There are plenty of articles online that give advice on how to boost writing skills. The people who write such articles will often consider themselves to be writers and therefore feel that their opinions and thoughts on writing skills are important. That is why there are so many online articles about boosting writing skills. Here are a few writing tips that you will not find in other articles. Many of the tips came from the Nsw-writers.com assignment help review site, who spend their working week on research and writing.
- Keep Learning And Keep Learning The writers who do not make a conscious effort to continue building their writing skills are typically the ones who fall into a rut to the point where they become worse and worse writers. What is more irksome is that these same people will then claim that they know what they are doing because they have spend X years as a writers. You can spend as many years as you like doing something and still be pretty poor at it. You need to make a conscious effort to learn more and to keep improving your writing style, type, tone, flow, attitude, impact, spelling and grammar.
- Save All Of The Proofreading Until The EndAs you write your text, you are going to see small red lines appear under the words you have spelled incorrectly, and you are probably going to notice a bunch of grammatical mistakes too. Do not go back and change them. Wait until the very end and let your spelling and grammar checker do it.
- Eliminate The Fluff And Get To The PointFluff is the sort of thing that you learn to hate. It is the act of dancing around a subject in order to increase the word count. Students do it all the time when they have finished writing their essay but it is under the desired word count.
- Try A Template Writing StyleWriting with a simple template is sometimes a good idea if you are writing blog posts. You can try simple templates such as never having a paragraph that is over four sentences, but templates such as that are useless. You could also try a template where you have to put a joke or something funny in the last line of every paragraph. Another template may include an active reference to your main theme just prior to any addition of an image to your blog post or article.
- Planning Makes Writing So Much EasierHow well you plan is up to you. You are free to write a very detailed plan that also includes a time schedule, or you may write an article by coming up with the headers first and then filling in the rest when you write your first draft. Writing without any sort of plan will make the process more laborious, and there is a chance that your work will be thin, unbalanced, poorly weighted, or difficult to follow.
- Learn How Many Lines Make Up How Many WordsPlan your text by learning how many words take up each line. For example, you may have to write this article with a word count of 1000 words. You know there is an introduction, a conclusion, and ten points with a paragraph each. That is 12 paragraphs in total, so you divide 1000 by 12 to get 83. That is 83 words per section, and each line holds an average of 15 words. That is an average of 5 lines per section.
- Stop Trying To Add Emotion Because It StinksMost people's efforts in the realm of fiction are terrible because conveying or creating emotion with words is harder than pushing a carrot in a hippo's ear. Just leave the emotion out of it unless you are writing for other people and emotion is explicitly demanded.
- Borrowing Authority Is Effective and Meaningless at the Same TimeMany people love statistics and quotes, which is why they are so effective, but statistics are mostly meaningless. For example, just because 50,000 people said that the Batman vs Superman movie was good--doesn't mean that it was. Most of those people only made the comment because they liked the Batman bits. In addition, no matter what quote or statistic you come up with, there are almost always others out there that would directly contradict your point.
- Eliminate All Unnecessary Words From Your WritingBasically, Simply, To Be Honest, Just Saying, I'm Just Saying, Like, Seriously, Literally, I Mean, I Could Care Less. All of those are filler words that are annoying when they are spoken and are equally irritating when they are written. The last one, "I could care less" is doubly annoying because most people actually mean, "I couldn't care less." It only takes a rudimentary understanding of English to understand that, "I could care less" means that you do care. Filler words may seem harmless to you, but they are painful for people who are exposed to them on a regular basis.
- You Are A Poor Judge Of Your Own Work And So Are Other PeopleAs you write, you get something that the Simpsons called "Pride of Authorship" and what others call the "IKEA effect." In other words, you create an emotional bond with the thing you create. Usually the emotional bond comes through spending lots of time creating whatever it is that you create.
As a result of the emotional bond you create with your written work, you are unable to see if it is good or not. When you try giving your writing out to other people to see if they like it, you find that other people are pretty bad when it comes to judging your written quality too. There is a strong possibility that you will hand your work over to a person who is not part of your target audience, and you also have to consider each critic's motivation for pulling you down and/or failing to compliment your work. Instead of trusting your opinion or the opinion of other people, trust things such as how many people look at your text and stick around on your web page long enough to read it. Use other judging tools besides your opinion and the opinion of a small group of others.
Conclusion - The Most Important Step Is....
Continually trying to improve your writing is your key to success. Try to improve all aspects of your writing, from the way you string together words, to how quickly you type. Every now and again, take a critical look at your work and ask yourself if it was truly your best work. Reading this article was a good start, so you may also like to try these good writing tips and these tips on how to write a great article too.