IntroductionWe all know that we need to drink at least two litres of water throughout the day to maintain health. More water intake is necessary in case of work with high physical intensity and during hot weather. The more amount of water gets lost from the body, the more we need to up the intake. However, most of us do not drink enough water. There are many reasons for it. Some do not like the taste. Others are too busy to include it in enough amount in daily routine. Also, the most important thing to remember is not to gulp down everything at once but to sip it in a small amount every few hours. Below-mentioned is some easy ways that will help us to fulfil our body's daily requirement, and stay hydrated for better functioning of the body. Always remember that water is very much essential to remain fit and healthy.
Prepare a routine to increase daily water intakeThe most important point is to know and note down the current water intake. Next step is to decide how much more to consume. All we have to do is find ways to fit those extra glasses in daily routine. Those who gulp down the whole amount at once should prepare a routine in which they need to distribute the amount throughout the day. Those of us who cannot fulfil our body's daily water requirement needs to prepare a chart and follow the timetable of sipping sufficient water throughout the day so that by the end of the day the purpose gets served. Also, while preparing a routine, make sure to increase the water intake gradually. We may be drinking too little water, let's say around four glasses. We should not jump to drinking eight glasses on the very first day. Try to gradually increase the water intake to avoid unpleasant feelings which can be nausea or too frequent urge to go to washrooms. Also, our body requires some time to process the changes that we are incorporating. Thus, let the changes take place gradually.
Set remindersAfter preparing a proper timetable, we need to remind ourselves to follow it. Set alarms or reminders on the mobiles. Lots of applications can serve the purpose. Download one such app on a smartphone and take advantage of it to fulfil the body's daily water requirement. These apps remind us to drink enough water every few hours and also lets us know our daily water intake. One best way to increase water intake and remind ourselves of drinking more of it is to always carry a water bottle with us. In such cases, we cannot escape by giving an excuse that we were busy and could not get up from the desk to grab a glass of water. Also, it reminds us to have a sip now and then. Place it where eyes can see easily. Carry it when going for a walk, gym, office, in the car and wherever we go. Once empty, refill it and take the best advantage of it.
Amazing hydrating tips
- The body wants to maintain fluid balance. Hence, it sends out the thirst signal after urination. Many of us ignore the sign and continue with our work. Thus, every time we take a washroom break, we can spare a minute and drink some water. Soon this will turn into a habit. The more amount of water we drink, the more we will be made to take bathroom breaks, and the cycle will continue.
- Higher intensity of work that we indulge in makes our body to lose more amount of water in the form of sweat. Thus, we need to replenish it back by drinking more water. After every work out session in a gym or at home or after coming from a walk, make sure to drink enough water. Taking a few sips before and in between workout sessions can be done. After we have finished working out, we need to rest for a while. When our body cools down, we need to replenish the loss by drinking more amount of water.
- Start the day with a glass of water. What can be the better way to jumpstart the day than by hydrating the body? We break our fast with nutritious food in the morning, but we do not care to rehydrate our body after it has spent the whole night without any fluids. Drinking water on an empty stomach not only rehydrates the body but also increases metabolic rate which will aid in weight loss.
- Drink a glass of water when waiting for something or somebody. For example, when the tea or coffee is brewing, slowly sip a glass of water. Do the same while preparing meals. Lift the glass from the table and quench the thirst when waiting for the ordered meals to arrive in the restaurant. While waiting for somebody to arrive, kill that time by drinking some water.
- Always drink at least half a glass of water before drinking tea or coffee. Caffeinated beverages have diuretic effects on the body. Thus, it is the best way to overcome the effects and increase water intake. Also, drink before meals. Consequently, we will end up eating fewer calories, as most of the times we are thirsty than hungry. It aids in weight loss.
- Reach for a glass of water when feeling low. No one can work continuously or with the same energy levels throughout the day. After working for a couple of hours, we start feeling low due to fall in our energy levels. Take a break of a couple of minutes and slowly drink a glass of water. As soon as the body gets rehydrated, energy levels increase in the body.
- Use water as a reward. Whenever we achieve our goals or meet our daily target, instead of going for a carbonated beverage or a plate of junk food, reach for the glass of water. Give a pat on the shoulder while drinking it and rewarding oneself for the achievement.
Alternate ways to improve hydrationDo not like the taste of plain water. Does anyone feel that water is boring? There are plenty of tips to improve the taste and up the intake of water.
- Add some flavour to the water by adding a piece of fruit or vegetable to the bottle containing water. Fruits such as lemon, orange, berries, vegetables such as cucumber enhance the taste of the water. Add some herb to it and make it tastier. Herbs such as basil, mint leaves are excellent ways to make water palatable and at the same time offer many health benefits.
- There are plenty of fruits and vegetables which are rich in water content. Increase their intake in daily diet. It is one of the easiest ways of increasing water intake daily. Some of them are watermelon, cucumber, tomato and lettuce. Add them to every meal or grab a piece whenever hungry.
- Extract juices of water-rich fruits and vegetables or prepare a smoothie. Kick start the day by drinking a glass in the breakfast. Not only is it nutritious but also an effective way to rehydrate the body. Sugarcane juice, coconut water also offers the same benefit.
- When trying to increase the water intake, avoid alcohol as it has dehydrating effects on the body. However, still going for it then the best way to party is to add more water to the drink. Not only will it prevent hangover but also increase the water intake in the body. After every glass of cocktail, drink a glass of water.
- Increase the intake of herbal teas. If it is summers, add ice to it and if it is colder months, sip a cup of warm tea now and then. These herbal teas not only increase the water intake but herbs present in them benefit health in many ways. We all know how excellent green tea is for health.
- Some of us like ice-cold water. Others enjoy sipping warm water as they like the way it tastes. The point is to know our liking and increase the intake as per our liking. If we enjoy the taste of ice-cold water, we should plan and deep freeze our water bottles overnight and drink it the next day. We can also add ice cubes to our water or other drinks.
ConclusionDrinking enough water throughout the day may seem a difficult task to many. However, it isn't that difficult when tried. Plain water can be made palatable. Add a piece of favourite fruit, vegetable or herb to it. Instead, one can also choose to extract juice out of their favourite water-rich foods or prepare smoothies from them, or simply eat the water in the form of salad. There are various ways to remember to drink more water and fulfil the body's daily requirement. All we need to do is to prepare a proper routine and stick to it. Simple hydrating tips followed throughout the day help us to keep our body well hydrated all the time.