How to control hair fall?
Are you suffering from the problem of hair fall? Do you need the solution to control the hair fall? This article describes the common causes of the hair fall and what are the measures and preventions that a person should follow to control the hair fall problem. Hair fall is one of the common problems, and the cause of the problem differs from person to person. This article emphasizes on the home remedies to control the hair fall.
Every day, a normal person loses 40-100 hairs from the scalp while combing, washing or brushing the hair. But if the rate of hair loss is more than 150, then it is excessive hair fall. Then it requires attention to cure the problem. Hair fall may be caused due to several reasons. It may be due to poor diet, stress, genetic problem, hormonal changes or any other reason. Therefore, it is extremely necessary to identify the reason and then start curing the hair fall problem.
Common causes of hair fall
- Illness : A person who is having high fever, iron or protein deficiency suffers from the problem of excessive hair fall. Also, if the person undergoes a surgery, then the stress caused due to the illness also results in hair fall. Sometimes, the strong medications are also responsible for the hair loss. But, this loss is temporary and the hair comes back after the recovery.
- Hormonal changes : Hormonal problems also results in the hair loss. If the thyroid gland does not function properly i.e. it is either overactive or underactive, then hair may start to fall out. When two hormones androgen and estrogen, found in males and females respectively, are out of balance, then it results in hair fall.
- Post Pregnancy : During pregnancy, the body of the females secret high level of hormones which prevents the hair fall. But, after three months of delivery of the baby, the hormones return to pre-pregnancy level. This allows the normal cycle of growth and fall of hair. And the females may experience heavy hair fall.
- Poor diet : To have a strong hair, a person should eat a healthy diet which is rich in iron and protein. The poor diet weakens the hair follicles. Lack of iron, vitamins and minerals results in hair fall.
- Infection : Fungal infection is also one of the common reason for hair fall. It is often found that infant and children suffer from fungal infections on the scalp resulting in the hair fall.
- Strong medication : Medicines used to cure heart problems, gout, high blood pressure, diabetes, birth control pills, blood thinners can cause hair fall. When the person stops taking the medicines, the problem of hair fall stops.
- Hair treatment : Most of the females use hair tight rollers to give style to the hairs. During this process, hair is pulled off. If the process of pulling the hair is stopped before the development of scarring on the scalp, hair grows back normally. But, sometimes scarring results in permanent hair loss. Apart from this, the strong chemical used for hair treatment may also affect the hair resulting in hair fall.
- Other factors : Aging, stress, lack of sleep are the other reason which result in hair loss. When the hair is wet, the root becomes weak. Combing the wet hair is also one of the main reasons for hair fall. Pollution is the other factor which results in hair fall.
What are common mistakes that cause hair fall?
- Lack of sleep and excessive stress results in hair fall.
- Use of harsh chemical such as hair gel, spray, styling creams damage the scalp. They may dry out the scalp and may form flakes.
- Use of colors, dye may also affect the hair.
- Constantly changing the shampoos and conditioner is also one of the common reason for the hair fall.
- Excessive exposure of dust, pollution and rain water dries the hair and damages the scalp.
How to prevent hair fall?
- Healthy diet : The first and foremost thing a person should approach to control the hair fall is to have a healthy diet plan. White sesame seeds, yoghurt, buttermilk, whole grains, sprouts, milk and green leafy vegetables, carrots, oat, prunes, egg, walnut, green peas and fruits are some of the healthy nutrients that should be a part of the diet. A good diet will provide a healthy scalp and shiny and strong hair. Iron rich sources such as green leafy vegetables and prunes will help in improving the quality of the hair.
- Hair treatment with mild chemicals : It is advised to use mild shampoos and conditioners to prevent hair fall. Hair should be cleaned regularly to avoid dandruff, itching and hair lice. The hair products used for styling such as gel, spray cream should be avoided. The use of hair tight rollers, clips should me minimum to prevent hair fall.
- Stress control : Stress is one of the main reasons for hair loss. Therefore, it is necessary to reduce the stress to prevent hair fall. It is important to have a sound sleep to avoid stress. A person should be involved in some physical activities such as walking, jogging, yoga or meditation to reduce the stress.
- Drink plenty of water : Water is very essential not only to hydrate the body but also to have a healthy scalp and healthy hair. Therefore, a person must drink sufficient water to hydrate the hair from inside the body. Coconut water is one of the good sources to have healthy hair. Apart from this, buttermilk is also helpful in preventing the hair fall.
- Massage hair with hot oil : Massaging the scalp with lukewarm oil stimulate the hair follicle and hair growth. It is one of the best ways to condition the hair. You can use coconut oil, almond oil or olive oil for this purpose. These oils are not only good for the texture of the hair, but also one of the best medium to provide relaxation essence.
Home remedies to stop hair fall
- Massage the scalp with lukewarm coconut oil or almond oil. This will nourish the scalp and strengthen the roots of the hair. Thus, it will help in controlling hair fall.
- Wash the hair with the paste of neem leaves. This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of infections.
- Apply the juice of crushed coriander leaves, mixed with yogurt and gram flour and keep it for at least one hour. Then wash the hair with lukewarm water.
- Massage the head with aloevera gel twice a week. Then wash the hair with lukewarm water.
- Mix the warm coconut, castor and almond oil. Massage the hair for at least 20 minutes with this mixture. Keep it overnight. Next morning, wash the hair with mild shampoo.
- Soak the fenugreek seeds overnight. Next morning, drink the water. It is one of the remedy to stop hair fall.
- Mix the curry leaves and fenugreek in a glass of buttermilk and consume it.
- Soak the essential oils like lavender and sandalwood oil in the bathtub for at least 20 minutes and then wash the hair.
- Consume green leafy vegetables, fruit, especially apple to have a healthy hair.
- Drink plenty of fluid, especially water and coconut water.
- Daily consume almonds and other nuts to provide enough nutrients to the hair.
- Apply the mixture of amla, shikakai and neem leaves on the scalp. Leave it for 20 minutes and then wash with lukewarm water.
Points to remember to control the hair fall
- Never comb the wet hairs.
- Avoid using harsh chemical based hair products.
- Avoid using hair styling equipments such as rollers, clips
- Do not tie the hair tightly.
- Protect the hair from dust, pollution and sunlight.
- Do not change the shampoo frequently. Try each shampoo or conditioner for at least six months.
Hair fall is a common problem. But this problem is not too big and has a solution. Following the precaution and applying the preventive measures helps in controlling the hair fall. If the home remedies and the precaution does not solve the problem, it is advised to consult to the doctor to know the actual problem.