Career after Masters in the field of Biotechnology
Are you pursing Masters in Biotechnology and willing to look at the career options after that? If yes, then this article will help you out to know about the field of Biotechnology and its career options in detail.
BiotechnologyAs its name indicates that it is a combination of Biology and Technology; it is a field where living systems are exploited to be used in the better way for improvement in the field of industries, agriculture, medical, etc.
The subject has many applications in different sectors and is responsible for improving our lives in many ways. The improved medicines, surgical techniques, better agriculture options, improved industrial productions, etc are resulting from the researches going on in the field of Biotechnology.
Biotechnology is not limited to books and candidates need to perform many experiments in laboratories to understand the practical approaches of what they are studying in theory.
Learn more about M.Sc. Biotechnology course.
Related SubjectsThe main field is termed as 'Biotechnology' and it has other related fields which are bio-manufacturing, bio-engineering, molecular engineering, Bioinformatics, biomedical engineering, etc. Many people consider all as same but these are different and related fields classified on the basis of their specific area of Science and applications.
Candidates are free to choose any of the fields as per their interest but candidates opting for Biotechnology will have to study about all these fields in their course.
- BioinformaticsThis field basically deals with the dry lab things related to Biotechnology. With the word 'Dry Lab' it refers the computer labs and here candidates learn about all the software tools which are in use for experiments like Computer languages, tools to visualize the shape and structure of Molecules, etc.
- Applied Biotechnology and MicrobiologyIt is a combination of both Biotechnology and Microbiology. Candidates learn about application of microbiology in various areas of Biotechnology. They study about different micro-organisms and their characteristics to analyze them for different applications.
- Industrial BiotechnologyThis subject is completely focused on various industrial processes. Candidates get chance to study these processes in detail and learn about how to improve them for better productions. It has applications in industries like dairy, pharmaceuticals, Foods products, etc.
- Biomedical EngineeringAs its name indicates, it is dedicated to medical field and candidates learn about utilization of biotechnology for betterment of various medical techniques in dry as well as wet labs. This course also includes the study about transplantation of organs, blood transfusions, etc.
- Molecular BiotechnologyThis subject is typically limited to the study of living beings at molecular level and that is 'DNA'. All the techniques related to DNA and genes are included in this subject. Candidates learn about gene improvements, gene tagging, etc.
- Genetic EngineeringThis subject is related to Molecular Biotechnology and specifically deals with Genetic engineering of living beings. This is purely for medical reasons and for treatment of genetically inherited diseases.
Career opportunitiesAs you have realized from the vast areas in Biotechnology, it has good career options afterwards. It has applications in almost every sector and hence good job opportunities. Below are the main job options a candidate can have after completion of his/ her Masters in Biotechnology -
- In Medical FieldThe medical field has so many jobs for Bio-technologists and candidates can work as a lab technician, Lab scientist, can work for projects in the field of medical science. This requires an immense interest and a research-based attitude to get success in this line.
- In AgricultureHere candidates can get the job in Agriculture research-based labs like IARI (Indian Agriculture Research Institute). They need to work for the betterment of Agricultural breeds and techniques. There are various government-funded projects in line in the field of agriculture where a candidate can join as a Project assistant.
- In Pharmaceutical fieldCandidates can get jobs in Pharmaceutical industries in Quality control, Quality Assurance department. They can also work for technical support providing teams.
- As a MicrobiologistThese are basically Scientists who works in laboratory using microorganisms for various purposes.
- In Food and TechnologyCandidates can get jobs in different Food industries for quality control purposes. They can also work with quality improvement team which is responsible for better yield.
- TeachingThis is the option for those having keen interest in teaching. Candidates having Masters in Biotechnology degree can join as a teaching assistant along with their research projects.
- As ScientistsIt is difficult for Masters degree holders to get a permanent job as a scientists but they can join as a project assistant and can get further extension by their dedication and hard work.
Apart from these, there are many other big-small options for jobs, such as in small diagnostics companies, traders for biotechnological instruments and kits, etc. Interested candidates can also start their own coaching center for preparation for CSIR and UGC examinations.
ConclusionBiotechnology is a vast field including different aspects of life as well as technology and can be a good option for those who believe in hard work.