Andhra University, School of Distance Education and the courses offered.
Andhra University is a State university situated in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. The university produced many pioneers in various fields and made an image of academic excellence., not only in India but also in foreign countries. This university started a School of Distance Education in the year 1972. The syllabus for the programmes in the correspondence course is the same as that of the regular courses for all subjects and the degree awarded will also be the same.
The learning package comprises of self-learning study material, audio-video packages and face-to-face interaction. There is a radio station located in this school (Gyan Vani) and this can be tuned on 106.4 Mhz under the FM band.
There are about 25 study centres and these centres sell applications and pass on the information to students. Face-to-face interaction will be conducted by these centres. Examinations are also conducted by these centres only.
The following are the programmes at the under-graduation level offered by this school in distance mode.
1. B.A (History, Economics, Politics) - 3 Years
2. B.A (History, Public Administration, Politics) - 3 Years
3. B.A (History, Politics, Special English) - 3 Years
4. B.A (History, Politics, Special Telugu) - 3 Years
5. B.A (History, Politics, Sociology) - 3 Years
6. B.A (Public Administration, Politics, Sociology) - 3 Years
7. B.Com. - 3 Years
8. B.Sc. (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry) - 3 Years
9. B.Sc. (Mathematics, Physics, Computers) - 3 Years
10. B.Sc. (Mathematics, Statistics, Computers) - 3 Years
11. B.Sc. (Chemistry, Botany, Zoology) - 3 Years
The following are the Post graduation courses offered by this school.
1. M.A. English - 2 Years
2. M.A. Hindi - 2 Years
3. M.A. Telugu - 2 Years
4. M.A. Economics - 2 Years
5. M.A. History - 2 Years
6. M.A. Political Science - 2 Years
7. M.A. Public Administration- 2 Years
8. M.A. Sociology - 2 Years
9. M.A. Philosophy - 2 Years
10. M.A. / M.Sc. Mathematics - 2 Years
11. M.Com. - 2 Years
12. M.Sc. Psychology - 2 Years
13. M.Sc. Botany - 2 Years
14. M.Sc. Zoology - 2 Years
15. M.Sc. Organic Chemistry - 2 Years
16. M.Sc. Physics - 2 Years
17. M.B.A - (3 years)
18. Executive MBA -(2 years)
19. M.H.R.M - 2 Years
20. M.C.A. - 2 Years
21. MJMC - 2 Years
In addition to the above the school is offering
1. PG Diploma in Cooperation and Rural Studies
2. PG Diploma in Computer Programming and Applications
3. Diploma in Music
The school is also offering B.Com.(Accountancy) and M.A. - Sociology as online courses.
The candidates who want to study through distance mode can go through the details given on the website of the AUDSchool
Distance education has been a popular mode of education. What I have observed is, its demand is increasing day by day in India. In the past few years, the students have learned the importance and values of distance education. Many universities in India offer distance education in a variety of courses like BA, MA, MBA, Diploma, etc. Here is the list of universities which offer distance education in various subjects:
1. Andhra University, School of Distance Education, Visakhapatnam- It is a state university. It is one of the oldest universities and accredited by NAAC with an 'A' grade. The University is known for its academic excellence. It was started in 1972 and has been one of the pioneering institutions in the field of Higher Education. It offers various courses in distance mode.
2. IGNOU-Indira Gandhi National Open University is a public research university located at Maidan Garhi, New Delhi, India. It is a central university and was established in 1985. It is run by the central government of India. It is a very popular university for distance education in India.
3. NIOS- The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS), formerly National Open School is a national-level board of education in India and It is controlled and managed by the Government of India. It was established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development of the Government of India in 1989. It offers various courses in distance mode.
Every year, a large number of students who are not able to undertake regular courses because of various reasons apply for courses in these institutions. I recommend you do proper research before finalising the university for your distance courses.
If you are not able to take formal education due to any reason, there is a chance for you to take admission in distance courses. If you have not taken education and want to appear in high school examinations, then you can do it by distance courses. NIOS (The Nation Institute of Open Schooling) is the best platform to take admission.
At the university level, The Indra Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) provide difference courses in distance mode. IGNOU is internationally recognized and you can do these courses in distance mode from your home. The fees of all courses are also nominal and main aim is to provide education to all.
There are many Universities in India like IGNOU, NMIMS, Chandigarh University, Amity, Symbiosis, Sikkim Manipal, Delhi University, LPU etc which are offering distance education in a variety of courses. A large number of students who are not able to undertake the regular course are doing courses of their interest from these institutions.
Some of the courses/streams/categories which are quite common in this mode are MBA, BBA, BA, BCA, MCA, BJMC, MJMC, BLIS, MLIS, HRM, B.Ed., LL.B, B Sc., M.Sc., M.Com., OG Diploma etc.