How to apply for change of name on caste certificate in India

Does your caste certificate bear incorrect name? If you belong to SC, ST or OBC community and want to know the procedure to correct the spelling mistake on caste certificate, read this article to know the details.

Looking for the information to change your caste or your name on your caste certificate? Yes, you can easily change any error in the document without much hassle. First of all, I would like to list down a few examples of scenarios in which you might be willing to make rectification/s.

  • Your name is Deepti but your caste certificate bears your name as Dipti.
  • Your full name is Nilesh Mahey and all documents bears your full name only. But your name in the records of Panchayat register is Nilesh only.
  • You have to make any type of change in SC/ ST/ OBC caste certificate and/ or caste validity certificate.

Now the question arises- why is it mandatory to make required changes? Why not your caste certificate can show your name as Dipti while your name is Deepti in all other documents? This is because any mismatch can put you in trouble at the time of seeking admission or job under reserved quota. If your name or caste name/ spellings do not tally, you may be deprived of the benefits provided to the reserved categories.

Steps to correct the spelling mistake on caste certificate

  1. You have to create an affidavit with the notary and pro bono declaration. Mention your correct name or correct spellings of your full name.
  2. Publish your correct name in two newspapers out of which one newspaper should be an English daily newspaper and another one should be a daily newspaper in the local language of your state. Format to publish the change of name advertisement in the newspaper could be like this-

    I, Deepti, D/o Mahesh Mahey, hereby declares that my full name is Deepti Mahey and I should be known by this name only for all purposes.

    Advertisement in the newspaper is required to be published so that if, in any case, any person have any objection with the change in your name, he can raise an objection against the same within a time frame of 30 days. Hence it is made mandatory in law to publish an advertisement in two newspapers for change of name legally in India.
  3. If you are a government employee, you have to mandatory go for a Gazette notification. Non-government employees can also opt for Gazette notification. You can check here application format for Official Gazette notification.
  4. After following above provided steps, you will be able to correct your name in Panchayat register, and hence your caste certificate too.

Disclaimer: Information provided here is accurate to the best of my knowledge. Readers are advised to seek the services of a lawyer or consult a legal practitioner for better guidance.

Article by Nidhi
Nidhi is a freelance content writer with 10+ years of experience. She has a great passion to write on valuable topics so as to provide accurate information to her readers. She is also keen to provide employment to all Indians and so posts various job openings too in this website.

Follow Nidhi or read 393 articles authored by Nidhi

Related Articles

How to prevent acne scars?

This article explains various measures which keep acne under control. This decreases inflammation and consequently chances of formation of acne scars too decreases. Actions like not picking at skin, proper hydration, using sunscreen lotions, proper skin care regime etc prevent formation of acne scars.

How To Control Anger?

Have you ever been angry and later on felt sad for being angry on some one or something? Do you want to control your anger ? Is anger good or not ? The following article will discuss about anger and measures through which we can control our anger.

How to remove blood stains from delicate fabrics and specific surfaces?

This article explains various tips and methods to get rid of blood stains from delicate fabrics like silk, satin, woolen, linen etc and from specific surfaces like concrete, hardwood floors, mattress, quilt, leather, carpets etc. These methods used can make them free from blood stains.

Top 9 tips and exercises to sharpen the mind and boost brainpower

The brain needs constant stimulation to remain alert and active. Practice good habits that can sharpen your memory and help you stay alert and on top of your game at all times. Simple lifestyle changes that involve the number of you sleep or what you eat or how you relax can play a great role in how your brain functions. Find out what you need to do right, to get the best out of your grey cells.

How to become a pathologist with top hospitals in India

Are you looking for a career in medicine as a clinical pathologist? Need to know how to start a pathology lab? This article provides complete information on the different specializations in pathology and a career guide on starting a career as a pathologist. You will also get a general idea on the approximate costs of setting up your own path lab.

More articles: How to How to


Author: Umesh18 Jul 2019 Member Level: Platinum   Points : 4

Many students are facing the problem of name mismatch in their certificates, mark sheets, caste certificate etc and it becomes a big problem at the time of document verification or interview or joining a position. The author has laid down a detailed procedure for the same and is definitely useful for the affected person. I think gazette notification is nowadays essential for all categories of the people. It, of course, takes 15-20 days time for publication in the gazette which is an authentic document of the Govt and is accepted in toto. People should be very careful in writing their names while applying or registering for some course. Many times what happens is that some mistake happens at that time and then it is carried forward to future and by the time we note the mistake, it is too late and we have to go through all sort of hassles of making affidavit etc. So in these cases, prevention is better than cure.

Author: DR.N.V. Srinivasa Rao06 Aug 2019 Member Level: Platinum   Points : 5

It is advisable to see the correctness of the document as soon as we receive it and we should bring it to the notice of the concerned. In such a case, the process of correcting the name will be easy. One should also be careful while writing their name, father's name and all other personal details. But these days we observe that people realize the mistake after the lapse of a lot of time. In such a case correction will become difficult.

Any mistake in the caste certificate which is due to the mistake done by the issuing officer, you can approach him immediately and give him a letter in writing stating the mistake and submitting the proof of correct name. Generally, the issuing authority is MRO of that Mandal and it will not take much time and they can do it fast. If there is confusion like different documents showing different names, you may have to go for an affidavit. For this, you may take the help of a lawyer. Gazette publication to the effect is also to be carried out.

  • Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
  • No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
  • This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
  • Name: