You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

The gift of Christmas.

Christmas was about to approach in two days. A poor couple lived Della and Jim. They both were planning secretly to surprise each other with presents on Christmas. Della just had one dollar and eighty-seven cents. There was nothing that could be bought in just that much. Della felt sorry for herself, she kept pondering about how to make more money in just a few days. She straight went to her room, and stood in front of a mirror. Della pulled down her hair and let it fall to its length. Her hair was quite long, it came below her knees. Then she got an idea. She now cut her hair and she went on to sell her hair. Soon she saw a shop where she could sell her hair. Della ran up the steps to the shop, out of breath.Della asked "will you buy my hair?". "Twenty dollars" said the shopkeeper. Della found it a good price for the hair. Taking the money, Della now went on to search a gliding gold watch for Jim. Soon she found a good one, simple and elegant. It was worth twenty one dollars. Della had twenty one dollars and eighty-seven cents. Now she was left with eighty-seven cents. She ran to her house,She was now eager to gift Jim the present. And here was Jim working as hard as he could to buy a nice and beautiful present for his wife. He had less money but still he somehow managed to buy a gift. He thought to buy some clips. He bought a beautiful set of clips. It was the day of Christmas they both surprised each other but Jim was unhappy because now that Della had cut her hair what was the use of the clips. Della said "I am happy that you brought such a nice gift for me, don't be sad my hair would grow again". It was now Della's turn to give the gift. Jim was shocked to see the gift he asked "where did you got this expensive who gave you money?". Della explained him. They both were happy with the presents and celebrated their Christmas with happiness and joy.
    'The Gift of the Magi'------------------------- William Sydney Porter (O. Henry)
    Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. ---------- Salvador Dali

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.