What to do if dividend is not received by a shareholder of the company?

Every wondered what happens to unclaimed dividends? Want to know what you as a shareholder should do to get a dividend not sent by the company? Know some facts about unclaimed dividends from this article and the procedure to follow on non-receipt of dividends.

Unclaimed dividends remain with the respective companies as unclaimed for seven financial years, after which the unclaimed dividends are transferred to Investor Education and Protection Fund with the central government and no shareholder can claim the unclaimed dividend beyond a period seven financial years.

First of all the shareholder should check his/her Demat-linked bank account as dividends land automatically in bank accounts linked with Demat and trading accounts offered by the banks as a 3-in-1 facility. In case of non-receipt, the shareholder can take up with the registrars and share transfer agents of the company by providing DP ID and client ID from Demat Account. However, if the share is held in physical form then the shareholder needs to send a bank mandate form to the company registrar and transfer agents.

How to obtain duplicate dividend warrant in case of non-receipt?

First of all, the shareholder has to wait till the expiry date of dividend warrants after seeking the information from company registrars. The company registrars will issue, on request on the prescribed form, duplicate dividend warrants after verifying from the company's bank accounts specially maintained to pay the dividend warrants only. After the expiry dated of dividend warrants residual amount in such bank accounts is kept by the company under the head "Unclaimed Dividend". Duplicate dividend warrants or bank drafts are paid/issued from this account only in favour of the shareholder.

What happens to such residual unclaimed dividend lying with company's bankers?

The companies retain such unpaid dividends for a period not exceeding seven financial years and thereafter the unclaimed dividends are transferred to "Investor Education and Protection Fund" with the Central Government. Unclaimed dividend prior to seven financial years cannot be withdrawn by the shareholder. However, the shareholders, who had been bonafide owners of shares, can claim the dividend from the registrar and transfer agents of the company for immediately preceding seven years by following the same procedure as above.

Precautions to be taken by the shareholders

In case the shares are held in physical form then the shareholders will have to contact the registrar and transfer agents of each company, whose shares are held in physical form, and obtain bank mandate form so that the dividend from the companies directly land into the bank account of the shareholders. In case the share is held in electronic form in Demat account then the shareholder needs to submit bank account details to the Depository Participant with whom the shareholder is having the Demat account. While providing bank account details to registrars of the company or depositor participants the shareholder should provide the correct bank account details along with IFSC code of the bank branch and MICR code of the Bank. The shareholders should also see that Bank Account is exactly in the same name as mentioned either on the share certificates in physical form or in the Demat Account client ID. It is always better to have a 3-in-1 account linked to Bank account, Trading account and Demat account and the individuals should avoid multiplicity of account. What are you thinking now? Just convert all your physical shares, bonds and securities into one and only one Demat account so that you can track all your dividends, interest on bonds and securities and do the costing exercise yourself. The 3-in-1 account also allows you to trade in commodities, gold and gold ETF, mutual funds and even foreign currencies subject to certain foreign exchange regulations.

Related Articles

What to do before, during and after the cyclone?

Tropical cyclones cause extensive damage in almost every year in the coastal areas of the world. In this article, the author discusses how to remain safe during the cyclone. Read the article to know various 'dos' before, during and after the cyclone.

What to do for the safety of your luggage while traveling

Do you worry about the safety of your luggage while traveling? This article provides information about the protection of the luggage while traveling. You will find some important tips for the protection of your luggage. You will also find the step to take if your luggage is lost.

What to do when exams are near?

Are you worried about what to do when your examinations come near? Read this article to know about what all can be done before exams like making notes, Meditating, practicing on question papers, eating healthy food, revising and last month revision of your notes.

More articles: What to do


Author: J.B.Gupta24 Jan 2014 Member Level: Bronze   Points : 0

Good and informative article. It was helpful as I could get back by undelivered dividend warrants reissued by the company.

Guest Author: Emil C kiebitz13 Feb 2014

I did not receive the recent dividend check at the end of January 2014. Please provide me with my dividend check.

Author: Ashok Goyal14 Feb 2014 Member Level: Gold   Points : 5

@J.B.Gupta : It is heartening to note that you could get back the undelivered dividend warrants back from the company. But if you get your shares or debentures dematerialized and open the interconnected 3-in-one account with HDFC Bank who provide linkage of your Saving Account, Online Trading Account and Demat account - the dividend will be directly landing in your demat account without any fear of loss of physical dividend warrants in transit. Alternatively you can send the mandate to the Registrar and Transfer Agents of the companies, whose shares or debentures are held by you in physical form.

@Emil C kietbitz, Guest author, I could not understand your problem so that I could provide further guidance.

Guest Author: SKPATHAK13 Jul 2017

I have shares and the company had announced 35% Dividend can I get this 35% dividend? The company's name is Supreme Petrochem.

Guest Author: Joari Joab Aririnu14 Oct 2017

I am a shareholder of a private company BOC-Bouaginville Copper limited. I didn't get in touch with the company about my dividends for more than seven years now due to closing down of the Bougainville Copper limited in 1989. But I have come to know that the company still exists. I am still having my Shareholder certificate. How can I reclaim or get my unpaid dividend payments from the company?

  • Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
  • No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
  • This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
  • Name: