Higher education in Bulgaria is referred as tertiary education or post secondary education Students with diploma or secondary education are eligible for admission to a higher education program. To enroll for the university/the college the students need to pass the entrance examination. The academic year consists of two terms which starts in September or October and ends in May or June. Bulgaria is a popular destination of international students for study programs.
1. Bulgaria attracts international students due to its excellent quality higher education programs.
2. Bulgaria's diplomas is recognized by EU/EEA and the tuition fees and living costs are reasonable.
3. The university provides program in English, French, Germany and Bulgaria.
4. The government makes provision for possibility of transfer from one university to another university.
5. The university prepares students for advancement in higher level positions.
6. The country provides students the supporting understanding are developing their professional inclinations.
7.The higher education systems offers bachelors, master degree programs and the PhD/ doctorate.
8. The higher education in Bulgaria is autonomous they are designed to provide quality education with international monitoring and evaluation.
9. Bulgaria education is highly valued and appreciated on the global front. Thousands of doctors are placed in medical settings in different countries and all over the world.
Student Life in the Bulgaria
Bulgaria is the destination for international students because of its low costs that's helpful for the students. And also for a low cost of life's style. The property, the accommodation, tuition fee, transport, sports services, food and restaurants costs are low. Most universities have restaurants that provide good meals at reasonable price. There are also eateries at every corner of the cities that provide cheap foods. There are number of international fast foods like pizza hut, Mc Donald's, Kentucky fried chicken, Burger king etc. Students can also cook their food. There are number of annual festivals which includes the traditional music and folk dancing. Cities have different modes of transport for easy transit that includes buses, trams, subway, trolley buses and taxi. The study in Bulgaria offers varied activities such as skiing in winter, beach in summer. Golf waling, mountain fishing, foot ball bird watching etc. Most of them prefer to choose the best; the rest local people are friendly towards the international student s. They have great life by easily fitting into Bulgaria cultural society. The student's life can be enjoyed to the fullest with excitement, fun and creativity.
1. The Capital of Bulgaria is Sofia which is the largest city.
2. The official name of Bulgaria is Republic of Bulgaria.
3. The official language of Bulgaria is Bulgarian, and the currency is Lev.
4. The national flag bears the national colors- white, green and red. The country's coat of arms adopted features a shield and a crown, flanked by lions.
5. The national anthem is “Mila Rodino (“Dear Homeland")
6. The favorite alcoholic drink of Bulgarians is the strong plum brandy.
7. Bulgaria's highest point is the Musala peak situated in the Rhodope Mountains which rises at 9, 595 feet above the sea level in the mountain range.
8. The Alexander Nevsky Cathedral was built to celebrate Bulgaria's liberation from the Ottoman's rule in the late 1800's.
9. The Rila Monastery a historic shrine respected by all Bulgarians is the site of a national museum.
Admission Process in Bulgaria
The international students should have the required qualification for applying for university admission:
1. The international student who wishes to study in Bulgaria should apply as new students or transfer students.
2. The university admission is based on the particular courses chosen in high school
3. The student can apply for undergraduate, graduate, doctoral or exchange program.
4. Higher education is open for all international students. Undergraduate program is four years, graduate program is 2 years and PhD is three years.
5. The courses available for study includes medical study ( medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, nursing, midwifery, veterinary medicine)The double degree program includes the study on hospitality management, international finance, trade, business administration, tourism destination management, tourism business administration, technical programs includes architecture, telecommunication, mechanical, civil, computer science, electronics etc.Requirements for university admission
The admission requirements vary from university to university. The student
1. Should have diploma certificate and secured 62% in profile subjects.
2. Need to secure financial support for education and living expenses.
3. Must be in good health physically, mentally without any contagious disease.
4. Need to have a valid passport.
After getting acceptance letter from the Bulgaria ministry application has to be submitted for Bulgarian student visa. The acceptance letter states that the student is admitted to study in the Bulgaria University.
Student Visa Application Process
After getting acceptance letter the students has to apply for Bulgaria student visa ( D-type) which is valid for 3 to 6 months. The visa can be obtained from any Bulgarian Diplomatic Mission.
Before the communist regime the Bulgarians lived in the rural areas and there was widespread poverty. When the communists came to power, they began with industrialization and most people moved to work in the factories. Presently the living conditions of the people in Bulgaria has improved and most people live in urban areas. However Bulgaria still has lowest standards of living in the Europe. Bulgaria's major force is made up of women who work outside the home, they work of low wages and the jobs are at scarcity. The prices are high due to shortages of houses, food and other basic requirements. People who live in apartments lack the common luxuries of found in western countries. Bulgarians find it difficult to own a television and a radio. Very poor quality of goods are sold in the country. People who live in rural areas live in simple houses and work on farms. The houses lack the basic amenities such as electric power, paved roads and telephone services in the rural areas.Food and recreation
Popular dishes contain lamb, pork beef and yogurt is also popular. They also enjoy the simple stews. The favorite spice for seasoning in the Bulgarian food is garlic. Bulgarians are fond of walking and like meeting friends and relatives. The popular past time for Bulgarians are going to movies, reading books, listening to music and the young people enjoy the dance styles of western countries are popular. The attractive sporting events includes the soccer matches which attracts the spectators and they also love to flock at black sea coast to enjoy the weather and beaches of the coast line. The language Bulgarian is closely related to Russian and Slav languages written in Cyrillic alphabet. Education
Bulgarians who are ages 15 and above can read and write the schools are governed by the government. Children have to attend eight years of elementary school where they study the subjects such as literature, mathematics, art, history and science. There are many institutions that provide higher education and most of all the students go to study high school. Education is compulsory until age 16. The first schools were started din 8th century by the Tzars. The modern schools were established in 19th century and the schools provided basic education and the students who wanted to study further had to go abroad. The education system has four levels the pre-primary, the elementary, the secondary and higher education system. The Bulgarian education system curriculum aims at providing education in Bulgarian language and literature, foreign languages, mathematics, information technology, social sciences and civics, natural sciences, ecology, music and art and physical education and sports. Art and religion
The period between 800's and 900's is called as the golden age of Bulgarian arts, when the artists and craftsmen of Bulgaria created magnificent Byzantine art. In 1000's the Bulgarian literature flourished and when the Ottoman Empire invaded the country during 1300's the art declined and the culture weakened. The finest authors of Bulgaria were Khristo Botev and the Novelist Ivan Vazov. Detailed suffering of the people under the Ottoman rule is vividly described by Vazov. When the communist Party came to power the artistic expression was strictly controlled and the reforms that came with the government the restrictions on the art has be lifted. The performing art is famous in Bulgaria and there are several opera singers who have won the international popularity such as Nikolai Ghiaourav and Boris Christoff.
The reform government gave rights to the people to practice their religion and majority of the people are Bulgarian Orthodox Church and other religious groups includes the Protestants, Muslims and the Roman Catholics. Geography and Climate of Bulgaria
Bulgaria is a mountainous land broken by fertile lands and plains. Due to sharp contrasts in its terrain the climate changes from region to region. It also depends on the altitude and the distance from the sea. The Northern regions of Bulgaria has cold winters and warm and humid summers whereas the southern region has cool winters and hot dry summers.
There are four main land regions:
1. The Danubian plateau which covers the northern Bulgaria from the Danube River to South to the Balkan Mountains. Many rivers including the Bulgarian rivers Iskur and the Yantra, flow into the Danube River. The most fertile soil in the country is the Danubian Plateau. The chief port on the Danube processes food grown in the region. The plateau is a vast sheet of lime stone covered with river silt. The climate is favorable for growing fruits, vegetables and wine grapes. Corn and wheat are grown in drier uplands.
2. The Balkan Mountains cross the Bulgaria from west to east. The tallest mountain in the range is the Botev Peak which stands at 7,795 feet.
3. The transitional Mountains and lowlands lie south of the Balkan Mountains, between the Black sea and the Rhodope Mountains. In this region the farmers grow many kinds of fruits and vegetables.
4. The Rhodope Mountains lie in the southernmost Bulgaria. It stretches across southern Bulgaria and forms a natural boundary with Greece. The region consists of evergreen forests and alpine meadows. The peaks of Pirin Mountains are habitat for bears, wolves and wildcats.
Lying on the black sea coast sandy beaches are the sandy beaches, dunes, rocky cliffs and forests covering the hills. The climatic conditions vary from region to region due to the differences in the terrain. The average temperatures also varies, the summers are humid in northern region and dry in southern Bulgaria. Snowfall occurs lightly in except in the mountains. Economy
The economic growth of the country was hampered due to the poor management and shortages of fuel and skilled labor. The economy was based on the ownerships of factories, mines and farmland by the government. When reform government came to power, the government sold the companies and farms to private owners. The net material product is the manufacturing, mining and energy production sector. Metal products, machinery, processed foods; chemicals form the top manufacturing industries. The country uses old dated equipments and technology and hence the products do not have competitive value in the international markets. Most of the industries cannot function without the assistance of the government. The mining sector includes the deposits of coal, copper, lead, pyrite, salt, sulfur and zinc. A part of the electric power consumption comes from the nuclear plant at Kozloduy. The service industries are the largest group in the country and they provide social, community and personal services such as education and healthcare. The other services include the hotels, restaurants, stores, transportation and communication.
The chief farm product of Bulgaria is the grain, which includes the wheat and the corn. The other grains are oats, rice and rye. Fruits and vegetables, tobacco and roses are also grown. Roses are used to make perfumes. They are harvested in Central Bulgaria, thousands of harvested by hand for their essence. In northwestern Bulgaria golden sunflowers are harvested, the crushed seeds are used to extract a high quality of vegetable oil. Bulgaria is known folk their red and white wines and brandies. Sprit is also made from roses and wine is exported to western countries and some wine is exported to western countries. Livestock chickens, pigs, cattle, goats are raised. The trading partners of Bulgaria are Germany, Italy, Russia, Greece, United Kingdom and the United States. The imports of Bulgaria include metals, fuels and industrial equipments. Transportation and Communication
The Danube River forms the main inland waterway, the main ports on the Black sea re Varna and Burgas. The main airports are in Sofia, Burgas and Varna. The country has railroads and roads. The radio stations and television networks are both state owned and privately owned.
Cost of Living for Students
Student living cost are very low among all countries in the world. Transportation, accommodation food and sport services are vey affordable. Most universities have restaurant that provides good food meals at reasonable price. There are also restaurants at every corner of the cities that provides cheap foods. Ther are pizza huts, Mc Donals, Kentucky fried chicken, burger king etc. students can also cook their food. There are number of annual festivals which include the traditional music and folk dancing. Cities have different modes of transport that includes buses, tram, subway, trolley buses and taxis.
Top Universities in Bulgaria
1. Varna medical university.
VMU opened as higher medical institution by Decree No 414 of the Natural Assembly of republic Bulgaria. It is one of the best medical university in Bulgaria and offers medicine and other medical programs. The institute has designed six years general medical program and six year dental program in English. Students can study medicine in Bulgaria wither in Bulgarian or English. The university offers number of medical programs in Roman languages, which includes medicine dental care, public health, sanitary inspector, paramedical etc. The institute provides post graduate courses and masters degree programs in medicine. Varna medical university stands second in Bulgaria medicine universities. The Varna certificates are recognized around the globe. The university was established in the year 1960. In 1995 the Varna medical university was renamed as the Medical University of Varna. The university is the first member of the Black Sea universities Network. It is also a full member of the European University Association. The university has high tech laboratory and research centers for scientific exchange program, active intercultural cooperation, online discussions and work in new digital settings. The university aims to be a recognized leaser in academic education and in scientific research arena. The university consists of four schools; medicine, dentistry, pharmacy and public health and four hospitals. The institution publishes it sown scientific magazine ‘Scripta Scientifica Medica'.Admission to Medical University of Varna
1. The candidate need to submit an application form duly completed including a brief bio-data of your education and the courses you wish to study.
2. A copy of all secondary education with an academic transcript stating the subjects studied.
3. Proof of documents confirming your right to pursue higher education in schools or universities from your origin country.
4. A health certificate verified with the country from which you are applying and it should not be issued more than a month before the application submission.
5. Two photographs of 4/5cm.
6. All the documents to be translated into Bulgarian language to meet the criteria set by the official state directives.
2. New Bulgarian University
This university was established in 1991 and is a non-profit educational institution located in Sofia City. The institute is co-education and offers courses and programs for higher education programs. The programmes are offered in the areas of arts and humanities, business and social sciences , languages and culture, medicine and health, engineering, science and technology.Admission to New Bulgarian university
The university has a selective admission policy which is based on entrance examinations and students academic records and grades.
3. Trakia University
This university was founded in the year 1995 and it's a profit public higher education institution located in the town of Stara Zagora. Trakia university is a medium size co-educational institution recognized by higher education degrees. The institute offers programs in bachelors, masters and doctorate programs in several areas. The university is 23 years old higher education institution. The university is named after the historical region of Thrace. The university teaches local languages and also English language in medical and veterinary institution. The university is recognized by the National Assessment and Accreditation agency at the council of ministers. The faculties of the university includes faculty of agriculture, medicine, pedagogy, Engineering and technology, economics, and department of intensive teacher training services.
Documents for University Admissions in BulgariaDocuments required for Student Visa
1. Valid passport photocopy
2. Acceptance letter and the certificate from the university stating that student will be accommodated in student hostel.
3. Valid medical insurance to cover the tuition fee and the entire medical expenses during the stay.
4. Bank document showing the details that tuition fee is paid and it has to be in the student's name.
5. Color photograph (3.5cmx 4.5cm) with white background.
6. Original copy of tickets for confirmation and financial funds.
7. Birth certificate copy.
8. Photocopies of visas of last Bulgarian and Schengen visas. Steps to obtain Student residency Permit
1. The first step is to obtain student resident permit and to apply for D-type visa valid for one year, which can be renewed each year.
2. The copy of the national passport with the photo with details.
3. Proof of address for accommodation.
4. Proof for financial sources to cover the expenses and the duration of the stay.
5. Certificate showing the acceptance from the high education institution that you reenlisted for a full time student.
6. Original copy of certificate of admission on to high education issued by Bulgarian Ministry of education and science.
7. Original copy of bank receipt for paid tuition fees.
8. A document to show that the student has no criminal record.
9. A application form from migration office and residency fee to be paid at migration bark office.