable responses, I have gained more knowledge on this topic.

A very good piece of information about a freedom fighter and the elaborated details given by Mr. Sukhdev singh. It is a valuable thread post at ISC for the members to remember and update their knowledge. Thanks to the author Ashok and Editor Sukhdev Singh.
    No life without Sun

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.