How to change the Name or Surname or Correct the Spelling mistakes on Important Certificates

In this article, you will know how to update or correct the spelling mistakes on SSLC (10th) or PUC (12th) Marks card / Marksheet or Birth certificate or Educational certificates etc. What are the steps to be taken to correct the necessary documents to use it effectively in the future? Read this article for more detail.

If you have a question, like, how to change the Name in the 10th mark sheet, how to apply for Name correction in SSLC marks card and how to change Father's name in SSLC mark sheet or other documents etc. then read this article.

We sometimes ignore the spelling mistakes of our Full Name or Surname etc. on Birth Certificates or School Certificates or Government documents etc. to avoid skipping the current event or test or exam etc. that sometimes creates issues in the next documents, like, a Ration card, Voter ID or PAN and on.

Change of Name process

How to solve such issues? How to update the correct Name or spelling mistake on necessary certificates? What are the measures to be taken for 'Change of Name' on important certificates' that help us to make many other documents later like Voter ID or Aadhar or Bank account or PAN etc.? Read this article for more detail.

There are different scenarios on this. For example, few needs to change the 'one letter or character' from their Surname or First or Middle or Last Name missing on the Certificate which is not required at all for many cases and the next processing document like a Voter ID or Aadhar Card or PAN or Passport can be updated with the required one letter or character from the same old document furnishing it and by informing them to the concerned authority (by filling their application form) upon its process.

The next one is, in case, if you would like to change / update / delete the name or surname in School certificate like TC (Transfer Certificate) or Mark Sheet etc. then you could do it from the very same school or institute's certain authorities' help by requesting with a formal letter.

If the School or College is no more then the scenario differs. Yes, you can publish the "Change of Name" in two local newspapers (in English and regional language) and keep them for future reference.

Most of the cases (Name change or update) can be done from the local institution or authorized centre only.

  1. Birth Certificate: Visit the local Hospital or Corporation where you have registered the Name upon birth.
  2. School Certificate: Visit the local Institutes / Schools / State board you have appeared in the exams.
  3. Government Documents: Visit the local Corporation / Registered office where you got the Voter ID or Aadhar card to update the name.
  4. Service Center: There are few state or central centralized service centers available around in a city or town where one can update certain info (not School or College update) in just one place, for example, 'Bangalore One' is in Bangalore city where one can get helps for few documents update on State or Central Government.

Affidavit from Notary Public:

In case if it is not going well till these relentless steps, you can then try with an Affidavit from Notary Public for a name change or address change or another info update.

Name Change Adv in Local Newspaper:

If it is not sufficient, you can publish the 'Change of Name' in the local newspaper, keep the reference and it will be helpful shortly.

Gazetted office:

The next step is, approach the official Gazette of the state you reside in to submit these (above stated) documents for updating the name or other info. Once it is reviewed and approved, you can then reach your educational institution and show it to them about the new name process and verification.

Please note, there will be some expenses on this process for sure. You have to invest time, energy and money for it without fail. So, it is better to keep vigilant from the beginning itself to avoid all these processes. Also, the above-mentioned are the steps to be taken even for the Date of Birth mistakes, Father Name's spelling mistakes and on.

So, get consult in local (due to the procedure and process may slightly differ in few states or cities), and try with these steps to solve the issues and make your document perfectly to avoid unnecessary issues anytime in the future.

Article by Hafeezur Rahman
Hafeezur Rahman has joined ISC in 2009 and he is a Job Editor at ISC since 2010, he also a Blogger. Hafeez continue to contribute in various sections of ISC and its sister sites like Techulator, NewRecruitments & Goaspider etc. He is a renowned feature writer & social enthusiast. He loves to write in a simple manner and share his visionary write-ups with the readers on the topics related to his field of interests and different niche. All his write-ups have been popularly read & shared by global readers.

Follow Hafeezur Rahman or read 584 articles authored by Hafeezur Rahman


Author: DR.N.V. Srinivasa Rao13 Sep 2021 Member Level: Diamond   Points : 2

Yes. The procedure for getting the corrections in various certificated was given in this essay. As soon as we receive an important document we should go through the same and report the mistakes immediately so that the corrections are made without any delay. But if we do not notice the same immediately we may face problems later.
In my elder son's certificate of SSC, there was a space given where actually it is not required. As soon as the school had given the same to him, we noticed the error and handed over the certificate to the school. They got it corrected and gave us back in just 7 days.
I have seen many cases where the mistake is noticed only after some years and the time taken for correction process taken for such cases is more than 60 days.

Author: Umesh13 Sep 2021 Member Level: Diamond   Points : 5

Many students are facing the problem of correction in the name or change in the name or correction in the father's name or things like that in their certificates or mark sheets or birth certificate or any other such document. These documents are very important for the student because he has to show them everywhere whether it is for an interview or to take admission in a course for which document verification is done before giving the final admission. It is obvious that students should be very careful in these matters and whenever they go for registration in a new school or new college then they, as well as their parents, should take utmost care in writing the name, surname, date of birth, and other credentials correctly and cross-check them before submitting. If people use these precautions well in advance and do not do things in a hurried fashion then such errors will not crop up in these important documents.

Once an error is there then it becomes a great hassle and inconvenience for the student to run from pillar to post to get it rectified. Sometimes it can be corrected from the school or college or the related education board but nowadays institutions are refusing to correct old records and old documents and making one excuse or another. So the only recourse left with a student is to consult a lawyer and go for a legal affidavit and advertise in the local newspaper or go to the service centre for changing the credentials in the Aadhaar card or PAN card or any other such document which is not matching with the educational certificates.
Many times some institutions at the time of document verification do not even allow provisional admission to the student if a mismatch is found between his credentials. So one has to be very particular and cautious about these things.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha14 Sep 2021 Member Level: Diamond   Points : 2

As soon as the aspirants receive their SSLC or PUC certificate, they should be particular that the details incorporated therein is matching with the ones submitted to their school authorities. Sometimes the mistakes are minor in nature like differences in the surname either in the case of the aspirants or parents or both. If the documents are not checked in time, it would create problems at a later stage. During the process of document verification in the process of interview, this might surface and that would be too late to mend such issues. Hence the best recourse is to pay attention to the same and let the matter be routed through the headmaster/ principal so that they too can put up their remarks on the application. The earlier we take up the issues for the corrections, the better.

  • Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
  • No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
  • This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
  • Name: