1. Rice - 1 cup
2. Coriander seeds - 2 teaspoon
3. Black pepper corns – 1 teaspoon
4. Coconut – according to the requirement
5. Cloves - 2
6. Bay leaf - 2
7. Cinnamon - 1
8. Onion - 1
9. Oil - according to the requirement
10. Salt - for taste
11. Water – 2 cups
Procedure to prepare
1. Cut the coconut into very small pieces to grind them.
2. Heat the pan in low flame without oil. Then add coriander seeds, black pepper corns and fry it.
3. First grind the coconut (not very smooth) then add the fried coriander seeds and black pepper corns with this half grinded coconut, so to grind this three mixture into very smooth paste.
4. Keep this paste in separate bowl.
5. Now fry the cloves and cinnamon in low flame without oil then grind it and keep this powder separately.
6. Chop the onions.
7. Heat the pan with oil. Once the oil is heated add bay leaf and onions. Let it fry till the onions became lightly color change.
8. Once the onion is fried add the grinded cloves and cinnamon powder to it and then add the masala paste in it.
9. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes until the raw smell is out.
10. Then add 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice to it. (If 2 cups of rice then we should add 4 cups of water, its 1:2 formula).
11. Also add the salt to taste.
12. Once the water starts boiling then add the rice and close the pan with plate.
13. Leave it for 7-10 minutes to cook in medium flame.
14. After 10 minutes switch off the stove; don't open the plate for other 5 minutes.
16. Before serving you may add ghee for more taste(it's just optional).
15. Now it’s ready to serve.
The amount of coriander seeds and Black pepper corns depends upon the quantity of rice is taken. Spiciness depends on individual taste. If you need more spiciness then add more black pepper seed. Thus pepper corns is also known as ‘king of spices’. Black pepper corns contains vitamin Bcomplex, C, A and also amount of potassium, calcium, iron, zinc. It is also relieves the health problems like throat problem, diarrhea etc. A coriander seed good for digestion and stomach problem,relieves gas problem, lowers the sugar level and also bad cholesterol. This seeds are contains source of minerals like black pepper corns. Even we can use Basmati rice to prepare this masala rice for more taste and flavor.
Good and simple recipe. We also make it sometimes.
If we add a few cloves of garlic while sauteying it gives a very good flavour specially with the above ingradients.
One can give a try to that.