Forests are the major natural resources as well as wealth source of a country. Forests provide us useful food materials, valuable medicines, spices, wood, timber, gums, resins and many more. Forests help in bringing rains to help the farmers to grow their crops. Forests provide a hiding place for so many exotic wild animals. Flora and fauna present in forests help in maintaining biodiversity as well as ecological balance of nature. Really at present forest natural resources is a deciding factor in maintaining the economy as well as ecological balance of the environment. Increasing forest cover become a prime duty of any Government in order to reap maximum benefits out of forests. To maintain forests and wildlife in a country large number trained and skilled professionals are needed to look over the duties of forests and wild life. A forestry experts can do his services in laboratories, out doors in the forests or even in indoor offices according to the area of their specialization. There are endless opportunities for the job seekers who got the required qualification for these posts.
Qualifications needed for the jobs in Forestry and Wildlife Departments
The minimum qualification required to get seat in Forestry and Wildlife courses is (10 + 2) examination with the subjects Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Agricultural science as the subjects. The major courses in Forestry and Wildlife are as follows:
1. B.Sc Forestry
2. M.Sc Forestry
3. B.Sc Wildlife
4. M.Sc Wildlife
5. M.Sc Wood science and Technology
Best educational institutes to train courses in Forestry and Wild Life
1. Indian Institute of Forest Management, Nehrunagar, Bhopal.
2. Forestry Research Institute, Dehradun- 248006.
3. Bisra Agricultural University, Kanke, Ranchi-6.
4. Wildlife Institute of India, Chandrabani, Dehradun.
5. Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubeneswar-751003.
6. Indian Institute Forest Management, Madhyapradesh.
7. M.B.A (Forestry and environment Management), Samhigginbottom Agriculture Technology and Science, Allahabad, Uttarpradesh.
8. Dr. Y.R. Parmar University of Horticulture and Forestry, Solan, Himachalpradesh.
9. Kerala Agricultural University, Tirussur.
10. Master of Science in Forestry, Mizaoram University, Aizwal, Mizoram.
Opportunities and scopes in Forestry and Wildlife Management
Youngsters who have the nature adventurism can seek these jobs in the field of forestry as their career. The following jobs are usually available in Forestry and Wildlife Departments. Those who have studied the courses in Forestry and Wildlife can be employed in the following posts:
1. Forest Range Officer
2. Zoo curators
There are plenty of job opportunities are available in Government sector. There is lot of scope for trained personnel in Forestry and Wildlife courses can be recruited in 'The Indian Council of Forestry and Research and Education. Trained and skilled personnel can be recruited as scientists in various research institutes of this sector. They also have the chance of getting into educational field of this sector.
There are lot of scopes for qualified and talented persons to get jobs even abroad. Forestry experts are getting jobs abroad as wild life consultants in famous wildlife organizations like World Wide Fund(WWF). Several countries like South Africa, Vietnam and Kampuchea offering jobs to Indian personnel in the Forestry and Wildlife Departments of their country.