IntroductionGetting an internship provides experience and also gives an advantage while applying for a job. Hands-on-experience and field visits and work under the guidance of a supervisor also boost confidence, which will be very helpful to prepare them for a future job. To get the right internship is not an easy task. As environmental science is an interdisciplinary subject and x lots of scopes are available there. Various organisations including government, non-government organisation offer internship for these students. Sometimes they also offer a stipend for the internship. Candidates can avail these opportunities and build their professional network. Here in this article details of top five NGOs, offering internship to the candidate interested to work in the fled of environment, are given.
1. GreenpeaceGreenpeace is a non-governmental environmental organization which was established in 1971 by Irving Stowe and Dorothy Stowe, Canadian and US ex-pat environmental activists. Now it is working at a global level, having its offices in more than 55 countries. Greenpeace has its headquarter in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Internship OpportunitiesGreenpeace India provides opportunities for students who wish to join Greenpeace and are interested in different works like research, field data survey, event planning, online and public engagement etc. Talented and highly motivated students from top educational institutions are taken in for the internship.
Objectives of the Internship: The main objectives of the internship are to develop the research skills of students especially in environmental protection and policy, to provide them hands-on experience, to introduce them about the Greenpeace India local initiatives, to engage the students and use their skills in environmental protection and conservation.
Locations for Internship: Greenpeace provides internship at four different locations in India i.e. in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Patna.
Eligibility criteria To be eligible, the candidates who wish to apply for the internship program must satisfy the following criteria:
How to ApplyInterested and eligible candidates who want to join the internship at Greenpeace India must visit the website of Greenpeace and check the availability and number of internship in the "Current Vacancies Section". The candidates must apply by filling the open application on the website form and must mention the motivation to join the Greenpeace. An application form must be submitted at least two months in advance from the start of the internship.
Duration of Internship: Internship duration must be from a minimum of 45 days to a maximum of 3 months. The candidates who wish to join for less than 45 days or more than 3 months internship will not be considered.
Contact DetailsGreenpeace India
#173, 9th Cross, 1st Stage,
Indira Nagar, Bengaluru–560038
Phone: 080 22131899
Helpline No.: 1800 425 0374 (Open from Monday to Friday, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm)
Application form: https://www.greenpeace.org/india/en/internships/
2. Centre for Science and EnvironmentCentre for Science and Environment, a New Delhi based not-for-profit organisation, was established in 1980. It works on various environment-related issues like climate change, poor planning etc. and provides sustainable solutions. It is also engaged in education and training through environmental education programmes.
Internship OpportunitiesInternships at CSE are available, and students from all over the world can join the internship. Besides, need-based and time-bound special internship programmes are also announced at CSE.
Who can join?
Benefits to the Interns
How to Apply
Selection ProcessIf the applicant is found suitable and matched with the requirement of any available project, then he/she is informed through an email. If the candidate agrees to work on the project he/she must send an acceptance letter from the institution. Only after the receiving of acceptance letter from the institution, a confirmation letter will be sent to the candidate or institute.
Post confirmation of InternshipAfter confirmation of internship, CSE will make all the arrangements for work, travel and stay in New Delhi, but all the expenses of travel, boarding and lodging are to be borne by the candidate.
Assignments at CSEThere are two types of assignments available at CSE, i.e. research-based and non-research-based. Research-based assignments include research based on the information available in the public domain. CSE mainly focus and addresses environmental issues like various pollution, climate change and environmental education. Candidates are free to select any of these areas for their internship. In non-research based assignments include marketing, human resources, library and website, etc. In these assignments, the candidates are assigned an individual responsibility and do work under the guidance of a supervisor.
Submission of ReportUpon completion, the interns are required to prepare and submit a dissertation report to the supervisor and also make a presentation of the work done.
Contact DetailsCentre for Science and Environment
41, Tughlakabad Institutional Area New Delhi-110062, India
Phone: (91) (11) 40616000, 29955124, 29956110, 29956394, 29956399
Fax: (91) (11) 29955879
In case of further queries, please contact Ms Priyanka Dutt at email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Internship Page: https://www.cseindia.org/internship-at-cse-1392
3. WWF-IndiaWWF-India, a scientific organisation, was founded in 1969 as a charitable trust. It was renamed from World Wildlife Fund to Worldwide Fund for Nature India in 1987. The organisation work mainly on Climate change, species conservation and environmental education and save the earth's natural environment. The organisation is working with the government organisation, non-government organisation, schools, colleges, universities, institutes, industries, corporate, and individuals, etc.
Internship Opportunities at WWF-IndiaThrough its internship programme, WWF-India engages non-WWF India students/people in their national/ global conservation projects.
Duration of internship
Note: In any candidate wish to join an internship for less than 30 days, he/she can apply under the volunteer programme at WWF-India.
Benefits to the Interns
How to Apply
Report Submission: At the end of the internship, the interns will be required to prepare and submit their work and data in the form of presentation, report, and paper, etc.
Feedback: Upon completion of the internship, interns will also be required to share their internship experience.
172 B, Lodhi Estate,
New Delhi- 110003
Tel: +91 11 4150 4815
Official Webpage: https://www.wwfindia.org/who_we_are/internship_at_wwf_india/
Application form: https://wwfin.awsassets.panda.org/downloads/internship_application_form_1.docx
4. Centre for Environment & Education, IndiaTo promote environmental awareness countrywide, Centre for Environment Education (CEE) was developed by the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India in 1984. The main work of CEE is to develop innovative programmes and educational material which can be used for capacity building mainly in Education for Sustainable Development (ESD). CEE runs its programmes with local, state and central government or agencies. Besides, it also works on an international level with international governments, agencies, and organisations. CEE is engaged to provide Environmental Education for Sustainable development for future, biodiversity conservation, marine conservation and rural and urban development. CEE has worked on several international projects like UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (DESD–with UNESCO); Global Environmental Facility–Small Grants Programme (GEF-SGP–with UNDP); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Programmes (with UNICEF); and many others.
a) Internship at CEE AhmadabadName of Internship: Intensive Internship and Training in Research and Writing for Conservation Education programmes and Communication for Sustainable Development.
Duration of the Internship: There are several internships available whose tenure will be from 2 months to 1-year long. The internships are full-time or part-time.
Location: CEE Ahmadabad
The benefits to the Interns
Nature of Work: During internships, the interns will have to carry out initial research, writing and data compilation from authentic sources.
b) Internship at Kolkata and Ranchi CentresEducational Qualifications:
Desirable: Knowledge of English and Bangla
Benefits to the Interns: An internship completion certificate will be issued to the interns upon completion of the internship.
Stipend: The interns will be paid a nominal stipend of Rs 5,000/- monthly.
Period of Internship: 3 months
Nature of Work:
How to ApplyThe candidates must visit the official website of CEE and read the instructions carefully. The application must be filled online (online application form available at the website).
Nehru Foundation for Development,
Sargam Marg, Thaltej Tekra,
Ahmadabad Gujarat 380054
Phone: 91-79-26844700, 91-79-26858010
Advertisement of Internship:
5. Paryavaran MitraThe Paryavaran Mitra, in Gujarat, is an autonomous organisation came into existence in 1997. It 1997, it was an Enviro Legal cell of Centre for Social Justice (CSJ)–Janvikas in 1997. Later in 2001, it became "Paryavaran Mitra" and continued to be part of Janvikas through governance and finance. The organisation was formed to fulfil the need for an organisation which can systematically work on environment-related legal, social and human rights issues.
The main aim behind the formulation of Paryavaran Mitra was to build a network of local organizations working for the environment. And to create environmental awareness, monitoring mechanisms were also set up for the review of the various developmental activities that are damaging the environment and violating environmental laws.
Internship OpportunitiesAt Paryavaran Mitra students will gain practical experience, hands-on experience of research, and training. They will get the chance to enhance their theoretical and practical knowledge of the environment. Paryavaran Mitra is providing internships from many years to the students around the globe. The focus is on the students from the disciplines of environmental science, environmental engineering, law, journalism, social work, management, etc.
Benefits to the InternsDuring an internship at Paryavaran Mitra, students will get the following benefits:
Resource Benefit to the InternsInterns will get the following resources and facilities at Paryavaran Mitra:
Areas Covered in Internship
Who can join?
Duration of Internship:There are flexible working hours and duration of the internship. Candidates can join an internship at Paryavaran Mitra as per their convenience.
How to apply? Interested students must email their latest CV to the email ID: email@example.com. Also, they must send a college permission letter.
Contact DetailsParyavaran Mitra
502, Raj Avenue, Bhaikaka Nagar Road,
Thaltej Cross Roads,
More articles: Students