Top 5 Government Law Colleges in Tamil Nadu
Do you want to start your career in Law? Are you searching for the best law colleges in Tamil Nadu? Here is a list of top government law colleges in Tamil Nadu affiliated to The Tamil Nadu Dr.Ambedkar Law University.
The scope for legal practice is high in India and there are many colleges in India that offer quality education on law courses. To become a successful person in the field of law, law aspirants can prefer to study in the state of Tamil Nadu as it has a lot of government and private law colleges. Tamil Nadu is a perfect educational destination that is famous not only for engineering and medical courses but also for legal education. In Tamil Nadu, the government law colleges always hold a reputed position when compared to private law colleges. Mentioned below is the list of best government law colleges in Tamil Nadu.
The Tamil Nadu Dr.Ambedkar Law UniversityThe Tamil Nadu Dr.Ambedkar Law University(TNDALU) is one of the popular law universities in India. The University was established in the year 1997 and is managed by the Directorate of legal studies, Government of Tamil Nadu. TNDALU offers legal education through the university and its affiliated colleges in Tamil Nadu. Along with UG and PG courses in law, the university also has a research centre which offers Ph.D. in Law and conducts various research programs in the diverse areas of law. The TNDALU has good facilities, research centres, library, and experienced faculty members to provide legal education. The school of excellence in law of TNDALU offers honourable degree courses in law and admits Indian nationals as well as NRI candidates based on the eligibility criteria and the government reservation norms for law admissions. The university offers many education scholarships for law students. To develop the skills of advocacy, the university conducts various events, competitions, moot court sessions and also encourages the students to participate in the personality development programs.
Address: 5, Dr. D.G.S. Dinakaran Salai, Chennai 600 028.
Phone: 044-24641212; 044-24641919
Address: M.G.R. Salai, Near Taramani [ MRTS ] Railway Station, Perungudi, Chennai - 600 113.
The Tamil Nadu Dr. Ambedkar Law University is one of the top law universities in India which is well-known for legal education. Candidates who wish to study law in Tamil Nadu can prefer to join TNDALU or any of its affiliated colleges. Nearly 10 government law colleges in Tamil Nadu are affiliated to TNDALU. In India, to get admissions into the law courses, generally, a good score in Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) will be required. But to get admissions at TNDALU and its affiliated government law colleges, a good academic score in the higher secondary examination or any other equivalent exam conducted by a recognized education board is enough. Mentioned below is the list of top government law colleges in Tamil Nadu that are affiliated to TNDALU.
1. Dr. Ambedkar Government Law College, ChennaiDr. Ambedkar Government law college popularly called as Madras Law college or Government Law College(GLC), Chennai was established in the year 1891. It is one of the prestigious law colleges in South India which has a notable alumni list including top lawyers and judges of High court and Supreme Court of India. It which initially established under the University of Madaras and was later affiliated to the TNDALU. GLC functions as per the rules and regulations of the Bar Council of India. The college was previously located inside the campus of High Court and is now moved to two different campuses in the outskirts of Chennai-Pudupakkam and Pattaraiperumpudhur. Pudupakkam campus offers 5-year law courses and Pattaraiperumpudhur campus offers 3-year law courses. The college campus has good infrastructure and facilities including smart classrooms, a model court, a hi-tech library, hostel, wi-fi facilities, etc. For the education benefits of the meritorious students, the college offers various endowments and scholarships.
Address: Pattaraiperumpudur, Tiruvallur – 631210
Phone: 044 25340907
Address: Pudupakkam, Tiruporur Taluk, Chengalpattu – 603103
2. Government Law College, MaduraiGovernment Law College, Madurai was started in the year 1974. It was initially affiliated to Madurai Kamaraj University and was later affiliated to the TNDALU in the year 1997. Madurai Law College is considered as one of the best law colleges in South Tamil Nadu. The college is located in the vicinity of Madurai Bench of Madras High Court. To groom the students, the college conducts special training sessions regarding the operations of the court by the practicing members of the bar council and guest sessions by the honourable judges of the Court. The advocacy skills of the students are fine-tuned through moot court sessions. Also, to develop the interest of the students in the public affairs and mould them into eminent lawyers, the college involves the students in various academic activities, events, sports, NSS and other social awareness programs.
Address: Dr. S V K S Thangaraj Salai Road, Tallakulam, Madurai 625020.
3. Government Law College, CoimbatoreThe Government Law College, Coimbatore was established in the year 1979 to provide legal education in the western Tamil Nadu. The college is recognized by the Government of Tamil Nadu and is affiliated to the TNDALU. To shape the academic and non-academic skills of the law graduates, the college has various clubs like the Moot court club, Legal Intellectual Club, Sports club, and Cultural Committee. The college campus is located at the foothills of the western ghats and has dedicated faculty members, a pleasant learning environment, good infrastructure, and hostel facilities. The college conducts classes for each law course as per the syllabus prescribed by the Directorate of Legal Studies, Tamil Nadu. Along with professional legal education, the college also provides a platform for the students to participate in sports, NSS, YRC, and other inter-college events and competitions.
Address: Maruthamalai Main Road, Bharathiyar University Post, Coimbatore – 641046.
4. Government Law College, TrichyGovernment Law College, Trichy was started in the year 1979. It is one of the premier law colleges in central Tamil Nadu. The college is approved by the Bar Council of India and is affiliated to the TNDALU. To provide a good learning environment to the students, the college campus has a separate administrative, students and academic block with good infrastructure and facilities including a computer lab with internet connectivity, law library with a wide collection of legal books, magazines and journals, classrooms with LCD projector, seminar hall, moot court hall, canteen, auditorium, playground, hostel with mess facility, etc. Dedicated and well-experienced faculty members of the college provide legal education and conduct various activities to develop the thinking capability of the students with respect to the critical legal issues. The academic syllabus of the courses offered at the college is administered by the Directorate of Legal Studies of the Tamil Nadu Government. Trichy Law College organizes various national level seminars and academic events. The college also allows the students to participate in the state as well as national level competitions and events.
Address: Racecourse Road, Khajamali, Trichy -620023
Phone: 0431 -2420324
5. Government Law College, TirunelveliGovernment Law College, Tirunelveli was established in the year 1996. It is also one of the reputed law colleges in South Tamil Nadu, next to Madurai Law College. The college is affiliated to the TNDALU and offers courses as per the syllabus of the Tamil Nadu Directorate of Legal Studies. The college campus is located adjacent to the Tirunelveli District Court and has good infrastructure and facilities required to offer legal education. Tirunelveli Law College caters to the educational needs of the law aspirants residing in the southern areas of Tamil Nadu which includes Kanniyakumari, Tuticorin, Tenkasi, and Virudhunagar. The college offers courses as directed by the Bar Council of India. To conduct seminars and lectures, the college has well-equipped classrooms and seminar halls. To motivate and prepare the students for legal practice, the Tirunelveli law college has dedicated law teachers with high experience. To enhance legal education, the college has a well-stocked library, debating club, moot club, and a current affairs club. Also, apart from regular professional education, the college has vibrant clubs for sports, NSS, and YRC.
Address: Tiruchendur Main Road, Tirunelveli – 627011
Phone: 0462 – 2578382
Note: To apply for admissions at TNDALU and its affiliated government law colleges, candidates must visit the admission column of the official website of TNDALU and follow the admissions guidelines and procedures as mentioned in the official admission notification released by the university for a particular academic year.
Also Read: Top 10 Government Medical Colleges in Tamil Nadu
With the advancement in business and industries and the continuous war between the big business entities to capture the business and sometimes also acquire the other company/companies, which are listed ones in the market having their shares allotted to the common public as well as big investors, the need of legal advisors was always felt in resolving the legal complications behind the takeovers, mergers and many company-related legal matters and affairs. In this scenario, it makes sense for the interested students to go for a good legal course and then start consulting or working for a company and associating in day to day legal matters. A good lawyer is an asset to a company as he can advise and help in any such project where the company wants to make progress but there are some legal and statutory compulsions which require to be resolved beforehand before going further in the expansion or progressive plans of the company. Due to the common business interests, there are at times many conflicts generated between the companies themselves as well as between the Govt authorities and the company and in such times the work of the legal executive of the company becomes much important and critical. In essence, we can conclude that making the law stream as a career option is a good step in the present scenario.
The author has given a good eye view of some Law colleges in Tamil Nadu and it would be helpful for the students thinking to make a career in legal work.