In order to complete the journey to becoming an ACCA member, students need to progress through several elements of the ACCA qualification. Besides helping you develop essential finance and accounting skills, these elements also aids in broadening your understanding of all professional sectors. It helps students prepare for future leadership positions, allowing them to specialise in areas that best suit their career ambitions.
Here is a list of the different papers in ACCA qualification that you need to pass in order to become an ACCA member.
ACCA examination papers:
- Applied Knowledge:
- Accountant in Business (AB) – It deals with the key aspects of the contemporary business environment, its structure, governance, and management. It also sheds light on the specific functions of accounting and internal financial control of a system.
- Management Accounting (MA) – This paper is structured to allow students to develop decision-making processes, required while executing managerial responsibilities. The main elements of this paper comprise of cost classification and accounting techniques, business mathematics, budgeting and short-term decision-making techniques.
- Financial Accounting (FA) – Studying this paper will allow students to gain technical proficiency in double-entry accounting techniques. Students will also become efficient in preparing trial balance sheets and basic financial statements.
- Applied skills:
- Corporate and Business Law (LW) – Through this unit, students will acquire the ability to critically analyse legal issues relating to business, as well as provide specialist legal advice to identify situations.
- Performance Management (PM) – This paper deals with the application of quantitative and qualitative data to execute planning, decision-making and evaluating performance.
- Taxation (TX) – It provides candidates with a foundational knowledge of the business taxation system and its impact on individuals, companies, and groups of businesses.
- Financial Reporting (FR) – Through this module, students will learn about the theoretical principles of financial statement formation, as well as obtain an in-depth understanding of accounting standards and financial reporting.
- Audit and Assurance (AA) – It allows students to hone dividend policy decision-making and equip them with the skills required to become well-trained financial officers.
- Financial Management (FM) – The main elements of this section are acquisitions and mergers and emerging issues in finance and financial management.
- Strategic Professional
- Strategic Business Leader (SBL) – This module offers students professional skills in terms of organisational leadership and senior consultancy or advisory capabilities.
- Strategic Business Reporting (SBR) – This unit deals with the application and evaluation of financial reporting principles, related to a variety of business contexts.
- Advanced Financial Management (AFM) – Through this unit, students will be able to explore the world of finance, with a different insight. It puts emphasis that students become aware of topics such as advanced investment appraisal, corporate reconstruction and re-organisation.
- Advanced Performance Management (APM) – This unit focuses on the strategic development of global organisations, including performance assessment systems and design.
- Advanced Taxation (ATX) – In this module, students will undergo a comprehensive study on large-scale taxation and its effects on financial decision-making.
- Advanced Audit and Assurance (AAA) – This paper is tailored to help students become proficient in analysing, evaluating and reporting on assurance engagements.
Best sources to find about the past ACCA exam papers
Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) is a globally-recognised accounting body with centres in 52 countries and members hailing from 179 countries. Acquiring the qualification requires students to go through a rigorous study schedule and develop the necessary skills to become an ACCA-certified professional. One of the best ways to prepare for the ACCA qualification exams is to refer and practise the past exam papers. To strengthen your preparation for the certification exams, here's a list of the sources you can check out for the past exam papers.
- ACCA Global: ACCA's official website lets students access the past exam papers so they can become familiar with the structure and the type of questions that may be asked in the exam. This is one of the most credible sources for past ACCA exam papers as ACCA Global conducts the certification exams for ACCA aspirants.
- Reputed institutions' websites: Institutions that offer preparatory courses for ACCA, generally, also offer access to past ACCA exam papers. This helps students to be prepared for what they will be facing in the certification exams. Furthermore, these sources also provide the answers to all past exam papers to help students better prepare for the qualification exams. Students can also avail expert guidance from tutors to understand how they can realistically produce answers in the exam. Additionally, they can develop their writing and time management skills to efficiently answer in the papers. Students can also learn how to optimise their time and constantly update their ACCA-related knowledge through these papers.
- OpenTuition: This website gives students access to past exams for all levels of the ACCA papers. It also offers mock exam papers for students to experience the environment of an actual exam. It gives students the opportunity to test how effectively they can manage time while appearing for the certification papers.
Apart from referring to the past exam papers of ACCA, here's what you can do to excel at the examination:
- Understand the concepts: ACCA certification exams focus largely on the underlying concepts of subjects. Hence, you must give equal priority to the theoretical explanation of concepts as well as the practical implementation of the knowledge acquired.
- Practice: Practice is the key to success, especially when it comes to ACCA papers. The more you practice, the more you will become familiar with concepts and the easier it will be to answer complicated questions in the exam.
- Prioritise: The expanse of course content is vast and it is necessary that you prioritise the subjects. While doing so, keep in mind things such as the subject you find most difficult, the amount of time you need to dedicate to each subject and which subjects need more revision time.
- Manage stress: Since appearing for the ACCA qualification exams can be a daunting experience, it is natural for aspirants to undergo stress. Hence, ensure that you take adequate breaks in between your study schedule to relax and recharge your brain. If you study under stress, chances are that your brain will not be able to absorb as much information as you would like it to.
If you are interested in becoming an ACCA-qualified professional, apply to an ACCA preparatory course and get access to an extra bunch of resources for your exam preparation.