How to get an official Government-issued Transgender Certificate and ID Card online

Do you want to know how transgender persons can change their name and gender on a certificate or official document? Keen to avail of financial assistance for education or medical expenses for transgender persons? All this can be achieved by simply having a valid Government-issued transgender certificate and an identity card along with it at the same time through a simple online process. Details of this procedure and documents required to apply are provided in this informative article.


The Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt. of India offers special schemes for transgender persons, such as education scholarships from the secondary to the postgraduate level, special training programs to develop skills that would help to get employment, medical aid, and lodging facilities in special shelters. To apply for and avail of the benefits of these schemes, it is necessary to have a Transgender Certificate that has been issued by the Ministry. An ID card will also be issued. Further, the certificate will enable a transgender person to change the name and gender in all official documents.

Note that to apply for the certificate, it is not necessary that the transgender person should apply only from the home State. The application can be made from any State, but the transgender person must be a resident for a minimum of 12 months in that State before applying for the certificate.

How to apply for a Govt. Transgender Certificate

You are required to register and apply at the National Portal for Transgender persons. The registration and application procedure for both, the certificate and the ID card is the same, and no separate application is required for the ID card. There is no fee for the registration and application procedure.

You can refer to the FAQs on the official website for clarity, and useful guidance provide in text and video format to understand the application and registration procedure. In case you are still confused and require help to apply, visit the nearest office of the Social Welfare Department for further information and assistance in filling out the application form.

These documents will be required at the time of application-
  1. Proof of residential address, which can be any document having the residential address, such as an Election Voter's ID card, an Aadhar Card, a Ration Card, etc In case no residential proof is available, you can submit an affidavit declaration. (refer- Form 1)
  2. Photo identification
  3. Signature and/or thumb impression
  4. Affidavit format and/or a medical certificate (refer to Form 2)

For Form 1 and 2-,%202020.pdf

After application

The certificate and identity card will be issued by the District Collector/Magistrate within approximately 30 days from the date of application, and you can download and take printouts from the same official website. You do not have to go to the office of the District Collector/Magistrate.

Contact information

In case of any assistance with the application procedure, you can contact-
For Administrative queries: / Ph: 011-20893988.
For Technical queries: / Ph: 91-7923268299.

Additional useful information

You can attend offline and online workshops that are scheduled by the Ministry from time to time, details of which are available on Twitter, FB, and other official social media platforms as well as the official websites of-
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment:
The National Portal for Transgender persons:
The National Institute of Social Defence
Helpline number for Transgender persons: 8882133897.

Know also how to get a Disability Identity (UDID) Card

Article by Vandana
Vandana is based in India with over 15 years experience as a freelance writer. Writing, no doubt, is her primary passion! Having learned the art of blogging from ISC, Vandana is enjoying the thrills of blogging, taking pleasure in sharing information & getting good pageviews at her various blogs.

Follow Vandana or read 1838 articles authored by Vandana


No responses found. Be the first to comment...

  • Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
  • No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
  • This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
  • Name: