Ingredients for khandvi:
1. Besan (Gram flour)- ½ cup
2. Sour curd- ½ cup
3. Water- 1 ½ cup
4. Ginger paste- ½ teaspoon
5. Green chilly paste- ½ teaspoon
6. Red chilly powder- ½ teaspoon
7. Red chillies- 3-4
8. Asafoetida- A pinch
9. Turmeric powder- ¼ teaspoon
10 .Mustard seeds- ½ teaspoon
11. Curry leaves- Few
12. Salt- As per taste
13. Grated coconut- 2 tablespoons (For garnishing)
14. Finely chopped green coriander leaves (For garnishing)
1. Take one bowl and add besan (Gram flour), ginger paste, green chilly paste, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, pinch of hing and salt in that as per given quantity.
2. Add some water (as per need) in all the ingredients taken in bowl and mix them neatly to make smooth paste from them. Make sure this mixture should get the consistency of paste. Stir continuously to avoid lumps in mixture. If required add some more water and repeat the same procedure of stirring.
3. To avoid scorching bring to boil this mixture while stirring continuously.
4. Cook and stir well to obtain the consistency of smooth and fine paste.
5. Now spread a one teaspoon of this batter on smooth and ungreased surface. Allow batter to get cool, it should come off cleanly.
6. Now spread remaining batter on an ungreased surface as thin as possible and also allow that to become cold.
7. Heat the oil in one pan. Once oil gets heated add mustard seeds, 3-4 whole red chillies and few curry leaves. Stir them well in oil and spread this oil over the layer of beasn mixture.
8. After 20-30 seconds remove the red chilies from thin layer.
9. Now cut this layer into a strips and roll each of them like a scroll. Do this procedure very carefully and softly.
10. Arrange all the rolls in one serving dish and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut.
Do not try this recipe in large quantity if you are making this first time. This dish needs some practice as well as handling experience.
More articles: Recipe