The Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarships 2009 For Doctoral Studies at St. John's College, University of Cambridge
This is a new Scholarship , launched in last year by St Johns College, the University of Cambridge in honour of Dr Manmonhan Singh, the Prime Minister of India, he is a graduate and Honorary Fellow of St Johns College. These Scholarships will enable academically outstanding Indian students to come to St. Johns College, University of Cambridge to study for doctoral degrees in subjects like Science & Technology, Economics and Social Sciences.
Applications in Aerospace Engineering and Energy Studies will be of particular interest
The deadline for submission is 31 December 2008
The applicant should be:
-An Indian national with a valid Indian passport and currently based in India
-Below 35 years of age as on 31 December 2008
-Not already had significant exposure to UK education or received UK government funding.
-Should hold a Masters (postgraduate) degree from a reputed/recognised India university/institution with a First Class award (UG and PG) in the relevant subject/field
-Evidence of leadership qualities (to be assessed from personal statements e.g. extracurricular activities and/or evidence of having made a difference to the country/society/participation in symposia in the relevant subject, or peer reviewed publication in the area.)
-Keen to pursue and should have identified a full time Doctoral Research degree from the University of Cambridge commencing by September/October 2009
-Fluent in spoken and written English
-Able to fulfil any other admission criteria laid down by the university.
Value of the Award
The scholarships are fully funded:
-Monthly stipend to cover living expenses
It is the responsibility of the applicants to identify a suitable Doctoral programme and supervisor at the University of Cambridge, apply for a place for September/October 2009 and secure admission.
1. Identify a suitable doctoral programme and supervisor at the University of Cambridge.
2. Applicants to visit the Board of Graduate Studies (BoGs) website and make formal application to the University at the same time as to the Dr Man Mohan Singh Scholarships.
3. Applicants to select St Johns College as their first choice College on their BoGs application form.
4. Applicants to indicate on their BoGs form that they are applying for the Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarships, but also to complete the section applying for funding from the University.
5. Apply for the Scholarship on the prescribed format by 31 December 2008 and submit it to the British Council. Click here to download the application form (Word) and (Pdf)
Candidates for these scholarships are selected through a process of short listing from the applications received by the British Council, followed by personal interviews, which will be held in New Delhi .
Short-listed candidates will be interviewed in New Delhi in April 2009
For further information and clarification please contact:
17, Kasturba Gandhi Marg
New Delhi 110001, India
Tel +91 (0)11 23711401 (extn. 272)
Fax +91 (0) 11 23710717
Direct tel: +91 (0)11 41497272
More articles: Scholarships
This would be a great scholarship for those interested in pursuing higher studies abroad namely in St Johns College, the University of Cambridge.
But the fact of the matter is that this year's is closed.
(Apply for the Scholarship on the prescribed format by 31 December 2008 and submit it to the British Council.)
Hope the information about next year's scholarship comes put earlier to enable all interested to apply.