Introduction We have different types of cuisines in different regions of our country. Cuisines are versatile and varied across the world. Food Industry is evolving and booming tremendously day in and out with new innovative recipes appearing on the plates. This has lead to the creation of ample jobs opportunities for innumerable people in the country and across the globe. The cuisines differ for different festivals, marriages, celebrations, birthday parties, home warming ceremonies, weddings, get-together and other occasions. In the present day, the fasting scenario the healthy food is replaced by instant foods and a plethora of dishes created to satisfy people's tastes. People are dining for experimenting on different cuisines and are desirous of eating foods from different countries. To cater to the demands of the diners there has been a tremendous change in the cuisines to please the platters of the people. This has lead to sea changes in dinging aspects of people.
- The master chefs are experts in creating novel and fusion of cuisines to the palate of the customers. Creative innovations in the cuisines are making a mark in food items catering to several aspects such as diet, nutrition, lifestyle, and healthy foods. The innovative dishes are a hit with the younger generations, trying it out at every possible opportunity to dine and have an experience. Most of the cuisines are into the concept of wellness and diet concepts to promote healthy food for a healthy life. The drastic changes in the lifestyle have made a dynamic change in the food cuisines. Years ago people thought was to eat food for a living. But there is a change now wherein people want to experience the food with touch and experience the delicacies. With the food shows popularity, the chef's are also focused on cooking with fresh organic food produce sourced locally.
- The recipes and menus are prepared according to the availability of seasonal produce. This also ignites the chefs to create new flavours with locally available food products. With the large-scale awareness created by the people in the food sectors, the use of millet is steadily growing. People want to experience the joy of dining and have a thrill of eating away from home. To please the diners a variety of other elegance's are created in the restaurants for the occasions. The effects for dining could be lighting, music, decor, seating arrangements, creatively designed curtains, water fountains, that can be subjective to authentic, modern, traditional, continental, customized, book-based settings etc. The ambience can be set to the dinners proposals too. The experience can be nostalgia for people dining and to cherish for a long time.
- The popularity of the restaurant depends on the different cuisines prepared by the chefs to meet the demands of the people. The cuisines are also prepared with a combination of chemistry and physics called the gastronomy, to enrich the joy of eating experience. The gastronomy concept of preparing food is done to increase the flavour and taste of the food. The blending of the ingredients provides added value to the cuisine. Experiments are conducted in trying out for something new that you can create, it's endless to explore and innovate new dishes, delicacies and designs.
- One can specialize in different kinds of salads, soups, beverages, softies, bakery and wine products, authentic dishes, traditional cuisine/curries and prepare them in a new form or give it a twist. With a flair for cooking and zeal for treating guests/customers, one can chance upon a new recipe. An enthusiastic chef can come up with signature dishes with a unique flavour. One should be eager to learn and be interested to learn food items, their ingredients, taste and its health benefits. To become a master chef you need to complete a program or a course in food preparation. A chef becomes a master chef with expertise, experience and culinary skills. To become an aspiring master chef one should have instincts and passion for cooking.
- Every individual has a talent for cooking. It is how we perceive, focus and nurture that talent matters. For this talent to be exposed and make a career, the following characteristics are very important to become a successful Master chef. Cooking is an interesting activity. Cooking involves food preparation by heating for eating, which is a complex process of specific ingredients to prepare a particular dish when all the ingredients blend and bind to form a product with colourful sight, smell and sizzling sounds. Cooking food kills germs and helps in easy digestion. Most people enjoy cooking and prepare dishes for others feeding. Chefs prepare delicious, attractive and nutritious meals. Wah, it can be mouthwatering to savour and relish it.
- To be a master chef he should be the best cook, be an expert in the culinary art. He should be able to present it with a decor of imagination. Be cheerful, welcome guests/customers with courtesy to all kinds of people. He should be able to customize the price for the individual, small groups, large groups, for large, social gatherings, event/occasions. He should be able to provide the expenses/price list for the dishes/menu ordered. The quality of a seasoned chef includes in making simple with clean flavours. A chef becomes a master chef with expertise, experience and culinary skill. To become an aspiring master chef one should have instincts and passion for cooking. He should be an effective professional in his work. Read the article Professional-characteristicsto learn the tips to become an efficient professional.
- Planning should be done with great care which consists of several factors. He should cater to health benefits and appealing to the masses. He should chalk out a list of food sources, price list, equipment required, utensils that are needed for cooking, number of chefs/cooks required. He should be a systematic and organized planner. He should be able to plan the dishes according to the tastes of the individual/ the group or the region. The meals should have colours of contrasting, textures, shapes and the temperatures. He should be skilled in the art of cutting vegetables, fruits and greens. He should know to serve dishes of different flavours.
- He should be accurate in measuring the ingredients.The planning should be meticulous and should be helpful in saving money, at the same time providing food quality food to the customers. He should be able to chalk out the menu list selecting the food sources. He should have strong self-confidence and self-control to take criticism and to depend on the quality of the services provides/cuisine served.
Strong knowledge on foods
- He should possess zeal and enthusiasm for cooking and have broad knowledge about culinary skills. He should know the different types of cuisine and what ingredients go into it and what's its flavour. He should produce delicious foods from organic/ natural sources of food. He should have a wide knowledge of all kinds of food sources, procuring them, storing, and their preservation, their importance, health benefits and for what dishes they are used.
- He should stand out in the crowd with his winning feathers in his cap. He should possess skills in different types of cooking. He should have experience in various types of cooking such as traditional, authentic, continental, Chinese etc. He should have a menu cards with dishes mentioned and their prices to make the customers aware of the budget they can spend upon. He should have good knowledge with cocktail and mocktail recipes.
- He should have good imaginative skills and be very creative in making dishes or new recipes. He should be a foodie, have a passion for foods. He should know the tastes of different dishes. Be able to identify the ingredients in the dishes and their flavors. He should possess good skills in observation and also dexterity skills. He should taste before serving to check for its deliciousness. He should be an expert in creating innovative dishes from natural ingredients to provide lasting flavours that linger on everyone's' taste buds.
- He should possess good manipulative skills and quick in decision making abilities to make arrangements for time delivery, altered menu, preparing different kinds of dishes if changes are made in last minute. He should be familiar with the latest food trends across the globe and be adept in knowledge about them. The chef should have an interest in learning new dishes and eager to experiment on it. He should have a creative mind of mind to give a twist to the dish. Be equipped with innovative ideas of presenting the dishes in unique and eye-catching visual treat. He should be a food traveler and be eager to learn the foods of different regions. Be known for fusion of dishes and create new dishes with new tastes.
Guide and mentor
- A master chef should be a mentor and a guide to the chefs in the company or the restaurant. He should be able to reach out and help the chef in preparing the menu cards and the dishes. He should also be able to take delivery service to keep customers on his list and not to lose them. He should be a taskmaster and assume the role of a leader to order and get the tasks completed on time. He should guide and give instructions to his chefs for customer's service
- He should train waiting staff to be available throughout the occasion for taking care of the guests. He should provide hands-on experience for other chefs and help them in problem-solving issues. He should be approachable to all, for giving suggestions and guidance whenever needed. He should be firm in his decisions making skills and logical thinking abilities. He should possess good rapport and interpersonal skills. He should have understanding capacities with the members of the company/where he is working.
- He should be self motivated to learn the qualities of the dishes and its uniqueness. He should be able to provide first class service to people/customers for all kinds of functions/occasions, for their most important day. He should have different service styles for pleasing the customers and bring smile and contentment on their faces. He should have built a reputation of class service and name for himself / his restaurant. He should be satisfying the service orders at all times and in providing quick service for the customers.
- He should be a lifelong learner to improve his skills and adapt to new techniques and technologies. He should possess the skills to display the variety of foods available on the walls of the restaurant, display boards with attractive dishes images with eye-catching captions. He should display a high standard of cleanliness and professionalism in his job and personally. Working in the kitchen can be inspiring and joyful. He becomes a source of inspiration for many and a motivator for other chefs to follow his working styles.
Good business acumen
- He should be able to procure the food sources at low cost and be able to provide highest quality food services with gain. He should know the rules and regulations set by the food departments and follow them according to avoid any issues arising from the customers or from the food sectors. He should be able to provide high-quality food which is healthy and also cost-effective to the customers to get customers confidence and build upon the business and for its expansion
- He should be able to procure the food sources at low cost and be able to provide highest quality food services with gain. He should have strong self-confidence and self-control to take criticism and to depend on the quality of the services provides/cuisine served. He should know how to get the equipment's culinary materials fixed /replaced. He should maintain all the equipment's utensils and cutting boards. Should follow safety precautions and take to avoid adulteration of food.
- In unavoidable circumstances, he should take up the roles of other employees in the restaurant to meet the demands of the food services, of getting the food sources, or help in the transportation, billing the food service, accounting as the situation demands. He should be a decor artist in creating a pleasant ambiance for the people to have foods in comfortable settings. He should offer wide range of dishes for the customers. The customers should have a varied options to choose the menu. The dishes should suit everyone's palate. He should be able to tackle complaints from customers and solve it amicably.
- He should possess the skills to display the variety of foods available on the walls of the restaurant, display boards with attractive dishes images with eye-catching captions. He should display a high standard of cleanliness and professionalism in his job and personally. He should be business acumen for his professional progress and for his business prosperity. He should provide a personal touch for all dishes delicacies with his culinary skills. He should have a wide knowledge of all kinds of food sources, their flavors, their important, health benefits and for what dishes they are used. He should have good analytical skills and judging abilities.
- He should have a menu cards with dishes mentioned and their prices to make the customers aware of the budgets they can spend upon. He should know the measurements of ingredients accurately, different styles of service for different occasions, such as family functions, corporate events/ meetings, festivals. He should have expert culinary skills and be a versatile chef to prepare for all age groups of people. He should be willing to take up customized food menu from the customers.
- He should answer the queries patiently and cater to all types of questions raised by the dinners and from different kinds of people. He should be an expert in creating innovative dishes from natural ingredients to provide lasting flavours that linger on everyone's' taste buds. He should have the art of welcoming guests with warm gestures. He should have the ability to provide cheerful and friendly service and on time to obtain customers trust and for the business to prosper. He should avoid any verbal arguments with the customers. He should handle issues professionally. He should possess good manipulative skills and quick in decision making abilities to make arrangements for time delivery, altered menu, preparing different kinds of dishes if changes are made in orders
- He should have strong self-confidence and self-control to take criticism and to depend on the quality of the services provides/cuisine served. He should display pleasant mannerism and avoid arguments and suppress anger. He should be aware of all kinds of dishes that need to be prepared for all occasions such as weddings, parties, ceremonies, get together, company meetings, family gatherings, students functions, festivals, theme-based foods services. The experience of having the food at the restaurant should leave a memorable dining for a lifetime. He should be environment conscious, be Eco-friendly. He should follow the art of carefully disposing the waste scientifically and help a hand in clean surroundings.
Job Opportunities for Master chef's
- There are plenty of jobs available for master chefs. They can own their restaurant/hotels. They can venture into catering business, food sector industries, marketing. They can take up the jobs in star hotels, restaurant, health clubs, corporate companies, airline catering, educational institutions, resorts, work as freelancers for health magazines/food books, print and media. They find jobs in institutions/colleges as trainers/professors, in research organizations as food researcher.They can host food shows on television. The can work as director, anchor, presenter, be a judge. He will have the opportunities to work in the country or abroad. They can be kitchen gardeners, organic food producers. He can choose to train individuals in cooking, prepare individuals for master chef competitions, be a guide and mentor for food business enthusiasts and entrepreneurs.
- Jobs are available as food consultant, food critics, food expert, food nutritionist, master chef, cooking supervisor, catering manager, lead master chef, as a guide and mentor for chefs and interns. They can opt for working in recipe development areas, in wine and beverage sectors, caterer, events manager, food stylists, public relation officers, he can venture into his own business and be an entrepreneur in different areas of food sectors, food planner, food designer, food marketer, food event manager, food retailer, cashier, accountant, food budget planner, product purchasing manager.