Kamineni Institute of Medical Sciences, Narketpally Review
The Kamineni Institute of Medical Sciences (or KIMS as it is popularly known as) is the only medical college in Andhra Pradesh to be accredited with ‘A' by NAAC. The KIMS campus is literally an oasis in the arid topography of Nalgonda. The first thing which strikes you on entering the campus is the carefully landscaped greenery in striking contrast to the barreness all around.
Being located dot on NH9 it has very good connectivity by road from all directions. The nearest rail head for express trains is Nalgonda (26 km away) and for passenger trains is Chityal (10 km away). The nearest airport is Hyderabad (110 km away).
The academic calendar is meticulously planned and sincerely executed. All the arms of management and administration are geared towards delivering perfect teaching to the students. The hospital attached to the college has sufficient clinical material if not overwhelmingly so. The outreach programs of the college provide adequate exposure to the students to community issues and aspects of medicine. Even though the college is located in an erstwhile naxal area it enjoys the reputation of being one of the most secure colleges especially for female students. Well equipped laboratories, air conditioned class rooms and libraries add to the comfort of the students.
The college has a disciplined approach to sports and cultural activities. There are full fledged facilities for tennis, football, basketball, volleyball, cricket, table tennis, carom and chess. The college also has an advanced gymnasium with trained instructors.
The drawbacks to the college include:
1. Extreme heat especially from February to June.
2. Extremely high fluoride levels in water and other agricultural products.
3. The discipline enforced is many times stifling. In the zeal to enforce a strict regimen sometimes innocent students are needlessly punished.
4. The college is slow to take up innovations. Though in this matter I feel that the heart of the management is in the right place. It is inertial factors in the administration level which prevents it from moving fast.
5. Moral policing is very high. Though students detest it there are many parents who support it.
All in all if one prefers a low profile college life with the balance skewed towards academics, then Kamineni is the place to be. However if one believes in letting down ones hair from time to time it is better to avoid the college.