Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 14 Dec 2007 Posted By:: Sri Member Level: Gold Points: 5 (₹ 1)
2006 Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad B.Tech Civil Engineering III/Sem1 Regular (NOV)Set 1,STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING DESIGN AND DRAWING-I(RCC) Question paper
Code No: RR310103 Set No. 1
III B.Tech I Semester Regular Examinations, November 2006
STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING DESIGN AND DRAWING-I(RCC)
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any ONE Question from PART-A
and any THREE Questions from PART-B
Note:Assume suitable data whenever necessary
Use of IS codes & Structural Tables is permitted
1. Design the Flexural Reinforcement for the Rectangular concrete Beam of size 250mm ×400mm simply supported an two marmarry walls 230mm thick and 6m apart. The Beam has to carry in addition to its own weight, a distributed live load of10kN/m, dead load of 5 kN/m and a concentrated dead load of 30kN placed at
the mid span point. Assume that the Beam in subjected to moderate exposure
conditions and grade of steel Fe 415 used. Draw suitable scale longitudinal section and cross section of the Beam
2. Design an Isolated footing for a column 300mm x 500 mm reinforced with 6-25mmdia bars with Fe 415 steel and M25 concrete subjected to a factored axial load of1000 kN and a factored uniaxial moment of 120 kNM (with respect to the major axis) at the column base. Assume that the moment is reversible. The safe bearing capacity may be taken as 200kN/mm2 at a depth of 1.25m. Assume M20 concrete and Fe 415 steel for the footing. Draw to scale
(a) Plan of the footing
(b) Sectional elevation showing reinforcement details.
3. (a) Why water is essential for concrete making?
(b) Discuss the requirements for mixing water for concrete. Why sea water is not
4. (a) Define the term ‘partial safety factors' as used in limit state design. Identify
the various factors and state the values recommended in IS 456.
(b) Compare ‘working stress method' and ‘limit state' design of R.C.C. structures.
Explain the answer with suitable examples.
5. Design the reinforcement of a beam 450 mm wide 650mm deep subjected to a
bending moment of 120 kN-m' twisting moment of 15 kN-m and a shear force of
120 kN- at ultimate. Use M20 grade concrete and Fe 145 steel.
6. (a) What is the minimum percentage of steel allowed in a R C column? Explain
why it is necessary to specify the minimum percentage
(b) A R.C. column rectangular in section 230mm wide and 300mm deep is reinforced with 4 bars of 20mm one at each corner with an effective cover of
50mm. It is subjected to an ultimate axial load of 340 KN, ultimate bending
Moment of Mux=30KN-M about X axis is bisecting the depth and ultimate
moment of Muy=18KN-M about Y axis bisecting the width. Use M20 grade
concrete and Fe 415 grade steel. Check the safety of the column.
7. Explain the I.S code provisions for limit state design for serviceability for deflection
of slabs. By assuming suitable data illustrate the same with a numerical example.
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.