Internship opportunities for Chemical Engineering students in India
Are you a Chemical Engineering Student searching for internship opportunities in India? Do you wish to shape your career in the Chemical Engineering field? Read this article and get career guidance and details about the list of companies and institutes that offer internships for Chemical Engineering Students in India. Also, learn how to apply for the Chemical Engineering internships.
Do you wish to become a Chemical Engineer? Don't worry, you have a lot of career opportunities in the field of Chemical Engineering. To become a successful Chemical Engineer, a degree in Chemical Engineering is necessary. You can pursue either Diploma/B.E/ B.Tech degree in Chemical Engineering to start your career as a Chemical Engineer. The Chemical Engineering course mainly deals with the basics of Chemical process and technology. With the knowledge gained from the Chemical Engineering course, you can seek job opportunities in industries and chemical plants. The influence of Chemical Engineering and the usage of Chemicals is high in almost all fields. Products such as Lubricants, Fibres, Fertilizers, Gasoline, Medical Drugs, Paint, etc are being produced only with the techniques of Chemical Engineering. The scope and opportunities are wide in the field of Chemical Engineering.
Career Scope in Chemical Engineering If you are a Chemical Engineering graduate who is searching for Career opportunities in Chemical Engineering, then you have two options. You can either pursue your higher education in Chemical Engineering or you can apply for a job in Chemical industries/companies after your bachelor's degree. For research aspirants, higher education will be the best choice. They can complete their master's degree in Chemical Engineering and enter into the research field to obtain a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering. A lot of research institutes, research centers and universities in India are conducting research activities in Chemical Engineering. After the Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, research aspirants can join any Chemical research center and conduct research work, publish journals and perform the activities of a scientist.
The aspirants who desire to work in a Chemical company/industry, can search and apply for a job in the companies that hire Chemical Engineering students/graduates. Getting a job in the core field is not an easy task. One must have a good academic profile and knowledge of Chemical Engineering to get employment. Some colleges or universities arrange on-campus placement interviews with the top chemical companies through their placement cell. Chemical Engineering Students can utilize that opportunity to get an offer in the core companies. If not, you have to wait and apply for the companies through websites such as Naukri, LinkedIn, Quikr, etc. Be it on-campus or off-campus placements, a rich academic profile/resume is needed. The sections such as academics, mini-projects handled and internship experience in the resume are the key to open the employment door of the core companies.
To get job opportunities in top Chemical companies, you must have an internship experience. The internship experience will add value to your profile and will also help you to achieve your dream job at an easy go. So, how to get internships in Chemical Engineering? Mentioned below are the internship opportunities for Chemical Engineering Students in India.
How to apply for Chemical Engineering internships It is always advised to attend an internship training programme while you are pursuing your second or third year. In India, a lot of companies and research institutes offer internships for Chemical Engineering Students who are doing their Diploma, Bachelor's, Masters and Research degree. Both the research aspirants and job aspirants can attend an internship to add richness to their career profile. Some companies hire interns through the placement cell of the colleges. You can also apply for internships at the top organizations through their official website or with the help of a referral. The internship opportunities will also be listed at sites like Internshala, Monster India, etc.
While applying for an internship, you must prepare an impressive internship resume with necessary details like academics, area of interest, projects completed and the activities performed. You can do Chemical Engineering internships under the guidance of research scholars or professors at the Chemical Engineering department of the research institutes. While applying for internships at research institutes, you must submit your internship resume, a recommendation letter from the college/university you are studying and a written Statement of Purpose(SOP). You can search for internship vacancies at the official website of the research institutes and submit the internship application in the format prescribed by them.
It is not necessary that you need to attend an internship at institutes or research centers. Attending the internships at the research institutions will be helpful for those who enter into the research field. You can also attend the Chemical Engineering internships at Pharmaceutical companies, Chemical Plants, Petrochemical companies, Sugar Factories, Glass and Ceramic companies, Food industries, Paper Industries, Refineries, etc. If you attend the internships at manufacturing companies, you can understand the work environment, corporate work culture and management process of a company/industry. Also, most importantly you can learn the unit operations and unit processes of Plants and chemical equipment used in the industries.
Applying for an internship is purely your choice. Based on your area of interest you can apply for any Chemical Engineering internships. But don't just go by the brand name or popularity, understand the internship requirements of a company and check for the scope of the interns. The internship experience will give you an idea about the field and will also help you to decide your career. Within a shorter duration, you can learn a lot about the Chemical Engineering field. You can also apply for internships in the small-scale industry and gain internship experience depending upon your interest.
Always keep in mind, an impressive internship resume, SOP and good academic score will help you to land in internships at top companies. The competition will be very high because every organization will have only limited openings for internships. So, prepare an attractive internship resume, cover letter and SOP as per the internship requirements of the company you are applying.
Institutes that offer internships for Chemical EngineeringIn India, a lot of Institutes conduct summer and winter internship programmes for the Chemical Engineering Students. Some institutes provide a stipend and an internship completion certificate. Some institutes conduct internship programme with training fees. You can get a lot of benefits by attending the internships offered by the national institutes and research centers. Listed below are a few top research centers and institutes in India that offer internships for the students who are pursuing their Chemical Engineering degree
1. Indian Institute of Technology(IIT) The Indian Institute of Technology conducts the summer internship programme for the Chemical Engineering Students in various areas such as Nanotechnology, Pharmaceutical processing, Biomedical Engineering and Biomolecular Engineering, Polymers, etc. Students who are studying their 3rd year of B.E/B.Tech and 1st year of M.E/M.Tech in Chemical Engineering can apply. To apply for IIT internships, candidates must have a high CGPA. You can go through the official website of IITs that are operating at different locations across India and apply to their Chemical Engineering Internships after reading their eligibility requirements. Learn about the significant key features and types of IIT internships.
2. Indian Institute of Science and Technology(IISc), Bangalore Next to IIT, IISc is one of the best institutions in India for Chemical Engineering internships. Every year, the Chemical Engineering department of IISc conducts a 2-month summer internship programme for the undergraduate and postgraduate Chemical Engineering students in the month of May and June. On completion of the internship, the interns will be given a stipend of Rs 5,000 to 12,000 and an internship completion certificate. In this internship programme, you can work with the research scholars and learn the art of research in Chemical Engineering. Learn how to apply for internships at the IISc, Bangalore.
3. National Institute of Technology(NIT) The National Institute of Technology located in Trichy, Warangal, Surathkal, Rourkela also offers the summer internship programme for the undergraduate Chemical Engineering Students. The duration of the internship programme will be a minimum of 5 weeks and a maximum of 8 weeks. If you are interested, you can visit the official website of NIT and apply for the internship programme if you satisfy the eligibility criteria of the institute.
4. CSIR - National Chemical Laboratory The National Chemical Laboratory(NCL) located at Pune conducts a student internship programme for Chemical Engineering Students. During the short internship period, the students will be involved in the research activities carried out at CSIR-NCL. The benefit of this training programme is that you will be allowed to access the research facilities of the institute and perform research activities under the supervision of a scientist in your area of interest in the Chemical Engineering field. The duration of the internship is 2 months. You can check the internship application procedures at the official website of CSIR-NCL, Pune.
5. CSIR - Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute The Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute(CMERI) conducts a summer internship programme for B.E/B.Tech Chemical Engineering Students who are pursuing their engineering degree in a recognized Indian Universities/Colleges. To apply for this internship, students should have completed their 6th semester with at least 7.5 CGPA. To attend this internship programme, the eligible interns who are selected by the institute will have to pay a training fee of Rs.5,000(Non-refundable). On completion of the internship, the CSIR-CMERI will provide an internship completion certificate to the interns. Learn how to apply for the CSIR-CMERI Summer Internship programme.
Government Internships for Chemical Engineering students Students who wish to gain learn about the functioning of government sectors can apply for the Chemical Engineering internships offered by the Government of India. Listed below are the Government Internships offered by the Ministries of India for the Chemical Engineering Students.
1. MoFPl Internship Scheme The Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) Internship Scheme is organized by the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, GOI for the undergraduate, postgraduate and research students of various educational disciplines including Chemical Engineering. In this internship programme, you can get knowledge of how the food processing industries in India works. The duration of the internship is a minimum of 6 weeks and a maximum of 3 months. On completion of the internship, the interns will be given a certificate by the Under Secretary Level Officers of the concerned subject division of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries. Learn how to apply for the MoFPI Internship Scheme.
2. MoEFCC Internship Scheme The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change(MoEFCC) offers the MoEFCC Internship Scheme for the UG and PG students of various environmental disciplines and engineering disciplines including Chemical Engineering. Every year, the Ministry conducts a Summer and Winter internship for a period of 3 months. A stipend amount of Rs.10,000/- will be paid to the interns on the successful completion of the internship programme along with an internship completion certificate. You can apply for the MoEFCC Internship Scheme if you wish to learn the functioning of MoEFCC and the regulatory and developmental policy issues.
Companies that offer internships for Chemical Engineering students Other than the research centers and educational institutes, a lot of companies also offer summer internship programmes for the Chemical Engineering Students. In India, many fertilizer industries, steel industries, paper industries, cement factories, petro-chemical companies, etc offer internship programmes. But the internship vacancies will be limited in these companies and you need to prepare more to get an internship offer at the top chemical companies. Here is a list of few companies that offer internships for Chemical Engineering Students.
To apply for the internships at the Chemical companies, you need to visit the official careers portal of the company. The companies will release the internship announcement, only if there are any requirements in their division/department. Some companies will offer internship training to the interested students by getting a training fee and some will conduct different rounds of interviews to hire the interns. The selection process of the companies for the internship programme will vary. So, check the internship announcement of a company/industry/institute and prepare yourself to get selected.
Chemical engineers are commonly called 'Universal Engineers' for having a lot of knowledge in the fields of engineering and chemistry. Their work mainly aims to convert natural and waste materials into useful and less harmful chemical products. Due to the excellent background of these people, they can work in various industries of both the private and public sectors.