Aviation is one of the world's largest industries in terms of capital investment and contribution to state exchequer. It is poised for a vibrant growth. Aviation or flying by an aircraft attracts young boys and girls who want to mix up adventure with career. A job in aviation is a dream for many but in some field it is expensive especially for a pilot job.
Glamorous and exciting job in aviation. It involves preparation of flight plan, analyzing meteorological reports, checking the air worthiness of the air craft, checking the fuel cargo load, monitoring the automatic flying system maneuvering navigation and communication system are the duties of the PILOT. Commercial pilot license can be acquired only after training.
In government owned or private Airlines as commercial pilot, Test pilot flying instructor, flight engineers etc
Pass in 10+2 with 50% marks in Physics Chemistry and Mathematics
There are two types of pilot training
Free of cost
Selection passed NDA / Naval Academy Examination conducted by UPSC
Age between 16 ½ and 19
Fees 16 ½ lakhs
Join IGRUA (Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Academy) or any other pilot training center
Age 17 years completed
Pilot training involves two major steps
The first step is getting a Student Pilot license (SPL). The next step is to start flight training to get Private Pilot License (PPL). This includes 60 hours of flying comprising 20 hours of dual flying, 20 hours of solo flying and 5 hours cross country flying. One must clear theoretical examination in subjects like air regulation, aviation meteorology, aircrafts and engines and navigation
After PPL another 190 hrs flying training is required for commercial pilot (CPL). i.e. a total 250 hrs of flying training. A flight radio operator's license & radio telephone license have to be obtained .In addition to theoretical papers medical test have to be cleared. Usually it will take 2 to 3 years to get a license
Entry to PPL course is through an entrance test conducted at certain centers.
Test subjects: – English, GK, Math, Physics & Chemistry. Applications are invited in April & send to:
The Director General of Civil Aviation (training section)
Opp Safdarjang Airport
New Delhi 110003
1. Kerala Aviation Academy –Trivandrum
2. Indira Gandhi Rastriya Uran Academy, Rae Bareli, U.P.
3. Delhi flying club – Delhi.
4. Gujarat flying club – Baroda
5. Madras flying club - Madras
6. Coimbathore Flying club – Coimbathore,T.N.
7. Andra Pradesh Flying club – Hyderabad.
8. Assam flying club – Guwahati.
9. Patyala Aviation club – Punjab
10. Flying club, Civil Aerodrome – Indore.
11. Fly Tech Aviation Academy – Sececuderabad
12. Ludhiyana Aviation Academy – Ludhiyana.
13. Govt. Flying school – Bangalore
14. Bombay Flying club – Mumbai.
15. Nagpur Flying club – Maharashtra
16. Sahara India Aviation Academy – New Delhi.
1. Full scholarship by Indian Airlines.
2. Full scholarships by Air India
3. Full scholarships by I.G.R.U.A (To SC/ST students)
4. Scholarship to girl student by Rajiv Gandhi foundation Amounting 75% of training fee
Note: - Employment opportunities are few & hence a CPL holder may not get immediate placement. License updating is also expensive.
Airhostess is a glamorous & interesting job for women. The airhostess is the first person to welcome a passenger aboard an aircraft. Her welcoming smile acknowledges every passenger. She has to make the arrangements for the comfort of the passenger. The airhostess has to be on duty throughout the duration of the flight. She has to provide first aid when a situation arises and has to work continuously and she is like an angel in the plane.
Attractive appearance, a well modulated pleasant voice, a proportionate figure with a graceful carriage, helpful friendly nature & capacity to work for long hours on ones feet are the qualities required for the airhostess.
Qualification: - +2 in any discipline (preference will be given to tourism or hotel management diploma holders or home science graduates)
Fluency in English & Hindi is required (preference for those who can handle foreign languages)
Age:- 18 to 25 yrs. (varies for different airlines).
Height: - min 152 cm
Weight: - Proportionate to height
Marital Status: - Unmarried
Hemoglobin level:- Should be normal at least 12
Vision: - Preferable normal eyesight without glasses
Mode of Selection
It includes objective type test, interview, group discussion, medical check up etc
1. Birla institute of Futuristic Studies, M B High School Road, Darga Road, Kolkotta.
2. Air India, Air India Building, 218, Nariman Point, Mumbai-400021.
3. Sahara India Airlines, Ambadeep, 14 K G Marg, New Delhi-110001.
4. Oyster Institute of Management, Plot No: 92, TPS-315th Road Bandra, Mumbai.
5. Jet Airways, 41-42 Markers chambers 3, Nariman Point, Mumbai.
6. Airhostess Academy (AHA) C-33 2nd Floor, Amar Colony Market,
Lajput Nagar-IV, New Delhi-110024 Ph: 011-26222624
7. School of Airlines and Travel Management (SATM), Warriam Road, Kochi-682016.
Ph-0484-2365765 (Duration 6 months)
8. Aptima Airhostess Academy, J1/164, Rajouri Garden, New Delhi -110027,
Ph-011- 25176407 (Duration 6 months)
9. Franfinn Management Consultants (FMC) 721, Suneja Tower II, Dist Centre, Janatpuri, New Delhi-110058 (Ph-011-25532757)
10. Flyers Inc, 33, Jangpura Road, New Delhi-110014 Ph-011-24313411
11. Pacific Airways, Pocket GH-6/35, Paschim Vihar, New Delhi 110087
12. Free Bird Aviational and Management Service, Trivandrum
13. Dean Travel and Tours (Pvt) Limited, Bangalore.
14. Skyline Educational Institute, Laxman Public School Campus, HAUS KHAS, New Delhi-110016 (Offers BA (Hons) International Business and Tourism (3years) Diploma course (2years) Certificate course (1 year) in collaboration with University Of Humberside And Lincolonshire, U.K)
Note: - Airhostess training is only a training program not a job guaranteed course. Moreover many airlines will not appoint for a long term.
Cabin Crew/Flight Attendants
They are called so as they assist the passengers during the journey. They ensure the safety and comfort of the passenger .A pleasant demeanor, confidence, patience, resourcefulness, congeniality and fact are the requisite traits in the flight attendants.
Graduation in any discipline
Fluency in English, Hindi and Foreign languages
(Degree holders in Hotel Management and Dip/Degree in Catering and First Aid Administration are preferred. Some companies need only 10+2 qualification)
Age: – 19 to 22 (International age group is 18-35 varies in different airlines)
Height: - 5'4
Marital Status: - Unmarried
Written test, Interview, Group Discussion (procedures are slightly different for various airlines)
Main Institutes of Training
1. Indian Airlines Central Training Establishment, Hyderabad.
2. Airhostess Academy, New Delhi.
3. Shilon Institute of Hospitality Management, New Delhi.
4. Flyers Institute, New Delhi.
5. Free bird Aviation and Management Service, Trivandrum.
6. Ampita Airhostess Academy, New Delhi.
7. Frankfinn Management Consultants, New Delhi.
8. Flyers inc, 33, Jangpura Road, New Delhi-110014.
9. Fighters Aviation Academy, Secadrebad, Hyderabad.
Air Traffic Control System
It is a vast network of people and equipment that ensures the safe operation of commercial and private aircraft. The ATC's work demands work speed, immediate apprehension, efficiency and total concentration. ATC's are trained in basic meteorology, navigation, and telecommunication, principle of radar and associated techniques and operation of traffic control system.
The selection procedure are conducted by the Airport Authority of India, Rajiv Gandhi Bhavan, Safdarjung Airport, New Delhi-110003.
Different categories of ATC
1. ATC Manager- Eligibility-Engineering degree in electronics, telecommunication, radio engineering of a recognized university with 60%of marks.
Mode of selection-written test, interview.
Age limit not more than 28years (5years relaxation for SC/ST and 3years for OBC).
2. ATC Superintendent – Eligibility – (a) Degree in science with physics or maths with 60% (b) first class diploma in electronics engineering from a recognized Polytechnic.
Manager (Personal, Legal, Commercial, Cargo, Economic Planning, House Keeping etc) Eligibility- Basic degree in relevant discipline.
Communication Officer –Nature of work- routine maintenance, repair and adjustment of communication equipment Eligibility- Degree with physics or Diploma in radio electronics, telecommunication, electrical or communication.
Flight engineer – Nature of work- Check all the system of aircraft before, during and after the flight to ensure the safety and the efficiency of the aircraft Eligibility-(a)Engineering graduates in electronics, electrical, mechanical, aeronautical or computers (b) SSC holder with science subject who completes the flight engineers ground course or has an aircraft maintenance engineers license.
Assistant flight purser- Nature of work- Works along with airhostess and is concerned with providing meals and other service to passengers Mode of selection-written test, interview –eligibility- 10+2 pass (preference are given to those who have 3 years experience in catering or in tourism or who can converse in more than one language) Age limit- not exceed 26 years.
Navigator- Nature of work- Giving direction and location of aircraft while flying in the air – Mode of selection written test and oral exam Age limit –not less than 20yrs.
Aerodrome Officer- Nature of work- One who take care of radar communication equipments linking the aerodrome and ATC displays ground markings- Eligibility- B.Sc Physics or Maths Age limit 18-25.
Meteorologist- Nature of work- Compile and interpret data of temperature sunlight, rainfall, humidity and wind – Eligibility - M.Sc or B.Sc in meteorology, physics, maths, computer application, electronics, telecommunication.
Ticketing and Reservation staff- Nature of work- interact with passengers arrange flight requirements and tickets for traveling - Eligibility:- Degree in any discipline or diploma in travel and tourism (computer literacy preferred) generally woman are preferred.