Top 10 universities in India to study Anthropology courses
Searching for the top universities in India that offer Master's programs in Anthropology? Want to know if any Indian university provides a Ph.D. in Anthropology? Check out this article to know certain details of the universities including its courses, eligibility, selection process, contact information, etc.
Anthropology is one of the fastest-growing career fields in India. It is related to the study of human beings in various stages. Those who complete a course in Anthropology are eligible to get government/private/NGO jobs. They have high research scope in organizations such as the Anthropological Survey of India, Planning Commission, Commission for Scheduled Casts and Tribes, Tribal Research Department, WHO, UNESCO, and UNICEF. If you are interested in the teaching profession after doing a course in Anthropology, that is also easy as you will get that opportunity in various universities and colleges all over India. Apart from this, certain social service organizations and NGOs, publication institutions, corporate offices, Census of India, National Institute of Rural Development Hyderabad, Centre for Economics and Social Science, Institute of Linguistics and Culture Pondicherry, Folklore Research Centre Chennai all provides job opportunities for Anthropology candidates. I hope that from this small information itself, you have an idea about the scope of the Anthropology field. Now if you have taken a decision to take a course in Anthropology, let's check which are the top 10 universities of India that will help you to earn a dream job in Anthropology.
1. The University of MadrasThe Department of Anthropology under the School of Social Sciences, University of Madras was established in the year 1945. They offer courses like MA Anthropology and Ph.D. in Anthropology. Admission to the Ph.D. program offered by Chennai university takes place during two sessions in a year (June 1-30 and December 1-31).
University of Madras, Navalar Nagar, Chepauk, Triplicane, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600005, India
2. The University of HyderabadThe Department of Anthropology under the University of Hyderabad is one of the best departments in India. The department is recognized internationally for both teaching and research, which focuses on Social and Cultural Anthropology. The Department of Anthropology at HCU is the preferred place of study by both M.A. and Ph.D. scholars. In addition, the M.A program includes core courses in Physical Anthropology and Archaeological Anthropology with a component of field-based ethnographic research. This includes both shorter fieldwork trips in and around Hyderabad as well as a month-long fieldwork study for second-year M.A. students.
Head of the Department
Tel: +9140-23133050/ 3051
Email: email@example.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Andhra UniversityThe Department of Anthropology under Andhra University is one of the oldest in South India and was established in the year 1961 under the leadership of Dr N. Subba Reddy. The department is excellent in teaching and research in all fields of the discipline including Socio-cultural Anthropology, Biological Anthropology and Palaeo Anthropology. Initially, the Anthropology department offered a course in Social Anthropology specialization. Students for the four-semester postgraduate program in Anthropology are drawn from Arts and Science subjects admitted through a common entrance test held by the university. In the final semester, students will be exposed to a three-week field-work in tribal areas to provide them first-hand experience in data collection, analysis and report writing.
Andhra University South Campus, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh 530003, India
Email: email@example.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Karnataka universityThe Department of Anthropology under Karnataka University was established in 1958. This is considered to be one of the oldest departments of Anthropology in South India, and the first in the Karnataka State offering post-graduate education leading to Masters and Doctoral degrees in Anthropology.
Department of Studies in Anthropology
Karnatak University, Dharwad – 580 003
5. Delhi universityDo you know why Delhi university is the hub of quality education ?. Among the other universities mentioned here, Delhi University is also providing an excellent teaching and learning opportunity for those who are interested to study Anthropology.
Department of Anthropology, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
Tel: 27667329 / 27667725
6. The University of Mysore The Department of Studies in Anthropology under Mysore University was established in the year 1973 to impart training in Anthropology at the post-graduate level, a doctoral program and to promote Anthropological research in diverse areas. Department of Studies in Anthropology is at the heart of the university, one of its most important subjects. The department is cooperating with JSS Medical College, JSS Deemed University Mysore, Tribal Research Institute, Govt. of Karnataka, Museums of Anthropological Survey of India (ASI) and Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manava Sangrahalaya (IGRMS) to share their interests in redefining the study of culture, art and the origins of varied societies.
DOS in Anthropology,
7. Kurukshetra University HaryanaThe Kurukshetra University was established in 1956 as a unitary residential University. About 175 courses are offered on the university campus that is spread over 473 acres.
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Pin - 136119
Examination Enquiry: 01744-238169
Distance Education Enquiry: 01744-238518
8. Sri Venkateswara University AndhraThe Department of Anthropology under Sri Venkateswara University Andhra was started in the year 1971. They offer courses like
Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh 517502
9. Pondicherry universityThe Department of Anthropology under Pondicherry university was established in the year 1999. The Department provides facilities for intensive training and research in the areas of Socio-Cultural Anthropology, Physical Anthropology, Medical Anthropology and Visual Anthropology. The Department aims to train candidates who are oriented towards advanced research and training related to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Rural Studies and Urban Populations. Students of the Department find placement in Anthropological Survey of India, Social and Tribal Welfare departments and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs).
The university offers courses like-
R Venkat Raman Nagar, Kalapet
Pondicherry University- 605 014, India
Tel : 0413 - 2655179 Fax : 0413 - 2655734
10. Calcutta UniversityCalcutta University is one of the famous universities in India that was established around 1857. The Anthropology department came into being in 1921. Considered to be one of the oldest departments in Asia, many eminent scholars and illustrious people were part of this department. They provide the following courses in Anthropology-
Department of Anthropology, University College of Science, Technology and Agriculture, University of Calcutta, 35, Ballygunge Circular Road, Kolkata - 700019, West Bengal, India
ConclusionThis article provides you with some general information about the top universities in India that have excellent courses in Anthropology. You are requested to check the official websites mentioned here to know the latest updates on courses, number of seats and selection criteria. Try to start planning before the academic year start so that you won't miss any notification.