Top 10 Government Medical Colleges in Tamil Nadu
Are you searching for the best government medical colleges in Tamil Nadu? Do you have a good NEET Score and wish to study M.B.B.S from the best medical college in Tamil Nadu? Here is a list of top Government Medical Colleges in Tamil Nadu affiliated to the Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University.
Tamil Nadu has a lot of reputed government and private medical colleges. The medical aspirants must appear for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET), a common entrance exam conducted at the national level to get M.B.B.S admissions in India. The medical colleges in Tamil Nadu offer only limited seats for M.B.B.S course and only those who have good NEET score will get admission in the top medical colleges in Tamil Nadu based on the reservation norms of the Government. Competition is high for M.B.B.S admissions, so the aspirants can join any top NEET coaching centres which guide the students to crack the exam at the first attempt.
If you have cleared the NEET exam with a good score, then in Tamil Nadu, you can prefer to join a Government Medical college when compared to a private medical college because the medical colleges managed by the Tamil Nadu government have good infrastructure and medical facilities and offer high-quality medical education at nominal fees. All the government medical colleges in Tamil Nadu are affiliated to the Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University and it works in association with a government hospital. The government medical colleges have experienced doctors as faculty members and have well-equipped laboratories, well-stocked library, and multidisciplinary research units. Here is a list of top 10 government medical colleges in Tamil Nadu.
1. Madras Medical CollegeMadras Medical College popularly called as MMC is one of the oldest educational institutions in Tamil Nadu which is offering medical education since 1835 and is considered as the best medical college in Tamil Nadu as well as in India. Other than M.B.B.S, the college also offers B.P.T, Nursing, Pharmacy, M.S, M.D, postgraduate diploma and postgraduate super-speciality courses in medicine. MMC has separate departments for Clinical, Pre Clinical, Para Clinical, and Super Specialty to manage the academic activities related to each specialized medical course. The college works as per the norms of the Medical Council of India(MCI). The meritorious M.B.B.S students of MMC can get benefits from many scholarships like Free Education Scholarship, CM Fund Scholarship, National merit scholarship, BSNL Scholarship, DBT Scholarship, etc. The Total number of seats allotted for the MBBS course at MMC is 250, out of which 213 seats are for state quota and 37 seats are for All India quota. Under the special category, MMC also admits the students with benchmark disabilities.
Address: Periyar EVR High Road, Park Town, Chennai -3.
Phone: 044-25305112, 25305301
2. Stanley Medical CollegeNext to MMC, Stanley Medical College (SMC) is another oldest educational institution in Chennai which was established in the year 1938. It is also a premier medical college in Tamil Nadu which has created many talented doctors and leading medical specialists in the country. SMC offers UG, PG, PG Diploma, and PG Super Specialty courses in medicine along with paramedical courses. Superspecialty, Clinical, Pre Clinical, Para Clinical departments of SMC handles the academic activities by offering various medical courses on general medicine, orthopaedic surgery, paediatrics, radiology, cardiology, plastic surgery, neurology, nephrology, urology, ophthalmology, etc. The college offers excellent medical education and is also conducting research on various medical specialities. The sanctioned strength for MBBS admissions in SMC is 250, out of which 38 seats are allotted for All India quota, and the remaining 212 seats are for state quota.
Address: No.1, Old Jail Road, Chennai-600 001
Phone: 044-25280900, 044-25280444
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
3. Madurai Medical CollegeMadurai Medical College was established in the year 1954 and is one of the popular medical colleges in the Temple city. The research units of the college are involved in the research in non-communicable diseases and various other need-based researches. Madurai medical college has special departments for diabetology, psychiatry, dermatology, forensic medicine, thoracic medicine, community medicine, gynecology, etc to handle the academic activities on various medical specialties. The medical college and hospital provide good hospital service to rural areas. For the meritorious SC, ST, BC and MBC students, Madurai medical college offers various education scholarships. The total medical seats allotted by MCI at Madurai Medical College are 250, out of which 15% is for All India quota and remaining seats are for state quota.
Address: Collector Office Road Near, Alwarpuram, Madurai, Tamil Nadu 625020
Phone: + 91 452 2532535; + 91 452 2532536; + 91 452 2532537 to 42
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
4. Government Kilpauk Medical CollegeKilpauk Medical College(KMC) have started to offer M.B.B.S course in the year 1960. It is a well-known college in Tamil Nadu for medical education. The college campus holds a lot of heritage value and it gives a good learning environment for the students. KMC offers M.B.B.S, M.D., M.S, D.M. M.Ch courses in medicine along with P.G Diploma courses on Child Health, Anaesthesia, Oto-RhinoLaryngology, Obstetrics & Gynaecology and Orthopaedics. The clinical and pre-clinical departments in KMC focus on the academic activities along with the medical services in the community. For M.B.B.S admissions, the sanctioned strength is 150, out of which a majority of 127 seats are for state quota and 23 seats are for All India quota.
Address: 822, Poonamallee High Rd, Near Ega Theatre, Kilpauk, Chennai - 600010
Phone: 044 – 26412979; 044 – 26431927; 044-28364949; 044-26431927
5. Tirunelveli Medical CollegeTirunelveli Medical College(TVMC) was established in the year 1965. It is a premier medical college in South Tamil Nadu which is providing its education service for more than 50 years. The college is recognized by the Medical Council of India and is involved in academic and research activities in the field of medicine. TVMC offers graduate medical studies, PG Residency courses, D.M and M.Ch courses, Diploma in Nursing & Midwifery and various graduate, diploma and certificate courses in Applied Health Sciences. The multidisciplinary research units at TVMC are involved in a lot of research activities in medicine. TVMC is one of the few medical colleges in India that has an intramural research program for undergraduate medical students. It is a Short Term Student Research Program (STSRP) where the students will do research projects under the guidance of various medical departments in the college. TVMC has many clubs and associations through which the interested students can showcase their special talent and extra-curricular skills beyond the regular academics. The college also offers merit scholarships for the first graduate students. For M.B.B.S admissions at TVMC, the MCI has allotted a total of 250 vacant seats (15 % for All India quota and 85% for State quota). Under special category, the vacant medical seats at TVMC are also available for an eminent sportsperson, children of ex-servicemen, and persons with disabilities.
Address: 3, High Ground Rd, Palayamkottai, Tirunelveli, 627011
Phone: 0462-2572733, 2572612, 2579785
6. Thanjavur Medical CollegeThanjavur Medical College was established in the year 1959. It is one of the popular medical colleges in the delta region of Tamil Nadu. The college offers M.B.B.S, M.D, M.S, P.G Diploma, M.Ch and various Paramedical courses. To manage the medical courses and to host the medical services, the college has separate medical departments for each speciality in medicine. For the educational benefits, the college also encourages the M.B.B.S students to apply for various merit scholarships like the Indian Oil Corporation Scholarship, CBSE Scholarship, and National Talent search scheme Scholarship, etc. Out of 150 medical seats, 128 medical seats are sanctioned for state quota and 27 seats are for All India Quota. From the total, 7 seats are allotted for students with benchmark disabilities.
Address: Thanjavur Medical College, Thanjavur - 613 004
Phone: 04362 240822; 04362 240022
7. Coimbatore Medical CollegeCoimbatore Medical College was established in the year 1966 and is one of the popular medical colleges in Tamil Nadu. The college has clinical, pre-clinical and para-clinical departments and offers M.B.B.S, M.D, M.S, M.Ch and DM courses. The College has eminent faculty members, quality infrastructure, and necessary clinical materials. Coimbatore medical college is one of the premier medical colleges in the Western Tamil Nadu which offers quality education and good health care service in and around the region. The college encourages the students to participate in various academic activities like paper presentation, poster presentation, quiz, awareness programs, community programs, etc. along with non-academic activities and sports. Nearly 12 merit scholarships are available in the college for M.B.B.S students. The intake of students for the M.B.B.S course is 150 including 15 % All India quota and 85% State quota.
Address: Avinashi Rd, Peelamedu, Civil Aerodrome Post, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu 641018
Phone: 0422 2574375; 0422 2574376
8. Chengalpattu Medical CollegeChengalpattu Medical College was started in the year 1965. It offers various undergraduate, postgraduate and postgraduate speciality medical courses under the clinical and non-clinical departments. The college also offers paramedical courses and Diploma in General Nursing & Midwifery course. Chengalpattu medical college is not only known for academics but also for non-academic events. The college has a student council and it conducts many academic and non-academic events. Chengalpattu Academic and Research Meet is one of the famous inter-college symposiums for academic events. It is noted that some faculty members of Chengalpattu Medical College had received the Best Doctor Award from Health and Family Welfare Department. The total number of vacant medical seats for each academic year is 100, out of which 85 seats are for Tamil Nadu quota and 15 seats are for All India quota including the special category for persons with disabilities and children of ex-servicemen.
Address: G.S.T. Road, Chengalpattu, Dist. Kancheepuram - 603001 (Tamilnadu)
Phone: 044 - 27431225, 044-27426566; 044- 27431287
9. Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College, SalemGovernment Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College popularly called as GMKMC or Salem Medical College was established in the year 1986. It is a premier medical college in the steel city and it offers both UG and PG medical courses under the clinical and non-clinical departments. For the benefits of the students, various merit scholarships are available in the college for SC, ST, BC, and MBC students. The research units of the college conduct research on various medical topics. Along with academics, the students of Salem Medical College are allowed to participate in the various club activities like NSS, Blood donation camps, Sports, etc. As per the norms of MCI, the total number of seats allotted for M.B.B.S admissions at Salem medical college is 100. Out of 100, 15 seats are for All India quota and 85 seats are for state quota.
Address: Salem Steel Plant Road Salem - 636030
Phone: 0427- 2383313
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
10. KAP Viswanatham Government Medical College, Trichy KAP Viswanatham Government Medical College was started in the year 1997. The college offers M.B.B.S, PG courses in medicine, Paramedical courses, and nursing. To extend the academic activities and essential health care service, the college has many speciality departments along with the clinical and non-clinical departments. The college has experienced faculty members and good medical facilities. In college, many merit scholarships are available for both Paramedical and M.B.B.S students who fall under various categories. The college also conducts various scholastic and co-scholastic activities. Symposiums, Workshops, Guest Lectures by experienced Doctors, and many more academic events are periodically organized in the college. Trichy is one of the leading cities in Tamil Nadu and KAP Viswanatham Government Medical College is a reputed Government medical college which is providing excellent medical education in the zone for more than 20 years. The total intake of students for M.B.B.S admission is 150 including the Tamil Nadu state and All-India quota.
Address: Periyamilaguparai, Colletor's office Road, Trichy- 620001
Phone: 0431 - 2401011
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Note: All the above mentioned medical college admits students as per the admission and reservation norms of government and Medical Council of India. The vacancy of seats is tentative and may change. For M.B.B.S admissions in Tamil Nadu for a particular academic year, candidates have to submit the online application for the M.B.B.S course on the website of the Tamil Nadu Health Department. Candidates will be shortlisted based on their NEET score and will be called to attend Tamil Nadu M.B.B.S counselling.
Nearly 23 medical colleges are managed by the Tamil Nadu government. IRT Perundurai Medical College, a popular self-financing medical college in Erode is recently converted into a government medical college and out of 100 seats, 30 seats will be allotted for the wards of I.R.T. employees of the State Transport Corporation and Institute of Road Transport Corporation members who are contributing to the Corpus Fund. Other premier government medical colleges in the state include Thoothukudi Medical College, Kanniyakumari Medical College and Theni Medical College.