|Review By: Anamika Review Date: 06 Jan 2011 |
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee is among the highly known and respected engineering institutes of the country. It has been known for its prestigious history and the number of world class engineers it has delivered to the country. Established in the year 1847, the institute was converted into an IIT in the year 2001. Since its establishment, the institute has constantly striven for excellence in the academic field.
To get admission in Bachelor of technology (B.Tech) and Bachelor of architecture (B. Arch) as well as selected M.Sc(dual) degrees:
1. The student must have cleared class 12 certificate examination with Physics, Math and Chemistry with at least 60% aggregate score.
2. The student has to clear the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE).
3. To apply for B.Arch degree the student must additionally clear the aptitude test.
4. After getting selected, seats are alloted on the basis of choice and rank.
Fee per semester:
A student needs to pay approximately Rs 40,000 which includes tuition fee, hostel fee and mess charges.
Scholarships and awards:
1. Students having low family income are entitled for merit cum means scholarship on the basis of their performance.
2. Students of reserved category are entitled for financial aid by institute under various scholarships.
3. Various awards such as Presidents Gold medal etc are awarded to meritorious students.
The Institute is known all over the world for excellent education. All the faculty are chosen very carefully. The students are encouraged to think, question and innovate. Tutorial classes are held to ensure that doubts of students are very well clarified while practical classes ensure that students learn by observing and doing things rather than by merely studying the theory.
1. Campus: The institute boasts of a huge campus with beautiful scenaries and lush green gardens.
2. The main building is a fine example of architecture where beauty combines with functionality.
3. Central Library: The central library of institute is second best in the country with 90,000 sq.ft of fully air conditioned space having more than 3,50,000 documents in all media.
4. Departments: Each department is well facilitated with its own share of labs, class rooms and libraries.
5. Sports facilities: Sports complex is dedicated to the well being of residents. It has world class facilities for various sports like cricket, badminton, volley-ball, football, hockey, squash, swimming, table tennis and a lot more. The institute also has gymnasium for students.
6. Hostels: IIT Roorkee is fully residential institute with more than 10 hostels. There are separate hostels for girls and boys. Each hostel is as modern as it can be, with full wi-fi coverage, club, computer room and mess.
7. Places of worship: The institute has a beautiful saraswati temple, a mosque and a church in its premises.
8.Medical Facilities: The institute has institute hospital which takes care of all health related problems in campus.
- The institute has UG club which include seven Billiards & Snooker Tables, Carrom boards, Chess boards, Table Tennis facilities and a Foosball table.
- The institute also has a railway reservation counter.
- There are two banks in the campus, and a post office.
- There are various cafeterias which have long been serving students with delicious dishes.
How to reach Roorkee
Roorkee has best connectivity by rail to Delhi. It can also be reached via roadways. The nearest airport is Dehradun which is about 180 km away.
Read complete review
|Extra Curricular: |
Good: One of the premiere engineering institutes of the country, known worldwide
Bad: High number of courses per semester as compared to other IITs