Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship 2020 – opportunities for international students
Fully paid scholarships are being offered by the Brunei government to foreign students to study in Brunei. Learn here all about this scholarship, the eligibility criteria, the universities in Brunei and the general terms and conditions. Also, learn about the process to apply for this scholarship.
About Brunei Darussalam Brunei Darussalam, popularly know as Brunei, is a small country located on the island of Borneo in Southeast Asia. It has Malaysia as its immediate neighbour with which it shares a land border. Brunei is an industrialized country with rich reserves of petroleum and natural gas. The country's per capita income is one of the highest in the world. The population of Brunei is very small. It is less than even half a million. Malays (67%) and Chinese (10%), form the bulk of its population. Apart from them, there is a large expatriate population in Brunei from countries like Australia, Japan, Thailand, South Korea, India, Philippines, Vietnam and the UK. English is a commonly spoken language in Brunei.
Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship For the academic session 2020-2021, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Brunei has invited applications from foreign students for scholarships under its Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship scheme. The scholarship is for undertaking diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses in any of the four following institutions of higher learning in Brunei.
The academic session in Brunei is to commence from July/August 2020.
- Universiti Brunei Darussalam
- Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali
- Universiti Teknologi Brunei
- Politeknik Brunei
Whom it is meant for
- Applicants preferably from the ASEAN, Commonwealth and OIC member countries.
- For diploma and undergraduate programs, the applicant's age should be between 18-25 years, as on 31 July 2020.
- For postgraduate programs, the applicant's age should not exceed 35 years.
- Permanent residents of Brunei Darussalam are not eligible for this scholarship.
What does the scholarship cover Following are the benefits that will accrue to the recipient of this scholarship.
- The students are exempted from paying tuition fees, acceptance fees, registration fees, examination fees and orientation fees for the entire duration of their study.
- Prior to the start of the course, the recipients are provided with an economy class air ticket from the scholarship recipient's country of origin. Similarly, an economy class air ticket from Brunei to the recipient's country of origin is provided at the end of the course.
- A monthly personal allowance of 500 Brunei dollar (One Brunei dollar equals around 52.65 Indian Rupees).
- A monthly meals allowance of 150 Brunei dollar.
- A separate monthly book allowance of 600 Brunei dollar.
- Baggage allowance to the tune of 250 Brunei dollar to countries within the ASEAN region. For countries beyond the ASEAN region, the allowances are 500 Brunei dollar. The baggage allowance is given for shipping of personal belongings on completion of the course.
- The scholarship covers residential accommodation provided by the university or college.
- It also covers a comprehensive insurance plan for the entire period of stay. However, it is recommended that the students take an additional insurance cover at their own cost, for the entire duration of their stay in Brunei.
General terms and conditions The detailed terms and conditions will be made known to the candidates once their application is through and an offer of a scholarship is made to them. However, some of the general terms and conditions are enumerated below.
- The recipient is not permitted to hold any other scholarship, concurrently. The scholarship will be revoked, if the recipient is found holding another grant, loan, fellowship or scholarship without the prior permission of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Brunei Government.
- Family members are not to be brought along. Family members, even if spouse or children, will not be provided with any kind of accommodation.
- There are no provisions for marriage or child allowance to the scholarship recipients.
- During the scholarship period, no paid employment can be taken up by the students, nor can they serve as staff of any country's diplomatic mission in Brunei Darussalam.
- They are not to take part in any kind of political activities.
- They are to obey the rules and regulations of the country and respect its customs, culture and official religion, which is Islam.
- At all times, the recipient has to abide and conform to the rules and regulations of this scholarship as well as the university or polytechnic, where the admission has been taken.
- The scholarship recipient has to undergo health screening, whenever deemed necessary by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- The scholarship recipient is expected to leave the country immediately after the completion of the programme.
How to apply
- For applying for the Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship, applicants have to visit the website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Brunei Darussalam at www.mfa.gov.bn.
- The application form is to be downloaded from the download link given at the scholarship notification page.
- Duly filled in application form has to be endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the National Focal Point for scholarships at the applicant's country of origin.
- The applicant also needs to submit a security clearance certificate from the police, certifying that the applicant is free from any civil or criminal cases.
- The completed application form is to be then e-mailed at applyBDGS2020@mfa.gov.bn.
- The application form and other supporting documents are to be submitted in word/PDF/JPG format only and the size of the e-mail and the attachments should not exceed 10MB.
- The applicants are also required to submit an online application form, if they are applying to Universiti Brunei Darussalam for a study abroad program. The link for the same is https://apply.ubd.edu.bn/orbeon/uis-welcome/.
E-mail address for sending the application: applyBDGS2020@mfa.gov.bn
Last date for receiving application forms 14 February 2020, 1600 hrs (Brunei time)
The application form should be duly filled and submitted along with the necessary documents.
Documents to be submitted Following is the list of important documents that are to be sent along with the application form.
- Certified copies of academic qualifications, mark sheets, certificates and testimonials.
- Certified copy of applicant's date of birth certificate.
- Certified copy of applicant's passport.
- Statement of purpose, describing plans for study or research to be pursued and future career plans.
- Recent passport size photographs
- Certified English translations of any document that is not in English
- Security clearance from applicant's country of origin or residence.
Selection procedure The applicants will be required to appear for an interview or written test depending upon the institute, where the applicant is seeking admission. The written test will assess the proficiency of the applicant in English, Malay or Arabic language as per the requirement of the academic program and the institute or college. Only the successful applicants will be notified of their result by e-mail.
Programmes offered The details of the academic programmes being offered by the four universities in Brunei and their entry requirements can be obtained by visiting the respective links that have been provided for each of the university in the scholarship notification page itself.
For queries and assistance, contactTechnical Assistance Division
Department of Administration,
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Bandar Seri Begawan BD2710,
Phone: +673 2261177 ext. 310/684
Fax: +673 2261250