Ashoka University fully funded HYI Postdoctoral Fellowship Positions applications open
Are you interested in China Studies? The Ashoka University and the Harvard-Yenching Institute (HYI) are jointly offering the Ashoka-HYI Postdoctoral Fellowship in China Studies. In this fellowship scheme, the selected postdoctoral researcher will get an opportunity to conduct a two-year study on China. Read this article to get full information on eligibility, research areas, stipend, number and duration of the fellowship, selection process, etc.
About fellowship The Ashoka University and the Harvard-Yenching Institute (HYI) are offering the Ashoka-HYI Postdoctoral Fellowship in China Studies. In this fellowship scheme, the selected postdoctoral researcher will get an opportunity to conduct a two-year study on China. Ashoka University has invited applications for HYI Postdoctoral Fellowship Positions (fully funded) from eligible and interested candidates.
EligibilityThe applicant should fulfil the following criteria for the post-doctoral fellowship positions:
- The scholars who have completed their PhDs anytime after 2011 or by the start date of the fellowship.
- Applicants should be a scholar of China Studies.
- Indian citizens are eligible to apply.
- Non-Indian citizens can also apply on the condition of willingness to commit to the development of China Studies as a discipline in India for at least next four to five years.
- The applicant should have written and spoken knowledge of Mandarin Chinese.
- Applicants will have to commit to working in Indian academia for the next four to five years.
Research AreasThe focus of the study will be specifically on China (utilizing Chinese language sources) across various disciplines of humanities and social science.
Following disciplines are included such as anthropology, archaeology, cultural studies, economics, geography, history, international relations, language and literature, legal history, philosophy, political science, religion and sociology etc.
Other terms and conditions
- Fellowship will start from Fall 2020 semester.
- The fellowship will include research as well as teaching during program tenure.
No. of fellowshipThere are total 10 no. of positions.
LocationAcross different universities within India.
Duration of fellowshipThe fellowship duration is two years. However, it will be extendable to an additional (third) year on a satisfactory performance basis.
- A stipend of INR 1,00,000 per month will be given to the fellow.
- Research award of INR 4,50,000 per annum will also be provided.
Assessment of performance
- After completion of two years of the fellowship program, fellow's performance will be assessed based on the feedback received from the host institution.
- Candidates willingness for extension of research.
- Quality of research undertaken.
- During this extended third year, the main focus will be given to research and teaching will not mandate.
- During this period candidate can do work on the thesis as well as visiting China for field study.
Work to be done by fellows
- Fellows will have to teach and complete at least 2 courses per year at their host institution.
- The fellow will research in line with the proposed research proposal during the fellowship period.
- Fellows are supposed to convert their research into a book /academic paper, publish their work in reputed journals.
- The fellow will have to deliver multiple lectures based on their research.
Application process and selectionApplication is to be submitted online through the official website of Ashoka University.Round 1 application will include:
- Details of academic qualification and work experience.
- Preliminary research proposal for two years.
- Statement of research interest in China Studies or India–China comparative studies.
Interviews of round 1 applicantsBased on the screening of application, an applicant will be invited for an interview before the Fellowship Committee. During the interview, the Committee will assess the applicant's willingness to pursue China Studies academically, and their intent to contribute to Indian academia.Partner institutions will also review profiles of the potential fellows to approve the selection of fellows.
What are the important dates?
- Round 1 (for Fall 2020 semester): February 10, 2020 to March 31, 2020
Application start date: February 10, 2020
- The deadline for round 1 application: March 31, 2020
- Interviews of round 1 applicants for Fall 2020 semester: April 01, 2020 to April 15, 2020
- Application closing date: August 30, 2020
- Start of the semester: July-September 2020
- First review: September 2021
- Final presentation: September 2022
What are the expectations from fellows?
- The fellow will help in the creation of the course curriculum in consultation with the host institution.
- Publication of research paper book, in leading journals. Fellows should deliver the lecture.
- Progress of fellows will be review every year.
- After completion of their Fellowship period, fellows will have to be present their research before China experts, their mentors, senior faculty from partner universities, students and other scholars of China.
For queries and clarificationsMore details about the fellowship and application available on the Ashoka University website and website of Hayward Yenching Institute
- Email: email@example.com