- Geography-This country is bordered by several African countries, namely, Morocco, Mali, Libya, Tunisia, Niger, Muaritania, Western Asia. Therefore, you can see some parts of the famous Sahara desert in Algeria. Morocco and Algeria have been in constant battle with each other. At some point of time, their tussle remained for more than two decades. The battle is mainly over getting the control over few provinces of Algeria. The relationship of Algeria with Libya is equally worse. This is also due to the rising number of insurgents in this country. The relationship of Algeria with rest of the countries is not that bad as these two countries.
- History-This country was infested by the Turkish pirates and Spanish invaders during the 16th century. It was just after the fall of the kings of the Berber dynasty. In the early 19th century the Muslim population started to grow in number. Such constant growth led to some amendments in the Algerian assembly. The Muslims became a part of the electorate in the year 1947. There were some other changes in the assembly as well.
- Economy-The economic regulations of the country are centralized. The government has control over a lot of things. Even then, the GDP growth of this country is not much. The generation of the revenue is highly dependent on the hydrocarbon sector. Nonetheless the inflation rate of this country is quite high. But it is expected that in the next two years, the GDP of this country will see a stable growth.
- The currency of Algeria is Algerian Dinar.
- This country celebrates its national day on first of November.
- There are a lot of mountains in this country. The highest peak of Algeria is Mount Tahat which is at a height of 3000 meters.
- The total area of this country is 2,381,740 square kilometers. As you may notice that the area is huge and therefore, it is the tenth largest country in the world. But the main problem is that most of the country is covered with hot and torrid desert. The population of this country is moderate. But here also there is a basic social problem. Maximum children are school dropouts in this country. Maybe with the increasing GDP of this country, the scenario may change in the next two years.
- Algeria is the largest exporter of Butane in the world.
- The national anthem of Algeria is Kassamman. There has been some controversy regarding the lyrics of Kassaman. It has been said that this national anthem has some anti-French views in it.
- Nelson Mandela was trained in Algeria for long. He has confessed that the Algerian army developed him “as a man".
Admission Process in Algeria
- You must download the admission form from the official website of the university. Fill in all the required areas. Don't leave any place blank.
- Along with the application you will have to attach at least one passport size photographs. Just like the photograph supplied for the visa for studying in Algeria, the background in this photograph should be light. The photograph should be colored and it should project the entire face of the candidate. Some universities might require more than one photograph. You must submit as asked by the university.
- The passport of the candidate must have a validity of more than six months. In my suggestion, apply for a course when your passport has a remaining validity of more than 1.5 years. This is because; the process of application, acceptance, application for accommodation, visa, etc., and their acceptance may take a time of more than six months. In that case, all your hard work will be wastage.
- You will have to provide the transcripts of your past academic records. It would be better if it is authenticated by the principal or any other higher authority of your school or college. There is a format for submitting the transcripts. This format could be same or different in different universities. You need to find out the format required from the university. After that, you must download the application form for the transcripts from the website of your college or university. Then after you fill up and submit this application form, you will get a processed academic transcript. This transcript should be submitted to the university in Algeria in their stipulated format. You will have to do this yourself.
- You would require two recommendation letters from the professors of high school or college.
- You need to provide the copy of the medical insurance that you have done for your academic stay in Algeria.
- You need to show the proof of your bank statements. You have to show the identification page and the last page of the pass book of your bank. This is required to show the university that you have the financial stability to continue your education on your own in Algeria. If there are some relatives who are working in Algeria and who will also be supporting you financially, then you must submit their financial statements too.Some universities require a document certifying that you were not involved in any criminal activity prior to applying to this course. This can be provided by the police officers of your locality.
- Last but not the least, you need to pay the fee for the application form to the university. This payment has to be done online. After all the submission of the documents and payment of the fee is over, you will have to wait for maximum one month. Within that time, they will mail you, their decision. If you are selected you will get an acceptance letter, which you have show to the visa consulate office.
Student Visa Application Process
When you decide that you want to study in Algeria and complete your higher education, then you need to do two things, before you apply for the student visa.
- First of all, you must select the university either from the above list or from the rest of set that is not mentioned here. You must immediately apply for the admission in the course. Some universities open the admission during two times of the year, spring and fall. Some universities open the admission process only once. Therefore, go through the official websites and checkout the time within which you need to apply. The details of the documents needed for the admission is given in the following sections.
- Secondly, after you get the acceptance letter from the university, you must book the air tickets to reach Algeria and then come back from there, after the course ends. These tickets have to be shown during the visa interview. If sometimes, when you are supposed to return after 3-4 years to India (that is, if you come back in between, to meet your parents), then its quite impossible to book the air tickets. In that case, produce the acceptance letter, where the duration of the course would be given. This would suffice as a proof of when you will return to India. If you don't possess your itinerary with you, there is no use of going for the visa interview.
One of the advantage of staying and studying in Algeria is its low living costs. So whether be it accommodation or food, you can sustain in Algeria easily. Talking about food, there are a number of dishes that are mouth-watering and also easy on your pocket. So if during the weekends you are planning to eat out with your friends, any of the following dishes could be a great choice in a restaurant. Shakshouka
is one such dish. It is a kind of poach curry. You would have a few egg poaches dipped in curry made of onions, pepper, chili, etc. If you are non-vegetarian but a non-beef eater, then this is a great dish to go with chapattis or rice. There is a good dish for those who are vegetarian. These are fried falafels
. They are basically fried dumplings. They are tasty to eat and also healthy. These are very good substitute for non-vegetarian starter dishes. Although cooking this at home is a little bit tough. Also, the ingredients required for this dish will individually cost you much more. It is better to eat it in a diner. Those who love to eat should try the dish called marguez
. These dishes are also tried with lambs. These are like sausages and thus are very spicy. So if you are indifferent towards spicy dishes, then you should try this dish. It can be consumed along with chapattis.
So as you may understand that Algeria will never disappoint you regarding the food. Now let us look what all are the places that you can visit while you are completing your education in Algeria. You can think of visiting the Fort Santa Cruz
of Oran. This is the second largest port of Algeria. This is a very beautiful place. You can even go and visit it if you have a one-day holiday. This fort was built by the Spanish people in the 16th century. The fort overlooks the Mediterranean Sea. The view from the fort is worth watching. This fort has a lot of historical values and thus is a great place to visit for the history students. Another very interesting place, which is also a citadel is called the Casbah of Algiers
. This place is termed to be the cultural heritage site
of Algeria. There are monuments, mosques, mausoleums, forts in this area. It will take around two days to imbibe the entire history of this area. So it is better that your prepare your trip accordingly.
Other than visiting places during the weekends, you can try to learn something, like some vocational training. You can think of learning Arabic language in any international school in Algeria. Most of the people of Algeria speak in Arabic language. Therefore, it will be easier for you to communicate with the people of Algeria. Sometimes, the university professors conduct their classes in Arabic language. So if you don't know Arabic, then it will be wise to not to enroll for those classes or courses.
Cost of Living for StudentsAccommodation
-You can rent apartments in any prominent city of Algeria. The only thing to remember here is that you must hire an apartment in that place that is close to your university. The more near you stay to your university, the lesser will be the fee required for transportation. The apartments may cost you in between 50,000-1,75,000 Algerian Dinar per month. So the price of the apartment starts from roughly 30,000 INR. What you need to do is, book the accommodations along with your friend, who also has applied in any Algerian university. That way the rent will be split among you. The apartments are quite big and very nice. Therefore, you can share the apartment. You will be provided beds accordingly. Other than that you will get a wardrobe. You may get few other furtniture, depending on the rent you are paying. You may also hire housekeepers, for your everyday chores. But this will cost you around 30 US dollars per hour. So it is better to do your chores on your own. Share the chores like the rent, with your roommates.Food and Transportation
-If you think of taking your dinner in an Algerian restaurant, it would cost you around 200-400 Algerian Dinars. You can afford this. So once in a blue moon or maybe once in two weeks, you can definitely eat out with your friends. Now, I am coming to the cost of the grocery items. It is obvious that you have to cook at home, as you cannot eat out every night. Most of the university canteens remain closed at night. Therefore, you can only think of having lunch at the university campus.The cost of rice, eggs, milk, onion, beans, pulses, etc. are quite cheap in the Algerian markets. You can find some markets where the cost is even lower than the Indian markets. You have to buy water bottles sometimes. These are also very cheap. You will find chicken and beef items to be a little expensive here. The one way ticket in a bus here will cost you in between 15-35 Algerian Dinars. You can buy bus passes on a monthly basis. That will reduce your transportation cost to some amount. You can also think of staying in university hostels. This way, most of the times, your transportation costs will be nil.
Documents for University Admissions in Algeria
- As mentioned earlier, you must apply in the universities of Algeria first. You will have to submit the acceptance letter of the university along with your visa application.
- You need to fill up and sign two copies of the visa application form ad bring it with you during the visa interview.
- You would have to submit a proof of your birth certificate. This birth certificate would be your age proof.
- The validity of your passport must remain for at least for six more months. Along with this, sometimes you need to submit the photocopies of the passport of your legal guardian or parent. The photocopies of each of the passport must contain the page of the identification information.
- You need two recent passport size photographs taken on a light background.
- You need to submit your bank statements, that would prove that you can complete this education with your own financial stability.
- You need to submit the proof of the documents of the medical insurance that you have done for your stay in Algeria.
- Last but definitely not the least, you must pay a visa processing fee before coming for the visa interview.