Visakhapatnam: Best place in Andhra Pradesh for enjoying Christmas/New year holidays
Many of us will be planning to have a vacation in the year-end for the Christmas holidays and also to enjoy New year day. There are many places around the world one can choose based on the capacity and affordability. Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh is a very good place for the people to spend some good time these days. This article gives the various details that will be useful for a tourist who desires to have a holiday spent here.
Introduction Visakhapatnam is the second largest city in the state of Andhra Pradesh. It is an industrial city. This place attracts many tourists due to the presence of various sandy beaches and beautiful parks. This city is also known as Vizag and Waltair. Vizag is called The Goa of the East, Jewel on the Coromandel Coast, City of Destiny and Steel city. There are many good places to see including good beaches. The city is being developed as a smart city and the roads are beautiful and very clean. The colonies are well planned and well developed. Andhra University is a very famous university situated here.
The people basically here are Telugu people but you will find people from other states of the country as there are many industries in the public centre and Eastern Naval Command is situated in this place. There are very good educational Institutions and central government laboratories. There are very good places of worship in this city belonging to all the important religions of India. People here are very tolerant of other religion's people and they live in harmony without any disputes.
How to reach this placeBy air: Vizag is very well connected by air from almost all major cities of India and some other countries also. One of the international airport located here is very well connected to all the parts of the city by road. There are government buses, taxis and autos from this airport to all the areas of the city.
By rail: This place is in Kolkata- Chennai main railway line and connected to many cities of India by rail. The station comes under East Coast railway and is one of the principal Divisional Headquarters. This is a good railway station with 8 platforms and all platforms can accommodate about 28 coaches.
By bus: This place is connected to Chennai and Calcutta via Bhubaneswar and Vijayawada on NH 5. There are buses from all the places of the state and from the neighbouring states. There are sleeper buses and Volvo buses. There are private buses also.
You can move around in the city with government local buses. Autos and cabs are also available. Ola and Uber's services are also available.
Where to stayThere are very good lodges and hotels here to stay. Based on your budget, you can select costly or medium type hotels. The Daspalla, The Grand Central Hotel and Green Park are well-known hotels where costly people can stay. 99 Residency, Athidhi The Guest House. Beach View Guest Dolphin, Dwaraka Inn, The Grand Central Hotel are good places with affordable prices.
Places to visit in Visakhapatnam There are many beautiful places including a number of beaches which are very attractive.
- Kailasagiri: It is a park constructed on a hill top just 6 km away from the city centre. Once you are at the top of the hill you can see a beautiful view of the city and the sea. There is a ropeway to reach this hilltop. There is a beautiful toy train that gives a glimpse of the beauty of nature around the city on this hilltop. There are several points from where you can have a glimpse of the beautiful rocky beach down beneath
- Araku Valley: It is a place a little further away from the city. The journey time is about 6 hr by train or public bus. There is a passenger train from Vizag which travels through this place. The train ride is very happy and enjoyable. This train runs through a lot of small mountains and tunnels. The APTDC facilities are good for staying overnight at this place. The Padmavathi botanical gardens in this place are worth having a look at. November to February is the best time to visit this place
- Borra Caves: These caves are modernized by the Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation (APTDC). All the tourists visiting Vizag must visit this
- Jagadamba Centre: The name to the centre came from the fantastic and one of the best movie auditoriums in this place called Jagadamba movie theatre. Many of the famous shopping centres and malls in the city are around this place.
- Kambalakonda: This place is not much known to the local people also. The place can be reached within half an hour from the city. The greenery and the view of the ocean from the viewing tower will make the visitor feel very happy and gives a good relief from their routine daily problems.
- Matsyadarshini Aquarium: This place is in R.K. Beach. The exit gate of the aquarium resembles the open mouth of a shark
- Simhachalam: This is considered to be a holy place and we should not miss this place during our visit to Visakhapatnam. The temple may be belonging to the 10-11th centuries. The temple is dedicated to the half man half lion avatar of Lord Vishnu. The environment in the temple is very pleasant.
- War Memorial: The place is a memorial of the Victory at Sea on 1971 Indo Pak war. It is on the Beach Road. There are a fighter plane, a tank and few models of missiles kept as exhibits.
- Bojanala Konda: This place is around 40 km from Visakhapatnam. We can see the remnants of the Buddhist period. We can find Buddhist monuments dated from 200 BC to 700 AD.
- Naval Museum: This is a museum for the maritime history of India. It is a good museum for pictures and content of Indian maritime history.
- Submarine Museum. This is a museum in a real decommissioned submarine of Indian Navy. This is the first of its kind in eastern Asia. We can see interesting facts about working in the submarine. The museum is manned by retired naval people.
Best beaches in Visakhapatnam Vizag is very well known for its beaches. The beaches are a treat for eyes and uncrowded. There are some virgin beaches along the eastern side of the city.
- Yarada beach : It is one such beach. You can reach this place by RTC buses or cabs. It's a private beach. Some part this beach is not in private property. But it will take more time to enter the beach through that area.
- Bhimili Beach: This is located at about 25 km from the city. The beach is a very good place to visit. The remains of a Portuguese church, Dutch cemeteries and a Buddhist Monastery are worth visiting.
- Gangavaram Beach: It is about 11 Kms from the city. This is the most beautiful beach. The rock-like structure in between the see here is like a small island. It attracts many people to this place.
- Ramakrishna Beach: This beach is very well known as R.K.Beach. It is the most popular beach and more crowds can be seen hanging out here in the evenings. On weekends and holidays in the evenings, one can see people dressed in their best clothes just sitting on the benches or walking along. Swimming here is very risky and not allowed. This RK Beach offers pedestrian tracks, parks, museums, beaches and open-air restaurants.
- Rishikonda Beach: This place is about 10 km away from the city. This has become a popular tourist spot and even many local people will be visiting this place very often. AP Tourism Development Corporation is having its Beach Resort called Punnami on the hillside overlooking the beach.
ConclusionsVisakhapatnam is a very famous place for a family visit. In the winter the atmosphere is very good and if we sit on the beaches here in the evenings we can enjoy nature. There are very good places including beaches, temples, museums and historical places. A stay for 6 to 7 days here will give us the best refreshment and this is the best place to plan a visit during Christmas or New Year holidays.