Vienna an important city in the Europe and throughout the history. About 2000years ago it was first conquered by Celts and later it became one of the strongest fortresses of the Roman Empire on the eastern boundary. Vienna developed and grew into a stately and glittering city of Austria.
In the centre of the old Vienna one finds a beautiful Gothic Saint Stephen’s Cathedral. Some of the finest buildings along the boulevard are Rathaus the city hall, the university and the magnificent buildings. Three fourths of Austrians are Christians followed by Islam population. Austria is highly urbanised country and most people live in cities. Education in Austria
The education system in Austria is excellent and school is compulsory or all children between the ages of 6 and 14. It is compulsory for all children to attend the elementary school for 4 years. Students go to different kinds of secondary school. There are technical schools, trade schools and art schools for students who wish to take up non-academic careers. Austria provides higher education with state of art facilities and high quality of education. All the nine federal provinces offer higher education with rich academic traditional blend and growth for creativity and innovation. The institutions of Austria have contributed outstanding achievements in providing world class education on international platform. Austria emphasis on providing research based education at higher level of learningArt, Literature and Culture
The world’s greatest music was written by Austrian and hence Austria is called “ the land of music’. The famous Christmas carols-“Silent Night” was written on Christmas Eve, by Franz Gruber and Jospeh Mohr . Between 1730 and 1830 was the greatest period of Austria for its music . World famous Ludwig Van Beethoven German composer and pianist lived in Vienna most of his life until death. Vienna is world famous for Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra and is known for the Vienna State Opera and the Vienna Boys Choir. All over the world music lovers throng Vienna for the three music festivals that are held every year. The festivals are Salzburg, the Vienna drama and music festival and the Bregenz festival that is held in August. Austrians have made outstanding contributions to the world in the fields of sciences. Great scientists Alfred Adler, Sigmund Freud, Gregor Johann Mendel and Otto Rank are world famous for their research works in science. Eleven Austrian scientists have been awarded the Nobel Prize for their contributions to the modern science. The inventions made by Austrians have helped the world in the development of different fields with inventions as sewing machine, automobile, slow-motion cameras, typewriter and the screw propeller. Land and the Climate
Austria is double the size of the neighbouring country Switzerland, wedged between the seven countries. To the north is Czechoslovakia, to the South are Italy and Yugoslavia, to the west are the Federal Republic of Germany, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Hungary is to the east. There are five natural regions in Austria:
1. The Alps covers the two thirds of the nations. The highest mountains are in the central Alps with deep valleys lying between the mountain ranges. Alpine people live in these valleys.
2. Alpine Foreland lies between the Alps and the Danube River, this region consists of fertile land and valleys. The vegetables are grown in these regions and cattle graze.
3. Granite Uplands lies north of the Danube River, which are covered with forest-hills of granite
4. Vienna Basin is the heartland of Austria which consists of farm lands and is the centre of Austrian industry and Vienna is also located in the center of the Vienna basin.
5. Styrian Basin is the south of the Vienna Basin with fertile soil, grain crops and fruit crops are grown here.
Three climatic regions meet in Austria, the Atlantic or the marine west coast type of climate is found in Northern Austria. It has moist summers and mild rainy winters that are cool. Mediterranean climate type is found in Southern Austria with hot dry summers and mild rainy winters. Hot summers and cold winters of the continental climate are found in the Eastern Austria. The mountain climate has unusual feature called the foehn which eats up the snow from the ground. There are dangerous snow slides called the ‘White killers’ of the AlpsPolitics and Economy
Austria is made up of nine independent provinces Austria follows the democratic federal republic system, the President is the head of the state and is elected for a 6-year term. The President appoints the chancellor who recommends the ministers of the government. The Austria parliament is made up of National Council and the Federal council.
Austria’s forests provide the numerous valuable raw materials and supplies for producing the paper. The Alpine meadows provide the grazing areas for the cattle and the sheep. Austria is the largest producer of graphite, iron ore and world’s largest producer of magnesite. It also produces oil which is third –largest European producer. The most products produced by farming include the grains, potatoes, sugar beets, meat, milk butter and cheese. Most of the farming is done by the hand tools and machinery used is minimal. The leading industries in Austria are the textiles, oil refining, machinery, iron and steel and chemicals. Tourism forms an important economy for Austria as millions of tourists visit Austria every year. Transportation and Communication
Excellent electrical railroads and highways serve the transportation in Austria. The highways link all the parts of Austria and the Europe, airlines are connected to the outside world. The waterways of Danube forms important in Austria. The Government owns the communication system, there are many radio stations in the country and the telephone company offers special services. Each morning a new story is recited to the small children over the telephone. In 1957 the first television station was opened.
Why study in Austria
1. Being centrally located in Europe Austria is a popular and ideal destination for studying.
2. There are top class universities that offers varied programmes for study. About 25% of students are international students.
3. Austria offers a wide range of study opportunities for students
4. English is taught at different levels for various programmes.
5. The country provides great social security and economic stability.
6. The country welcomes generously with hospitality.
7. It provides and exciting place for visiting beautiful locations.
8. The country gives trilling cultural attractions, rich experiences and outdoor activities.
Universities of Austria
Austria provides higher education with state of art facilities and high quality of education. All the nine federal provinces offer higher education with rich academic traditional blend and growth for creativity and innovation. The institutions of Austria have contributed outstanding achievements in providing world class education on international platform. Austria emphasis on providing research based education at higher level of learning. There are four famous universities located in Salzburg, Graz. Innsbrcuck, and Vienna. The oldest university in Austria is the University of Vienna founded in 1365. International students attend the summer school sessions at these universities. The Austria Universities top in the world Universities. Austria is a perfect place of studying science, art and psychology. The universities offer best education for aspiring learners to become thinkers, scientists, artists and psychologists in best schools.
Austria has top ranking institutions all over the country with prominent business schools, law schools, medical and engineering schools. Higher education programs in bachelors and masters and doctoral researches are offered in reputed global institutions of Austria. Austria Education system consists of three higher education institutions: 1.Traditional comprehensive University which offers number of technical and medical studies for post gradates education. 2. The University of Applied Sciences offers higher professional education which provides career based practical training and internships. 3. The Austrian university colleges of teacher education provides three year degree course in Bachelor of Education which provides teaching qualification for primary, secondary and special need schools.
1. Graz University of Technology
This university is ranked among top 10 universities in Europe. The university is internationally recognized in fields of scientific expertise. The university offers a blend of basic, scientific and applied research programs. The institutions offer a wide spectrum of engineering, science and design and programmes. The studies are based o research approaches and self learning. The institutions provide high level tranining and foster creative thinking and critical abilities. The university study motivates and leads the students for pursuing their careers in science with enthusiasm, fostering with personal development. The institutions impart skills to students to become creative thinkers.
2. Danube University of Krems
This university offers masters and short programs for study. It is one of the pioneer institutions in Europe offering advanced studies. It provides technical challenges and focuses on social aspects and on developing innovations for betterment of life. The courses provide education that combine medicine and, management, education and news media, law and social science. The education involves in providing high standard quality with scientific and practical approaches using latest technology and innovative teaching methods.
3. The University of Vienna
This university was founded by Duke Rudolph IV. The university offers more than 180 degree programs and number of diploma, bachelors, masters and doctoral programs. The University of Vienna is the most diverse and largest educational institutions in Austria. Every one has access to the cafeterias and it offers many sports camps, courses and memberships for fitness centers.
4.. Medical University of Graz
The university was established in 1863 by Franz Joseph and it became the first university to celebrate the white coat ceremony. The theme of the university is sustainable health research. The university is sustainable, in health research. the health university focuses on prevention
and preservation of health. The university follows the principles of biopsychosocial model which includes students, staff and instructors to learn and work together. The university caters to the high level patient care.
1. The official name of Austria is Federal Republic of Austria. In German Auistria is called Osterreich which means “Eastern Kingdom”The language spoken in Austria is German.
2. The religion followed is Roman Catholic and Protestant.
3. The national Anthem is Land der Berge, Land am strome (“ Land of mountains, Land on the river)
4.The fourth largest city in Austria Saizburg is famous for its music festivals.
5. The state opera Staatsoper in Vienna is renowned for its fine performances.
6. December 6 is celebrated as Nikolo Day which is the favourite holiday throughout Austria.
7. The head quarters of United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and other United Nations is Vienna.
8. Austria’s highest mountain is the Grossglockner ('great bell')
Admission Process in Austria
1. You need photo copies of school leaving certificates, relevant degree course certificates
2. Original educational documents to be officially to be certified
3. Certificates showing valid scores of English proficiency IELTS and TOEFL
4. Registration fee for Bachelor’s degree /master’s degree or for research work
5. A civil liability certificate along with social security fees.
6. Entrance test are required for entry to degree courses.
7. A copy of English language certificate
8. Financial funds proof for your stay in Finland.
Student Visa Application Process
Those who wish to study in Austria need to apply for visa at the embassy or the Austrian consulate. The processing for a residence permit takes upto six months.
1. The applicants must submit biometric data I ten fingerprints) to enter into Austria
2. You need to schedule an appointment at Austrian embassy and appear in person.
3. The visa information allows for Schegen states to exchange data.
4. Regular students travelling to Schengen can use the visa for a period of 5 years.
5. You need to have a valid passport for at least 3 months.
6. The visa applications must be completely filled to be accepted by the Austrian Embassy.
7. At the time of submitting the application the consular fee is to be paid in cash/postal money/cashier check.
8. Visa application should be submitted well in advance before the departure at least 3-4 weeks.
9. Applicants must appear in person in Austrian Embassy /Consulate.
Austria Student Visa Application Process
The documents that are to be provide for visa are the following
.1. A valid passport signed valid for three months before departure to Austria.
2. The passport must not be more than 10years.
3. A notarized signature of a parent/guardian is required for minors.
4. Visas form to be completed fully and signed.
5. Recent passport photo meeting the criteria to be attached to the application.
6. Travel itinerary showing details of accommodation for entire stay.
7. Letter of acceptance in the university. Insurance healt h document covering the expenses for health problems.
8. Proof for financial funds for tuition fees and other expenses.
9. Letter of grants, scholarships and proof of income.
10. Bank statement of least two months.
11. Visas of countries that you wish to visit after you stay in Austria.
12. If you are a student of exchange program;
1. You need to submit original letter signed by your educational institution.
2. Registration letter proof in original.
3. Proof for financial funds for expenses during the stay in Austria.
4. Proof for lodging in Austria and electronic declaration of liability.
Austrians are cheerful, friendly and enjoy life. They have high spirits in celebrating festivals and special event with gaiety. The people are intellectual and love arts. People in Austria dress like people of America and Canada, and on special days they were traditional costumes. Dirndls the color dress with aprons and designed elaborately with embroidered dresses are worn by women. Lederhosen which consist of short leather pants are worn by men and boy, and simple shirt and, jackets that are made from homespun linen. Austrians celebrate the festivals and religious holidays with joy and gaiety wearing precious folk costumes. In some parts of Austria people celebrate cheerful festival to scare away winter wearing ugly masks making noise with bells and drums. Singing and dancing are part of special occasions like wedding, and the most exciting dances to watch is the Splendid Schuhplaattler. The danced is performed to the music of violin or the Zither. The music is played very fast towards the end of the dance that the dancers run out of breath. On Nikolo Day Nikolo visits the children to find the shoes left by the children. People live a great life in Vienna, and have their own style of living. The Danube River has made
The people of Vienna’s favorite pastime are visiting the cafes and coffeehouses. Austria is known for its popularity of its coffee since 17th century. People enjoy their delicious coffee and pastries in the coffee houses with friends. They read newspapers and chat at cafes. The favourite events in Vienna are operas and concerts and they also enjoy the city’s museums and art galleries. Tickets get sold out in advance before the concerts. The opera House in Vienna is famous and the people are proud of it. During the World War II the Opera House was bombed and poor Austrians in thousands contributed in small amounts of money to rebuild the damaged building. In 1955 the new Opera Housed was opened and the concerts were conducted. The museums have beautiful exhibits, priceless art treasures that are displayed on public display in Belvedere Palace, the Hofburg, and the Kunsthistorisches Museum.
Sports play an important role in Austrians. Throughout the year sports are held in Austria. Sports such as swimming, water skiing mountain climbing and sailing are the favourite summer sports. Skiing and skating are wonderful sports during cold and snowy winters. One finds hundreds of skiing resorts in the mountains and school children take part in skiing as a part of Austrian life. The most spectacular sport of the Austria is the Soccer, the soccer players are looked up as heroes to boys of Austria. Every village in Austria has its own soccer team, the other popular sport activities are weight lifting, wrestling and motorcycle and automobile racing.
The culinary tradition of Vienna is world famous. The dishes reflects the mix of food cultures through centuries and motivates visitors from around the world. Cheese Danish is the most famous specialties with wafer thin strudel pastry filled with cheese and raisins. Tafelspitz is boiled beef pieces with classic garnishes. Erdapfel salat is a delicious side dish made from potatoes.
Cost of Living for Students
Austrian universities provide diverse cultural setting for international students compared to other European countries. Austria universities tuition fees are low and it’s a good choice to study in the country. Austria is one of the safest countries in Europe for studying. The cost of studying is around 1450 Euros per semester. Students can live a high standard of quality life and the living costs are affordable ranging between 900 - 1000 euros /month. Private universities have their own tuition fees ranging from 1000 euros/year to around 40,000 Euros/year. The federal Aid for students offers study grants for certain study areas.
Documents for University Admissions in Austria
The educational institutions organize the admission in Austria. You need to contact the institutions that offers the programmes. The student admission process can be found on www. studienbeginn.at. For higher educational programmes the following documents are required.
1. A valid passport.
2. A secondary leaving school certificate.
3. Language proficiency in Germany certificate.
4. Relevant academic certificates for bachelors and master degree programs.
5. Universities forms to be fully complete and mention the course of study.
6. Travel itinerary providing the details of stay.
Deadlines for applying application for institutions:
September 1st- for applying for winter semester
February 1st- for Summer semester